The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jojo_555
I took a year out because I did so bad in my exams. I lost motivation, parents weren't happy at all and showed no support, felt embarrassed to tell my friends. All of that itself, made me want to prove something.
I changed college with overall grades of DDEB in Maths, Chem, Physics and Psychology. Retook my maths, chem and physics. Literally resat everything except maybe one or two exams. I worked my ass off, asked for help when I needed it, did every past paper, made sure I didn't mess about.
I ended up coming out with A*AAB and now I am in university studying Pharmacy. I was so happy and telling my parents literally gave them the biggest shock.

Did you resit a hole year or most of your units? Also, for maths when did you start doing past papers before the exam?
Original post by ibby1997
Did you resit a hole year or most of your units? Also, for maths when did you start doing past papers before the exam?

So basically, I did 2 years at a sixth form and that resulted in me getting such low grades. I moved to a college and resat my A2 year (every A2 exam) and certain AS ones that I did badly in. I resat the whole of maths in one year though because the exam boards were different and I didnt want to keep my AS grade which was a C. With maths, I did the A2 stuff along with everyone else in the class and made sure to literally do every questions in the book so that I understood it. With maths questions, they are all generally the same but with different numbers put in.
It's really a practise makes perfect kinda thing. Keep learning examples and doing past papers. But yeah I did them one by one throughout the year so core 1 then 2 n stats while learning core 3, 4 n mechanics at college. It's hard work but if you put in the effort, maths aint that bad :biggrin:
Original post by teen1234
ABBC at AS is psychology biology maths and chemistry respectively
Dropped the A in psychology for A2 and ended up getting A*A*A in maths bio chem.
First year wasnt too good since i thought i could doss around in lessons and still come out with A*s just like GCSE by getting out the textbook a week before the exam. Second year I paid attention in class and actually did homework, with a decent prep before the exams I raised my grades.
Pretty chuffed to go from BBC to A*A*A, it is possible.

EDIT - A little update. im going to be studying dentistry in september:biggrin:

Hey man,
I know your post is old but I was wondering if you could give me any study tips to get the A level grades you did? I am also trying to get into dental school but missed out on my place. I got aabb for my AS and BBC for A2 recently. I think it may have been due to having no breaks or free periods as i did AS art with my A2. I am on the AQA exam board for biology and chemistry and on OCR MEI for maths. What exam boards did you do and can you give me any study tips? It would be really really appreciated. I am doing my gap year now.

I understand if you are too busy to answer and sorry for the late post; I saw it on an old forum.

Thank you.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Good luck as-well, remember this is our year to set the precedent.

Thanks, and you are correct!!!
Reply 504
Original post by The Velour Fog
BCEU for AS results, which I account for laziness and not attending classes.

In the summer exams for A2, I pretty much resat everything (all but three exams, one being coursework) on top of the June '12 exams and got AAC. My dad died slap bang in the middle of my summer exams, right after i'd finished resitting my AS exams.

I resat a couple of papers in January whilst working (on average) 50 hour weeks, pushing my grades up to AAB.

So yes, it's entirely do-able! Saying you're too busy/tired is no excuse!

Waw you're so strong. I admire what you did
Original post by The Velour Fog
BCEU for AS results, which I account for laziness and not attending classes.

In the summer exams for A2, I pretty much resat everything (all but three exams, one being coursework) on top of the June '12 exams and got AAC. My dad died slap bang in the middle of my summer exams, right after i'd finished resitting my AS exams.

I resat a couple of papers in January whilst working (on average) 50 hour weeks, pushing my grades up to AAB.

So yes, it's entirely do-able! Saying you're too busy/tired is no excuse!

Wow, that's amazing! Just the kind if inspiration I need! I got ACCE for AS and am hoping to resit 3 exams this summer (both my chem which was the E and I psych which was a C) but worry that it may be too much with all my A2. I was also very lazy at AS though and am hoping if I start revising each lesson as we do it, it'll help me understand better and make it easier when it comes to exams.
I'm hoping to come out with ABCC, bringing the E up to a C is the big challenge for me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got BBCC in my AS, was predicted ABBB so I'm quite disappointed.
I was lazy and didn't concentrate very much last year.. like everyone seems to say haha. Taking art with a teacher who hated me was probably another reason why I didn't perform as well as I should have. I dropped art (got a C)... so much happier already.

I have serious issues with revision and concentration and I have no idea what to do!
I will be retaking 1 unit from History AS (got a B) and 1 unit from Psychology (C) to hopefully make my grades at A2 closer to what I want to achieve.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for Psychology or Business Studies A levels?
My aspirational university is Edinburgh.. does anyone think I will have a chance of getting an offer for Political Science and Sociology if I manage to get AAB/ABB this year?
Original post by harrietmcg
I got BBCC in my AS, was predicted ABBB so I'm quite disappointed.
I was lazy and didn't concentrate very much last year.. like everyone seems to say haha. Taking art with a teacher who hated me was probably another reason why I didn't perform as well as I should have. I dropped art (got a C)... so much happier already.

I have serious issues with revision and concentration and I have no idea what to do!
I will be retaking 1 unit from History AS (got a B) and 1 unit from Psychology (C) to hopefully make my grades at A2 closer to what I want to achieve.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice for Psychology or Business Studies A levels?
My aspirational university is Edinburgh.. does anyone think I will have a chance of getting an offer for Political Science and Sociology if I manage to get AAB/ABB this year?

We are scarily alike!! I took art at AS with a teacher who had favourites too (I was one!) I got a D which I'm over the moon about dropping.
I was also very lazy last year (extremely stressed too thanks to art and 4 other subjects)and struggle with revision, I'm turning over a new leaf this year, hopefully it''ll mean I can get into Leeds. I still do 4 subjects because without art I feel like I can cope, even if it means working extra hard to pull up an E in one. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheBlueBiro
We are scarily alike!! I took art at AS with a teacher who had favourites too (I was one!) I got a D which I'm over the moon about dropping.
I was also very lazy last year (extremely stressed too thanks to art and 4 other subjects)and struggle with revision, I'm turning over a new leaf this year, hopefully it''ll mean I can get into Leeds. I still do 4 subjects because without art I feel like I can cope, even if it means working extra hard to pull up an E in one. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha thats so weird!
So you did like your art teacher? I am super sensitive so I honestly couldnt handle being disliked in a class of 4 other people who were all amazing at art! How on earth did you manage to take 5 AS subjects including art????!! thats amazing! I have been told by pretty much everyone that taking 4 subjects at A Levels wont be any advantage unless you have As in all AS results, but good luck! Which subject will you do at uni?
haha thats so weird!
So you did like your art teacher? I am super sensitive so I honestly couldnt handle being disliked in a class of 4 other people who were all amazing at art! How on earth did you manage to take 5 AS subjects including art????!! thats amazing! I have been told by pretty much everyone that taking 4 subjects at A Levels wont be any advantage unless you have As in all AS results, but good luck! Which subject will you do at uni?

Thanks, good luck to you too! I'm hoping sociology or criminology or something but the requirements for Leeds are really high and I dunno if I can get in, I'm gonna try my best obviously. I reckon if I give it my all, I can come out with decent grades, I know people here get As and A*s all the time but I average A-C normally. My 4th subject is Citizenship, which is accepted for most uni courses but not all, I just like to keep it there for reassurance as it's not extremely difficult and it's there if I happen to mess up something else. :s-smilie:
I had 2 art teachers, one was ok, I couldn't stand the other. She was always so critical of everything and made you feel stupid yet if she did something stupid and you were to point out, she'd get really annoyed (haha I liked to do that sometimes)! No one in my class liked her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, good luck to you too! I'm hoping sociology or criminology or something but the requirements for Leeds are really high and I dunno if I can get in, I'm gonna try my best obviously. I reckon if I give it my all, I can come out with decent grades, I know people here get As and A*s all the time but I average A-C normally. My 4th subject is Citizenship, which is accepted for most uni courses but not all, I just like to keep it there for reassurance as it's not extremely difficult and it's there if I happen to mess up something else. :s-smilie:
I had 2 art teachers, one was ok, I couldn't stand the other. She was always so critical of everything and made you feel stupid yet if she did something stupid and you were to point out, she'd get really annoyed (haha I liked to do that sometimes)! No one in my class liked her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok fair enough. I am hoping to do Politics and Sociology but haven't decided where I want to go yet.. I swear 9/10 art teachers have something wrong with them personality wise hahaha.
Have you looked around leeds? I have looked at Manchester, Liverpool briefly, Birmingham, Exeter, Edinburgh, and I live near Brighton at the moment. They are all really nice universities but think I will chose a city/campus rather than a campus uni.
I'm sure you will do great! All of the posts in this thread have boosted my confidence and I really think that I can get an AAB or ABB. I've also just started going to the gym which is surprisingly helpful to settle my mind a bit. :redface:
Ahh ok fair enough. I am hoping to do Politics and Sociology but haven't decided where I want to go yet.. I swear 9/10 art teachers have something wrong with them personality wise hahaha.
Have you looked around leeds? I have looked at Manchester, Liverpool briefly, Birmingham, Exeter, Edinburgh, and I live near Brighton at the moment. They are all really nice universities but think I will chose a city/campus rather than a campus uni.
I'm sure you will do great! All of the posts in this thread have boosted my confidence and I really think that I can get an AAB or ABB. I've also just started going to the gym which is surprisingly helpful to settle my mind a bit. :redface:

I'm also looking at York as well as some point-based Unis such as in case I don't make it in. I really want to go to Leeds because it's a good Uni and I live in Leeds so I'm familiar with everything, also I don't want to move out hahaha. I've been to Leeds Uni before, no others though, Im going to start booking some open days in the coming weeks.
The gym sounds like a good idea to help cope with the stress. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got predicted AABC for AS ended up with DDEE :eek: due to pure laziness so I dropped one and I'm carrying onto A2 while resitting some AS exams I will end up with 12 exams and will hopefully come out with A*AA-ABB I'm working much harder this year and finding it quite easy since I dropped one subject.
Original post by Awais117
I got predicted AABC for AS ended up with DDEE :eek: due to pure laziness so I dropped one and I'm carrying onto A2 while resitting some AS exams I will end up with 12 exams and will hopefully come out with A*AA-ABB I'm working much harder this year and finding it quite easy since I dropped one subject.

I was predicted ABBB and got ACCDE. I dropped art(D) but hope to retake the E. 11 exams(8 A2 and 3 resits) for me so I understand your problem completely.This getting rid of January exams idea is awful. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was predicted ABBB and got ACCDE. I dropped art(D) but hope to retake the E. 11 exams(8 A2 and 3 resits) for me so I understand your problem completely.This getting rid of January exams idea is awful. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it can be done with hard work I was doing chem, bio, maths and physics then I dropped physics.
I failed my AS-Levels and came out with ABBBB(maths,Fmaths,Bio,Chem,Physics). The B's were spookily all 76% UMS apart from chemistry which was 239/300, what's the realistic chance if pulling this up to AAAAA or AAAA*A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
make sure that you get 85%+ in all of the A2 modules. If you drop some A2s and retake some modules of previous AS (to make life easier) you can easily do it. You are in a good position.
Reply 517
Doing aqa AS maths this year and it's been three years since I've done maths Fml.

Does anyone know any good resources that will help me?

Thanks so much in advanced

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ImAz
Doing aqa AS maths this year and it's been three years since I've done maths Fml.

Does anyone know any good resources that will help me?

Thanks so much in advanced

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exam solutions or youtube
Reply 519
Original post by fading_away97
Exam solutions or youtube

Thanks I'll give me a shot

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest