The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine (A100) Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rumschpringe
Just a question to current students, do you suggest we brush up on any biology before starting? I haven't studied biology for over a year and I've forgotten most of it, so I'm a bit concerned I'll have a lot of catching up to do...

No.
Original post by Kyalimers
No.

ok. :tongue:
Original post by Rumschpringe
Just a question to current students, do you suggest we brush up on any biology before starting? I haven't studied biology for over a year and I've forgotten most of it, so I'm a bit concerned I'll have a lot of catching up to do...

its not necessary but it certainly wouldn't hurt!
No.

Whats with this new curriculum thing then? As a current medic @ L'pool (in one of the older years :tongue:) it has no effect on me, but arent they gunna do teaching of basic sciences from this academic year to the lower years?
Original post by *Dreamer*
Whats with this new curriculum thing then? As a current medic @ L'pool (in one of the older years :tongue:) it has no effect on me, but arent they gunna do teaching of basic sciences from this academic year to the lower years?

That's precisely the intended change. I believe there will be less focus on clinical attachments in second year now as well with a view to dedicated anatomy, physiology and biochemistry teaching in first and second years and more focused pathology teaching in second year and thereafter.

Unfortunately, the medical school hasn't quite released specific details so apart from the review (linked to in my OP), there is an element of pot luck about the structure of Year 1 and 3 this coming September. The only other change is to Year 5 where the PETA is becoming managed electronically.
That's precisely the intended change. I believe there will be less focus on clinical attachments in second year now as well with a view to dedicated anatomy, physiology and biochemistry teaching in first and second years and more focused pathology teaching in second year and thereafter.

Unfortunately, the medical school hasn't quite released specific details so apart from the review (linked to in my OP), there is an element of pot luck about the structure of Year 1 and 3 this coming September. The only other change is to Year 5 where the PETA is becoming managed electronically.

Lol pathology - two letters T.H :rolleyes: they don't know what they're in for haha

OK, thats good for them - its about time that teaching was introduced. I love uni but the laissez-faire approach is lazy IMO - some things just have to get taught
Lol pathology - two letters T.H :rolleyes: they don't know what they're in for haha

OK, thats good for them - its about time that teaching was introduced. I love uni but the laissez-faire approach is lazy IMO - some things just have to get taught

Pathology is key, imo. For those entering a hospital-based career, without key knowledge of basic pathology, there is no hope. For example, if I were to ask the inflammation process (which is pathophysiology) leading to scar healing, I doubt more than 10% of the current crop of third years could answer competently. Yet, it is the core ideology behind surgical incisions.

I agree that the teaching has been relatively poor thus far. Whilst more of it was necessary, I don't want Liverpool to burden students with information. I would much rather I had the time to study how, when and where I want. That was one of the big positives for me. Instead of adding a lot of teaching, students would benefit from more quality teaching instead. Some of the lectures that I sat through in 2nd and 3rd year were utterly pointless and people stopped attending lectures given by certain lecturers.
Pathology is key, imo. For those entering a hospital-based career, without key knowledge of basic pathology, there is no hope. For example, if I were to ask the inflammation process (which is pathophysiology) leading to scar healing, I doubt more than 10% of the current crop of third years could answer competently. Yet, it is the core ideology behind surgical incisions.

I agree that the teaching has been relatively poor thus far. Whilst more of it was necessary, I don't want Liverpool to burden students with information. I would much rather I had the time to study how, when and where I want. That was one of the big positives for me. Instead of adding a lot of teaching, students would benefit from more quality teaching instead. Some of the lectures that I sat through in 2nd and 3rd year were utterly pointless and people stopped attending lectures given by certain lecturers.

I completely agree about the importance of pathology - my remark was purely about a certain pathology lecturer.

Fair enough and I think most people understand/understood that there was a lot of independent work and I like that aspect too. Yet if we get minimal useful teaching then what are the tuition fees for - placements? It'd probably work out cheaper if we paid the hospital directly lol. But fingers crossed things will improve for the better and we'll be higher up on league tables :rolleyes:
I completely agree about the importance of pathology - my remark was purely about a certain pathology lecturer.

Fair enough and I think most people understand/understood that there was a lot of independent work and I like that aspect too. Yet if we get minimal useful teaching then what are the tuition fees for - placements? It'd probably work out cheaper if we paid the hospital directly lol. But fingers crossed things will improve for the better and we'll be higher up on league tables :rolleyes:

He's the same person I was referring to, tbh.

You haven't seen the infamous FOI request to the medical school then? The university pays unbelievable amounts of money to each hospital for student placements.
He's the same person I was referring to, tbh.

You haven't seen the infamous FOI request to the medical school then? The university pays unbelievable amounts of money to each hospital for student placements.

Ah, I can't say I have! Whats the ball park figure?

And is it all really necessary? Ive definitely had days on placement esp in 2nd year where I could have done some reading or had a decent lecture instead of being scolded by a consultant for not knowing about primary sclerosing cholangitis, but have forced myself to be grateful for being 'taught'

And is it all really necessary? Ive definitely had days on placement esp in 2nd year where I could have done some reading or had a decent lecture instead of being scolded by a consultant for not knowing about primary sclerosing cholangitis, but have forced myself to be grateful for being 'taught'

Per annum, just one hospital, namely the Royal, received over £22M in funding (2010-11) for having medical and dental students there. That figure increases every year, generally.

Being grilled on clinical placements has probably taught me the most useful information throughout medical school. It's the stuff that remains with me, even now, and hopefully will help me in the future.

Edit: Not all of that money comes from the University, btw.

Here's the actual FOI requests:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/james_hare

Knew they were somewhere!

Liverpool currently subscribes to the PBL approach (this is subject to change in the future pending review). Update: Please note that in October 2013, the decision was made to change the structure and content of the medical curriculum at Liverpool. The changes will take effect for students from the 2014 academic year onwards.

In essence, PBL will no longer be the mainstay of medical teaching at Liverpool; there will be an increased focus on anatomy, physiology and biochemistry within years 1 and 2. Positive elements of the PBL curriculum have been retained as suggested by students and staff; however, there will be more formalised teaching and support for students. My personal opinion of these changes are very positive and I would describe the new course as an integrated spiral curriculum.

Entry Requirements

Interview

Decisions

Admission Statistics

Course Overview

Accommodation

The University & Campus

The City

FAQs (answered by current medical students - about PBL/the old course are in post 2)

Join the Facebook Liverpool Medics 2014 Entry Group if you have an offer!

Is there a link for a 2015 entry thread?
Original post by lisa789
Is there a link for a 2015 entry thread?

Haven't made one yet. May do so soon though!
Original post by Cutaneoplast™
Just to increase my post count on TSR lols. :wink: Don't think DermSoc is part of theirs. You free on the 27th September to give a mini lecture to pre-med applicants? It's basically an access to medicine type event to help students get into medical school. And can I bribe you with a certificate? :biggrin: I'll PM you with more details tomorrow. Thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do I have a choice? :tongue:

PM me :smile:
Reply 1755
Did anyone get an interview without getting 18/18 for GCSE? Is it really not worth my time applying for Liverpool with my GCSE score of 17/18?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
Did anyone get an interview without getting 18/18 for GCSE? Is it really not worth my time applying for Liverpool with my GCSE score of 17/18?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That score is fine.
Reply 1757
That score is fine.

Thank you, sorry if it looks like I'm panicking over nothing but I've read more than one post on the forum say that Liverpool pretty much only interview candidates with 18/18 at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
Thank you, sorry if it looks like I'm panicking over nothing but I've read more than one post on the forum say that Liverpool pretty much only interview candidates with 18/18 at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolute BS. Historically, statistics suggest 16+ (but mainly 17+ for comfortability) will get you an interview if other factors are right i.e. PS.
Original post by Cutaneoplast™
Just to increase my post count on TSR lols. :wink: Don't think DermSoc is part of theirs. You free on the 27th September to give a mini lecture to pre-med applicants? It's basically an access to medicine type event to help students get into medical school. And can I bribe you with a certificate? :biggrin: I'll PM you with more details tomorrow. Thanks. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you get my PMs? Never got a reply!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending