The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by james1211
No it's better to sort out before uni, for sure. Don't be talked out of it, you need to sort this out!

That's great :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now at 1395 and I think it's time to proofread and then call it a night :biggrin: My train is at 6.45 tomorrow so need to be all bright and lovely for my first day!
I tried to learn today: Nothing. I remember nearly nothing and concerning calculations, I am by no means fit. I actually know less than when I got allowed not to write the exam. So I will fail and really, I am no more able to calculate anything. Worse, then, when I tried to learn it. Everyone will be right, that I am not capable without getting help, because I am too stupid.
Putting everything in my room back where it lives and maybe sneaking in to work for a go on the trampolines. That depends if they're going to try and make me coach or not though. Might also make cake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it's better to sort out before uni, for sure. Don't be talked out of it, you need to sort this out

I know i'll end up bottling it :/
Original post by lauraaaaa
I know i'll end up bottling it :/

In all honesty, and in my opinion, I don't see much point seeing a doctor before you go to uni. Getting a diagnosis just before (which you may not even get on a first consultation) won't speed anything up at all at this point. And you won't have time for any treatment. If I were you I'd just wait until you get there :dontknow:
To be honest I'm hoping therapy will have a bigger benefit than any drug anyway, which I am back on the list for. There's no point taking a drug that causes side effects that make me more anxious anyway. Since coming off I've noticed that my interest in stuff has gone up, didn't realise how disinterested in things I'd became on them.

I suspect that may be the route I go down, not using meds. Tried them and I think therapy will be more useful.

Write what you can, even if it seems like nonsense. You can always come back and edit it and you'll feel better for having written something down!

Yep. Stay away from the rest of the site, it's full of knobs :smile:

It will go fine, I promise. Just make sure you let them know the extent of how you're feeling and don't just brush over it or they may interpret it as just being general low mood instead of what it is.

Ooh which pokemon :tongue:

Haunter :biggrin: he's been one of my faves since I watched the show when I was younger :smile: not sure if you watched the cartoon but there was an episode where there's a ghastly, a Haunter and a gengar living in a castle playing with rocking horses and stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ScaryScience
In all honesty, and in my opinion, I don't see much point seeing a doctor before you go to uni. Getting a diagnosis just before (which you may not even get on a first consultation) won't speed anything up at all at this point. And you won't have time for any treatment. If I were you I'd just wait until you get there :dontknow:

i don't think i'd end up mentioning it at my doctors appointment anyway aha
Haha that was one of the first things I though when I met you :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tasha96
:cry2:

Hurting.

So sorry I've not been around :frown:

Original post by Odd socks
Had such a good time at comic con today :biggrin: got an awesome pokemon plushie and a patch to sew on my jacket and a necklace, a signed comic and a print and a notebook and a cute little alpaca toy and a couple of wee gifts for my sister and mum

Posted from TSR Mobile

PRSOM :biggrin:

Original post by samba
Thanks :hugs: Very scary night, but I think the worst is over with for today. No idea why, but I've taken a massive downturn lately :/

Stay safe hun :jumphug:

Original post by Sabertooth
When I was 12 I prayed to god for a certain thing to happen. It happened but I ignored it. A few days ago, I reflected on this thing and decided I can't ignore it anymore. I can't think of any explanation other than god which puts an atheist like me in an awkward position. However, if there is a god how can I reconcile that with hearing voices and being paranoid and depressed? I don't get that bit.

Anyway, onto my question. Is anyone here religious and how do you feel about god giving you a mental illness?

Imma quote in the only member that I know is religious (hope she doesn't mind) but I'd appreciate anyone's input really.

TLG I'd really appreciate how you answer this question, but we can take it to PMs if you prefer (or not answer me at all if I'm being rudely imposing).

I don't mind you asking me at all but I think this is best discussed by PM once all my relatives have gone (if you can PM on say Weds, I'll be able to answer)? I don't want anyone to think I'm proseletysing or whatever the word is, in the thread :eek:

Original post by Jenniferann232
and I spent most weekends at home rather than at uni...

My friend was in a similar position - hated her first year of uni and went home every weekend - but that was actually part of the problem. Because people KNEW she was never there, she never got invited to stuff and found it hard to make friends because people didn't invite her places.

I'm not saying you've brought this on yourself but it might be worth trying to hang round uni a bit more. I appreciate that's easier said than done, especially if you've been bullied... but do give it some thought :smile:

Original post by alexs2602
Do I have to keep calling out the regulars on this thread? I'm in quite a mentally distressing situation and very few people have anything to say and when they do it can be because I bring attention to how little support a mental health support society offers to those who need at least some comfort. This thread is basically support between "the regulars", the accepted members of MHSS. But when I've been trying to break in and when I ask for help it proves hard.

Chances are my university course will be terminated and I'll be kicked out of university. I have a ****ty home life I don't want to go back to for the sake of my mental health. I have sleep problems, I have social problems, probably aspergers. I have next to no real friends I can rely on. Especially around me. I've received very little to no help from the NHS to help me with these problems that have made life so difficult for me. I don't really fit into British society on the whole and don't know what I would be able to do if my university course is terminated. The idea of getting a job in retail frankly fills me with dread. I need mental stimulation, at least. Probably more. Like people on my wavelength. My life is at bit of crossroads and I'm terrified of what the future holds. I want to be happy, I want a network of people who care for me, love me, want to be around me and vice versa. I want to prove to myself what I'm capable of and find my place in this world, even if that's in a different country. I don't want to do a job just for the money, I want to do a job that I can look forward to.

Dude seriously, if this is aimed at me, I am not best impressed and that's hardly gonna incline me to reply to your (as mentioned, very long) posts now, is it? :dontknow:

All that and my general unimpressed-ness aside: have you considered volunteering for something you're interested/passionate about? Not so much to earn money but more for the mental stimulation and chances to create friendships, that you are craving? :smile:

Original post by ScaryScience
im really really upset :frown: this is not ok. thinking over about ACT I've been doing cause the last session is on Monday. I haven't seen any improvement whatsoever and I tried really hard. its so disheartening. I cannot go on like this and I have a plan. im not really sure why im doing this. its so pointless. there is no hope. I don't see how it can get better. I wont just wake up and be ok. but nothing seems to work. I have countless numbers of people who are all 'stuck'. im fed up of people feeling 'stuck' and then abandoning me. I am so upset and alone.

:jumphug:
Hmm, that's an interesting thought - having questions but still believing. I was actually thinking of going and talking to the priest at the Catholic church near me just because I have so many questions and would like answers. However, you're probably right; he probably won't be able to answer me either.

I spoke to my atheist wife about things and she told me if god granted my very childish prayer why isn't he saving people from cancer or babies who die or whatever, why would he only show himself to me? And I had no answer for that either. I've tried to bury my head in the sand all these years but the more I think about things the less I feel I can ignore them but it seems to only result in more unanswered questions.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :smile:

i think its actually more important to have questions and to look for answers, than to have all the answers and never ask questions. to simply believe without continually questioning the world around you and your belief system i think is just naive and shows an ignorance about the world around you.

god's role in our lives is not to save people from cancer - the bad in this world has to exist to create the good in this world. god simply provides us with the tools to cope with the challenges life throws at us - the fact that your prayers seem to have come true doesn't necessarily say that he granted them like wishes - i'd say its more that he listened to you and gave you the willpower or the abilities to make it happen for yourself.

i've talked to a lot of atheists who have said things along the same lines, like "if god was real, there would be no war" and "if god was real, babies wouldn't die" - but i think that defeats the point. the point is not to believe in some crazy mysterious higher being who prevents all the bad things in the world - the point is to believe that life as we know it isn't just life and death and nothingness.
x

Hey Laura,

I'd hate to worry you but let's just say the campus surgery tends to be always booked up and it takes ages (even more than a month) to see a GP so I'd advise seeing your current GP before uni.

Sorry. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Too hyper to go to sleeeeeeppp :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Team_McDreamy
i think its actually more important to have questions and to look for answers, than to have all the answers and never ask questions. to simply believe without continually questioning the world around you and your belief system i think is just naive and shows an ignorance about the world around you.

god's role in our lives is not to save people from cancer - the bad in this world has to exist to create the good in this world. god simply provides us with the tools to cope with the challenges life throws at us - the fact that your prayers seem to have come true doesn't necessarily say that he granted them like wishes - i'd say its more that he listened to you and gave you the willpower or the abilities to make it happen for yourself.

i've talked to a lot of atheists who have said things along the same lines, like "if god was real, there would be no war" and "if god was real, babies wouldn't die" - but i think that defeats the point. the point is not to believe in some crazy mysterious higher being who prevents all the bad things in the world - the point is to believe that life as we know it isn't just life and death and nothingness.

I think I see where you're coming from with that way of looking at things. I know for myself that simply assuming I had all the answers wasn't a good way of living and more recently the more I think about stuff, the more I'm starting to realize that I don't have all the answers. I appreciate you replying to me :smile:

Btw if you go to church do you think it's likely a catholic priest would want to/be ok with talking to someone interested in god?
Original post by senz72
Hey Laura,

I'd hate to worry you but let's just say the campus surgery tends to be always booked up and it takes ages (even more than a month) to see a GP so I'd advise seeing your current GP before uni.

Sorry. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

It takes more than a MONTH to see the gp just normally? Sod that I'll stay registered to my one at home and get the train if I need to see a doctor! That is ridiculous!
Hi guys.
I think I see where you're coming from with that way of looking at things. I know for myself that simply assuming I had all the answers wasn't a good way of living and more recently the more I think about stuff, the more I'm starting to realize that I don't have all the answers. I appreciate you replying to me :smile:

Btw if you go to church do you think it's likely a catholic priest would want to/be ok with talking to someone interested in god?

i don't currently go to church at the moment (thats one of the things I'm working on at the moment - my faith has suffered under my mental illness so i am actually trying to reconcile myself with my religion and I'm not quite at the point of being able to go to mass yet) - but of course i think they'd be open to talking to you about it! talking about faith is one of the best ways to explore it because everybody has their own views and standpoints on it and you never see them until you ask. i would be very surprised if a priest said they wouldn't talk to you about it :smile:
so i did one of those online personality tests just now (I'm so bored hahaaaa) and this was my result -

Spoiler

kinda crazy how accurate that is!!
It takes more than a MONTH to see the gp just normally? Sod that I'll stay registered to my one at home and get the train if I need to see a doctor! That is ridiculous!

They have a few hours in the morning for emergencies but for a general appointment I had to wait for a month at the campus surgery. Though if you're willing to go to other surgeries they have around York then you'll be seen quicker. But that's tedious so I suggest staying with your home GP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Team_McDreamy
i don't currently go to church at the moment (thats one of the things I'm working on at the moment - my faith has suffered under my mental illness so i am actually trying to reconcile myself with my religion and I'm not quite at the point of being able to go to mass yet) - but of course i think they'd be open to talking to you about it! talking about faith is one of the best ways to explore it because everybody has their own views and standpoints on it and you never see them until you ask. i would be very surprised if a priest said they wouldn't talk to you about it :smile:

Thanks for the advice. :smile:

I'm sorry to hear that your faith has suffered because of your mental illness although (from my distinct lack of experience) I guess that might be quite a common thing. I hope you work things out soon. :hugs:
What is sleep?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest