The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aenigma
Have no idea why people are saying it's so hard to get multiple offers.

If you're at a target it's not hard at all...:confused: most people I know who did S/Ws did more than one

Does that mean non-targets get 0 :cry:

How many did you secure, out of interest?
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Does that mean non-targets get 0 :cry:

How many did you secure, out of interest?

I do think it's a lot harder, unfortunately.

Applied to 11 (I think)
3 offers
Was in the process with a further 3 banks (ie has already had first round)
Withdrew from the other 8 (including those I'd had interviews at) once I for my third offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
I do think it's a lot harder, unfortunately.

Applied to 11 (I think)
3 offers
Was in the process with a further 3 banks (ie has already had first round)
Withdrew from the other 8 (including those I'd had interviews at) once I for my third offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

were you at a target, just out of interest?
Reply 603
Original post by Aenigma
Have no idea why people are saying it's so hard to get multiple offers.

If you're at a target it's not hard at all...:confused: most people I know who did S/Ws did more than one

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOL I know, everyone I know who are at BB's at the moment did not have it as hard as people in this thread are making out, then again they all went to UCL, Oxford, Imperial, LSE etc.
How many weeks in advance should I start preparing for the numerical tests? I've just started filling in applications at the moment but want some time to prepare. Btw which banks apart from GS dont do tests?
Original post by Refrigerator
were you at a target, just out of interest?

Yep

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaGeehkaal
How many weeks in advance should I start preparing for the numerical tests? I've just started filling in applications at the moment but want some time to prepare. Btw which banks apart from GS dont do tests?

Rothschild and BNPP. You really shouldn't need that much preparation - a few hours will suffice with some bought practice material.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MaGeehkaal

Depends on your background. If you're doing a quant subject, chances are after doing the practice questions pre-test you'll be ready to go.

If you're an arts student who has not done Maths since GCSE, then it might be a more bumpy road.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cutmeloose
Depends on your background. If you're doing a quant subject, chances are after doing the practice questions pre-test you'll be ready to go.

If you're an arts student who has not done Maths since GCSE, then it might be a more bumpy road.

Sounds good, done a level maths and studying finance at uni.
Reply 609
I know guys studying econ at LSE who got 0 SW offers. They also knew quite a lot about the industry - so much it was scary.
Original post by will2348
Don't be put off, there was a guy last cycle who got five offers but there was literally only five other people like that out of thousands of applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I won't be put off, just need to work hard and hopefully it'll all pay off in the end. I always like a challenge and this should be a fun one! :biggrin:
Original post by MathsNerd1
Oh I won't be put off, just need to work hard and hopefully it'll all pay off in the end. I always like a challenge and this should be a fun one! :biggrin:

Best of luck - make sure you put plenty of research into your applications and certainly don't rush them, you have plenty of time at the moment :biggrin:
Original post by will2348
Best of luck - make sure you put plenty of research into your applications and certainly don't rush them, you have plenty of time at the moment :biggrin:

Thanks, I'm trying to do just that but with working full time and other commitments it's not all that easy, but I'm slowly but surely getting there as the days pass by.

I'm pretty sure I've seen you on the summer internship thread, so best of luck with your applications :smile:
Reply 613
Hey

Do you guys know when the diversity events are held? Do you apply for those events after your uni starts?
Original post by spark27
Hey

Do you guys know when the diversity events are held? Do you apply for those events after your uni starts?

Apply to organisations such as SEO / Rare / Bright Network.

Some are starting real soon. Bright network is holding one on the 16th but I think it's filled up.
Apply to organisations such as SEO / Rare / Bright Network.

Some are starting real soon. Bright network is holding one on the 16th but I think it's filled up.

isn't SEO only for people from "under-represented and under-served" backgrounds?
Original post by Fas
isn't SEO only for people from "under-represented and under-served" backgrounds?

Generally, yes.
I think if I don't get a SW offer, I'll aim for big4 audit and live the rest of my life miserable :cry2:

Last time i checked, Ed Woodward and all the other CFOs and c suite executives the big 4 have produced haven't had too much of a miserable life... and you think your life is going to be happy as an MD?

Baring in mind that if the company needs to make cuts, you will be one of the first to go if you're not a rainmaker
(edited 9 years ago)
Geez, I pity you if you actually feel that your life will be ruined by working for the Big 4.
Quick question about CVs.

I've noticed on the Canary Wharfian site that everyone follows the same layout with regards to their CV?! (http://canarywharfian.co.uk/attachments/cv-cw-copy-pdf.48/) My current CV doesn't follow the same layout and I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not...will they really want thousands of pretty much identical CVs...slightly repetitive and boring, no? Yes, the information will be different haha, but still?

Spoiler

Latest

Trending

Trending