The Student Room Group

Am i taking a risk?

hi, i recently started my A2 but my AS result was a disappointment where i just got Psychology- C, Business studies- C, Biology-D and English literature- E. (i dropped E.L). However, i aspire to do something related to hospital maybe nursing and i did look up at some universities. Generally, i at least need BBB. Sometimes i do get a feeling that i should resit my whole AS again but then, i do get into a dilemma that i shouldn't. The biggest question atm is would any good universities like kings (i know my chances are too thin to even think about it) or maybe queen mary's consider and offer me a place when i apply for it?? Or do i just resit the whole year. Honestly i do not desire to resit the whole year once again because i do have a plan if i didnt do so. But i would sincerely be grateful if i could get a good advice or help. Thank u.
Reply 1
Original post by pagorai
hi, i recently started my A2 but my AS result was a disappointment where i just got Psychology- C, Business studies- C, Biology-D and English literature- E. (i dropped E.L). However, i aspire to do something related to hospital maybe nursing and i did look up at some universities. Generally, i at least need BBB. Sometimes i do get a feeling that i should resit my whole AS again but then, i do get into a dilemma that i shouldn't. The biggest question atm is would any good universities like kings (i know my chances are too thin to even think about it) or maybe queen mary's consider and offer me a place when i apply for it?? Or do i just resit the whole year. Honestly i do not desire to resit the whole year once again because i do have a plan if i didnt do so. But i would sincerely be grateful if i could get a good advice or help. Thank u.

You shouldn't resit the whole year. I got BDD which is quite bad in my opinion but i'm not letting that stop me.
Your predicted grades should be around BBC-BBB so you should be fine.
Don't worry. You could retake some AS exams on top of A2.
That's what i'm doing.

BTW: I'll be applying for children's nursing and my predicted grades are ABB
Reply 2
Original post by Shanzii
You shouldn't resit the whole year. I got BDD which is quite bad in my opinion but i'm not letting that stop me.
That's what i'm doing.

thank u for ur advice. my predicted grades were BBCC. Im not sure about this year. Anyways its just that i needed someone to tell me not to retake it, just for some re-assurance because i have no confident when it comes to decision taking. Hopefully, this is the right decision.
Original post by Shanzii
That's what i'm doing.

How on earth did you manage to bump your predictions up so high? That's crazy.
Reply 4
Original post by pagorai
thank u for ur advice. my predicted grades were BBCC. Im not sure about this year. Anyways its just that i needed someone to tell me not to retake it, just for some re-assurance because i have no confident when it comes to decision taking. Hopefully, this is the right decision.

Your welcome :smile:
Your predicted grades are really important because that's how you get offers from Unis

If you're not satisfied with your AS grades, then retake a exam in which you got the lowest grade.
Trust me, it is the right decision.

I have friends who resat the year and got worst grades than before :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
How on earth did you manage to bump your predictions up so high? That's crazy.

Lol I didn't. My teachers know that I messed up and started revision late. Also, I am one of those people who find it hard to write down what a question asks so I never really answer the question. This was my downfall and I have since improved

I'm predicted an A for biology. I got a very high D (5 marks away from a C) plus I'll be retaking unit 1 because I got an E in it. My unit 2 was a mark from a B and my coursework was a mark from a B. So if I get a B/A then my overall AS grade will be a high B. This would boost up my A2 grade hopefully.

I'm predicted a B for psychology. I got a B at AS so despite my predicted grade, I'll be aiming for an A or an A* if I can get 90% or more.

I'm predicted a B for chemistry. I got a high D in this also but F321 definitely brought down my grade because I got a U in it. I'll be retaking this unit as I can boost up my grade to at least a B as my F322 was a mark from a C and my coursework was a B

Overall, I think my predictions are high but if I work hard then I'll definitely achieve this or even exceed it. I learnt my lesson the hard way and I'll be putting 110% into my exams from now on.

Lol i'm sorry for the long explanation :wink:
Original post by Shanzii
Lol I didn't. My teachers know that I messed up and started revision late. Also, I am one of those people who find it hard to write down what a question asks so I never really answer the question. This was my downfall and I have since improved

I'm predicted an A for biology. I got a very high D (5 marks away from a C) plus I'll be retaking unit 1 because I got an E in it. My unit 2 was a mark from a B and my coursework was a mark from a B. So if I get a B/A then my overall AS grade will be a high B. This would boost up my A2 grade hopefully.

I'm predicted a B for psychology. I got a B at AS so despite my predicted grade, I'll be aiming for an A or an A* if I can get 90% or more.

I'm predicted a B for chemistry. I got a high D in this also but F321 definitely brought down my grade because I got a U in it. I'll be retaking this unit as I can boost up my grade to at least a B as my F322 was a mark from a C and my coursework was a B

Overall, I think my predictions are high but if I work hard then I'll definitely achieve this or even exceed it. I learnt my lesson the hard way and I'll be putting 110% into my exams from now on.

Lol i'm sorry for the long explanation :wink:

I'm not at all doubting your ability to meet the prediction, it's just crazy how you got predicted those grades! Good luck for your exams anyway, and be consistent revising. That's the key to getting high grades :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Mr.Econometrics
I'm not at all doubting your ability to meet the prediction, it's just crazy how you got predicted those grades! Good luck for your exams anyway, and be consistent revising. That's the key to getting high grades :biggrin:

Ok sorry for making that assumption.
I was shocked too. It's nice to see that they believe in me :smile:
Thank you and I will be revise consistently :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Shanzii
Your predicted grades are really important because that's how you get offers from Unis

If you're not satisfied with your AS grades, then retake a exam in which you got the lowest grade.
Trust me, it is the right decision.

I have friends who resat the year and got worst grades than before :s-smilie:

Thats why i am nt too confident about repeating a whole year. Coming from a different continent (i studied in india before coming to england) and just starting ALevels as soon as i came, it definitely wasnt the best situation for me. It did take alot of effort to even cope with the education system, therefore i always lagged behind when it came to the whole exam, coursework thing. And i always had the problem of writing way too slow and try perfecting one answer or just not understanding and reading the question properly(english is my second language). Therefore i was in such a great dilemma cause no one actually, not evn myself have that much of confident regarding these decisions. But since u advised me without hesitation, i sincerely thank u for that. Thanks alot. My head do feel alot lighter.
Reply 9
Original post by pagorai
Thats why i am nt too confident about repeating a whole year. Coming from a different continent (i studied in india before coming to england) and just starting ALevels as soon as i came, it definitely wasnt the best situation for me. It did take alot of effort to even cope with the education system, therefore i always lagged behind when it came to the whole exam, coursework thing. And i always had the problem of writing way too slow and try perfecting one answer or just not understanding and reading the question properly(english is my second language). Therefore i was in such a great dilemma cause no one actually, not evn myself have that much of confident regarding these decisions. But since u advised me without hesitation, i sincerely thank u for that. Thanks alot. My head do feel alot lighter.

I think you did great considering your situation. I did worse than you and I was born here lol.
I write really slow too and I struggle to understand and answer questions so you're not alone.
You should be proud of yourself though. You've achieved good AS grades. So what if you got an E in E.L, I got a U in maths. We just have to carry on and work much harder than we did before.
Be confident. I'm sure you can exceed your predicted grades with hard work
Reply 10
Original post by Shanzii
I think you did great considering your situation. I did worse than you and I was born here lol.
I write really slow too and I struggle to understand and answer questions so you're not alone.
You should be proud of yourself though. You've achieved good AS grades. So what if you got an E in E.L, I got a U in maths. We just have to carry on and work much harder than we did before.
Be confident. I'm sure you can exceed your predicted grades with hard work

thank u so so much!
Oh my god! i'm in the exact situation as you lol. I even achieved the same AS grades as you :eek:
Reply 12
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Oh my god! i'm in the exact situation as you lol. I even achieved the same AS grades as you :eek:

Are you taking the same subjects as well??
Original post by pagorai
Are you taking the same subjects as well??

kind of. I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.
Firstly, relax. I would suggest you resit your AS exams because they are the ones you should get the top grades in if you finish with one. If you aim to finish an a-level with a B in something you should get a B at least in the AS level. Not required obviously but honestly it's just a much easier route. So resit your AS exams and do your A2. Try and do well in both but make sure you do well in your AS resits. Worst comes to worst you will have good grades (b's or higher) in the AS resits and nobody can take that away from you. Then you can resit A2 the next year (so a 3 year course).

I know this sounds bad and a bit of a dilemma but you're not at school anymore. It does not matter how long it takes you to get your A-levels. Even in qualified jobs you need to take exams to become a qualified nurse or whatever and the time it takes for that varies too. Once you apply for a-levels you should accept that your academic life is no longer linear, it could even take 4 years. It's no problem universities won't judge you or reject you if you couldn't do it in 2 years.

By the way, Queen Mary is a really good uni. It's just a bit boring and robotic. People are focused and it's steered much more towards locking yourself away and studying rather than student parties.
Reply 15
kind of. I'm taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology.

Oh! do u have any plan or .....?
Reply 16
Original post by yilmaz33
Firstly, relax. I would suggest you resit your AS exams because they are the ones you should get the top grades in if you finish with one. If you aim to finish an a-level with a B in something you should get a B at least in the AS level. Not required obviously but honestly it's just a much easier route. So resit your AS exams and do your A2. Try and do well in both but make sure you do well in your AS resits. Worst comes to worst you will have good grades (b's or higher) in the AS resits and nobody can take that away from you. Then you can resit A2 the next year (so a 3 year course).

I know this sounds bad and a bit of a dilemma but you're not at school anymore. It does not matter how long it takes you to get your A-levels. Even in qualified jobs you need to take exams to become a qualified nurse or whatever and the time it takes for that varies too. Once you apply for a-levels you should accept that your academic life is no longer linear, it could even take 4 years. It's no problem universities won't judge you or reject you if you couldn't do it in 2 years.

By the way, Queen Mary is a really good uni. It's just a bit boring and robotic. People are focused and it's steered much more towards locking yourself away and studying rather than student parties.

Thank u and i do not mind because it doesn't sound bad but the fact that i do not live with my family (i live with my dad's friends family) (my family is in hongkong) and i have had completed my indian level of gcse (by living in a boarding school) after studying there for 5 years kinda makes me miserable to say that i do miss home. The stress about repeating a whole year wouldnt just mean "just another year", it also mean living in someone's house for another year! As simple as it sounds, it definitely isn't. It never does feel like at home u know, the homely support and ease isn't always there which will be definitely required by me. Sadly i am not that person who is very comfortable with people and having to live under daily regulation does make my mind tired. That would be one of the major reason as to why i am so hesitant about repeat my AS. But i do understand that u do not intent to be rude or so. i appreciate your response.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pagorai
Oh! do u have any plan or .....?

I have decided to retake year 12 because i don't think i will be capable of taking all my AS exams along with my A2 exams as I would just ruin my A levels results. I think it was better for me to start fresh and score the maximum possible marks in AS to make it a little easier for me in A2. Also I have decided to start revising for A2 whilst i'm studying for my AS exams because I already know my AS stuff. Good luck in whatever ever you do in your future and hopefully you will make the right decision :smile:
Reply 18
I have decided to retake year 12 because i don't think i will be capable of taking all my AS exams along with my A2 exams as I would just ruin my A levels results. I think it was better for me to start fresh and score the maximum possible marks in AS to make it a little easier for me in A2. Also I have decided to start revising for A2 whilst i'm studying for my AS exams because I already know my AS stuff. Good luck in whatever ever you do in your future and hopefully you will make the right decision :smile:

oh, that is a wise decision. i would definitely do the same thing if i was a little more reassured about what i actually wanted to do. Let me just take this risk of continuing and hopefully i wish it works out. Thank you and i wish u the same. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest