The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Official Warwick Economics Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trinh Hong Khanh
I got AABC in Math,Further Math,Economics and Chemistry respectively and I would like to apply to Economics/Mathematics and Economics at University of Warwick.I think i can pursuade my teachers to predict me like A*AAB or above.

I plan to resit some modules in those subjects to push my overall grades up.Do I stand a chance to get into this course and does resitting place me at disadvantage?

Regarding your first point, I will restate my reply from above. The application is viewed in its entirety (no specific importance/weight is given), all components are important: current/predicted grades, personal statement, past academic record and academic reference. You will be competing against students who are strong in all areas and therefore, all areas in your application need to be strong. Whether “aabc” is strong or not will depend on grades among the cohort you are competing against.

Regarding retaking AS modules, for competitive courses like Warwick Economics this may disadvantage your application as you will be competing with students who got excellent results first time around. However, you should not be put off applying, because we always read the full application, we take any contextual information into account, and we look at overall results not marks in specific modules.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
I wanted to ask if an epq grade would be considered in the offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do universities respect biology as an A-Level if you wanna do economics?
Bearing in mind I am doing Economics and Maths A2 as well
Any advice would be great
I took on too much in my AS year and because of that I feel that I've performed quite badly. My grades were:

B Maths A2 (Taken a year early)

a Maths AS

b Computing AS

a Economics AS

c Physics AS

a* Extended Project

My predicted grades will be: AAABa* (the B is in physics).

I don't have any extenuating circumstances, I just did poorly this year, but I'm confident that if I got the standard offer I'd be able to meet it because I've taken on a more sensible workload this year.

Is there any point me applying, and is there a realistic chance of me getting an offer?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 944
Hi, for Economics at warwick are applicants who declare their module grades preferred in any way? And if a applicant had all A's at AS overall but B's in a couple of modules would this disadvantage their application in any way if they declared this on UCAS?
Hi I haven't got the best GCSE grades, i received 7 A's and 4 B's, but i worked really hard in Year 12 to have a chance at getting into good unis. I received 4 A's at AS in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. I have dropped Physics and want to apply to Warwick for MORSE. Will I stand a chance applying to Warwick or am I wasting one of my choices. I will do whatever it takes to get 3A*s but i just want to know will my GCSE grades hold me back when applying.

Thank You :biggrin:
Hello!

Im currently studying the IB diploma program in Canada.

Since my school doesn't offer HL math, i have to take SL math instead. I want to apply in your L100 course, even if a get a 7 in SL math with 6/7 in all my other IB subjects, will i be considered by the university?

THANKS! :smile:

Current courses:
HL Chem
HL History
HL English

SL Bio
SL Math
SL SPanish
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 947
Just how important is Romanian Literature in terms of Romanian Baccalaureate?
And what about Further Maths?
I managed to score 9.70 Maths,9.50 Physics but 8.1 at Romanian Language.
I will be studying this year Computer Engineering at Politehnica University of Bucharest.Any way of replacing my Romanian Language with Math modules there in some way of HL math?
This year I got AAAB.

If I take all subjects next year and achieve this: A*AAC, but the C at A2 coming from an A at AS, and one of the A's at A2 coming from the B at AS would I be accepted as I have reached the A*AAa, not the A*AAB.
Is it possible to change from Maths and Economics to pure Economics during or after the first year?
Is anyone expecting to get a reply the week they submit their UCAS form? If that is possible I may have some incentive to do some of it haha
Original post by Teddysmith123
I wanted to ask if an epq grade would be considered in the offers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Extended projects are not required, however, they will be considered when judging the overall quality of the application. They do not form part of the official offer.
Original post by jayjay531
Do universities respect biology as an A-Level if you wanna do economics?
Bearing in mind I am doing Economics and Maths A2 as well
Any advice would be great

I cannot speak on behalf of all universities, but Warwick Economics views Biology on par with core A2s, such as English, History, Geography …etc. The only A2 subject we do not consider are General Studies and critical thinking.
Original post by Rolivers
I took on too much in my AS year and because of that I feel that I've performed quite badly. My grades were:

B Maths A2 (Taken a year early)

a Maths AS

b Computing AS

a Economics AS

c Physics AS

a* Extended Project

My predicted grades will be: AAABa* (the B is in physics).

I don't have any extenuating circumstances, I just did poorly this year, but I'm confident that if I got the standard offer I'd be able to meet it because I've taken on a more sensible workload this year.

Is there any point me applying, and is there a realistic chance of me getting an offer?

The current offer is A*AA with at least an A in A2 maths. Given your B in A2 maths you fall short of the offer, which means, given the intense level of competition for places (all applicants will be predicted to meet the offer) you would be highly unlikely to recieve an offer.
Should I apply to Warwick with an A in Economics and 3 B's in Maths,Physics and ICT(AS levels).
P.S.I might resit Maths again!
Original post by or nah
Hi, for Economics at warwick are applicants who declare their module grades preferred in any way? And if a applicant had all A's at AS overall but B's in a couple of modules would this disadvantage their application in any way if they declared this on UCAS?

To the best of my knowledge, all predicted and attained grades are viewable on the UCAS application. Given the level of competition and the current offer of A*AA, with at least an A in maths, B grades will potentially place the applicant at a disadvantage. However, if you are predicted to meet the offer, you should not be discouraged from applying as each and every application is read and judged in its entirety: AS/A2 grades, past academic performance, personal statement and academic reference.
Original post by Harsha4674
Hi I haven't got the best GCSE grades, i received 7 A's and 4 B's, but i worked really hard in Year 12 to have a chance at getting into good unis. I received 4 A's at AS in Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics. I have dropped Physics and want to apply to Warwick for MORSE. Will I stand a chance applying to Warwick or am I wasting one of my choices. I will do whatever it takes to get 3A*s but i just want to know will my GCSE grades hold me back when applying.

Thank You :biggrin:

Apologies but I can only speak on behalf of the Economics department not the Mathematics department (who run the MORSE course). Please contact them directly.
Original post by IB_Dilemma
Hello!

Im currently studying the IB diploma program in Canada.

Since my school doesn't offer HL math, i have to take SL math instead. I want to apply in your L100 course, even if a get a 7 in SL math with 6/7 in all my other IB subjects, will i be considered by the university?

THANKS! :smile:

Current courses:
HL Chem
HL History
HL English

SL Bio
SL Math
SL SPanish

Due to the technicalities in the course, the current offer requires HL maths. However, you could consider applying for Economics, Politics and International Studies, or Philosophy, Politics and Economics.
Original post by Lekel94
Just how important is Romanian Literature in terms of Romanian Baccalaureate?
And what about Further Maths?
I managed to score 9.70 Maths,9.50 Physics but 8.1 at Romanian Language.
I will be studying this year Computer Engineering at Politehnica University of Bucharest.Any way of replacing my Romanian Language with Math modules there in some way of HL math?

Our current offer is: Pass the Romanian Diploma de Baccalaureate with 9.5 overall from 3 written state exams, including 9.5 in Maths written state exam. So, unfortunately, if you are below this in the written examinations you will have missed our offer. We would accept Romanian Lit as long as it is a written state exam. There is no condition on Further Maths, it is treated as any other core subject.
Original post by RAV 123
This year I got AAAB.

If I take all subjects next year and achieve this: A*AAC, but the C at A2 coming from an A at AS, and one of the A's at A2 coming from the B at AS would I be accepted as I have reached the A*AAa, not the A*AAB.

Importantly, the offer has been changed, the offer is now A*AA with at least an A in A2 maths. If you are predicted to attain this level you have a chance of receiving an offer. However, the chance of receiving an offer will depend on the quality of all components in your application: AS/A2 grades, past academic performance, personal statement and academic reference. Given the level of competition all components need to be strong.

Quick Reply

Latest