The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm 32 with 4 children. The oldest is 13 and youngest 5.

Mum guilt has been a major killer. I've had to move their schools and it really unsettled them for a while.

I think it will ultimately be easier. I mean I'll have Christmas, Easter and summer at home. Which is way more than I've ever had working.

I've booked them to start at the breakfast club for mornings come September. And my husband has flexi hours so he's going to work 2 long days and do early starts so he can pick them up 3 days a week. Luckily my mum has said she will do the other 2 days. So I think I'm sorted for childcare. Financially it's going to be interesting. But I don't think it will be unmanageable.

The most frustrating part for me is having to arrange full time childcare. ... When I don't even get my timetable until the week I start! However I just got my induction week timetable and I'm only in 3 days and no starts before 10am... So I've got to pay for a breakfast club I don't even need that week. All because they leave time tables so late.
Hi all

I am 25 and a mum to a 2 year old boy and step-mum to a 9 year old girl. I am going to be doing Applied animal studies at Northampton.

I am really worried about the 1000 other jobs that need doing with a family and studying at the same time, but i am looking forward to a new challenge and the road to a better life I hope!!!!

Be nice to speak to other people in the same situation.
Reply 82
Tomorrow is the day for me that we have all been worrying and being nervous about. Wish you all the best through your studies and hope you all reach your goals. All the best.
I wish mine was tomorrow but i have another week to wait, just have the task this week of settling in my little boy to the childminders.
Reply 84
Wish mine was earlier have a few days induction and enrolment on 22nd then classes start 29th
Hi guys,

I'm 32 with a 2 year old and a 4 year old.

Full time postgrad begins in 2 weeks!
Hi

I'm not in the UK, so I can't help with the childcare/funding questions but I just wanted to wish you all luck and let you know that it is possible! But very hard work :wink:

I'm 38 and have just graduated as a vet! I also have 2 kids (11 and 7) and a mini part-time job (10hrs/week) in the research department of a pharmaceutical company. So both my degree and job were extremely hard-core and highly stressful! Nevermind the "being a mum" part :wink:

But I have done it....and soon I will be working full-time at my uni (and getting paid for it!) while doing my doctorate! My husband thinks I will never leave uni (this is not my first degree, I went the traditional route and studied Animal Science when I was 18!)

Luckily, we live very close to the VetMed Uni so I haven't had to move the kids out of school etc, and as my degree is something that kids understand (lovely cuddly animals and putting your arm up a cow's bum - they love telling other kids about that :colondollar:) they have always been supportive. Couldn't have done it without my husband taking them to his parents' for the weekend when I was revising, or taking them to and from school when I had to work crazy day and night shifts at the uni clinic.

But anyway, the point is, if you really, really want to do it, then you can, and you will - GOOD LUCK!
Hi all! I'm only just a mature student at 21, and I have a daughter who is 4 and just started Primary school!
I'm starting university at Reading and will be studying Law LLB. Very excited, but also nervous about how much work it'll be and finding time to spend with my daughter too.
Original post by Honeymom
I'm 32 with 4 children. The oldest is 13 and youngest 5.

Mum guilt has been a major killer. I've had to move their schools and it really unsettled them for a while.

I think it will ultimately be easier. I mean I'll have Christmas, Easter and summer at home. Which is way more than I've ever had working.

I've booked them to start at the breakfast club for mornings come September. And my husband has flexi hours so he's going to work 2 long days and do early starts so he can pick them up 3 days a week. Luckily my mum has said she will do the other 2 days. So I think I'm sorted for childcare. Financially it's going to be interesting. But I don't think it will be unmanageable.

The most frustrating part for me is having to arrange full time childcare. ... When I don't even get my timetable until the week I start! However I just got my induction week timetable and I'm only in 3 days and no starts before 10am... So I've got to pay for a breakfast club I don't even need that week. All because they leave time tables so late.

I can sympathise with the mum guilt, something I've been feeling for a while...I'm doing an adult nursing degree and we only get 7 weeks holiday a year, 2 weeks xmas, 2 weeks easter and 2 weeks summer holidays with another week somewhere.

Original post by Vicke2014
Hi all

I am 25 and a mum to a 2 year old boy and step-mum to a 9 year old girl. I am going to be doing Applied animal studies at Northampton.

I am really worried about the 1000 other jobs that need doing with a family and studying at the same time, but i am looking forward to a new challenge and the road to a better life I hope!!!!

Be nice to speak to other people in the same situation.

Me too, I even had to show my husband how to plait hair so he can do that instead of the bog standard ponytail he does lol. Luckily he now knows how to use the dishwasher as well so I'm not going to be coming home to a massive pile of dishes.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by clair0511
Hi

I'm not in the UK, so I can't help with the childcare/funding questions but I just wanted to wish you all luck and let you know that it is possible! But very hard work :wink:

I'm 38 and have just graduated as a vet! I also have 2 kids (11 and 7) and a mini part-time job (10hrs/week) in the research department of a pharmaceutical company. So both my degree and job were extremely hard-core and highly stressful! Nevermind the "being a mum" part :wink:

But I have done it....and soon I will be working full-time at my uni (and getting paid for it!) while doing my doctorate! My husband thinks I will never leave uni (this is not my first degree, I went the traditional route and studied Animal Science when I was 18!)

Luckily, we live very close to the VetMed Uni so I haven't had to move the kids out of school etc, and as my degree is something that kids understand (lovely cuddly animals and putting your arm up a cow's bum - they love telling other kids about that :colondollar:) they have always been supportive. Couldn't have done it without my husband taking them to his parents' for the weekend when I was revising, or taking them to and from school when I had to work crazy day and night shifts at the uni clinic.

But anyway, the point is, if you really, really want to do it, then you can, and you will - GOOD LUCK!

Inspiring! Thanks for sharing your success story.
Original post by SammyHam
Hi all! I'm only just a mature student at 21, and I have a daughter who is 4 and just started Primary school!
I'm starting university at Reading and will be studying Law LLB. Very excited, but also nervous about how much work it'll be and finding time to spend with my daughter too.

I did an LLB too *high5*

My 4 year old girl just started primary school too! *double high5*

How do you feel about your little one starting school? Weird, isn't it? *sob*

Let me know if you have any LLB queries. I graduated with a 1st (@Durham) so hopefully will be able to help.
Original post by Suemarie
I can sympathise with the mum guilt, something I've been feeling for a while...I'm doing an adult nursing degree and we only get 7 weeks holiday a year, 2 weeks xmas, 2 weeks easter and 2 weeks summer holidays with another week somewhere.

I'm dreading the mummy guilt :s-smilie: How bad is it?

Does your OH ever get 'daddy guilt'?
Original post by Bikeric
Wish mine was earlier have a few days induction and enrolment on 22nd then classes start 29th

Same. Though as I need to take my son to his uni on 18th, it's probably just as well that I'm not starting earlier.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Same. Though as I need to take my son to his uni on 18th, it's probably just as well that I'm not starting earlier.

Had my induction onto my access course last Thursday, I was the oldest there so I've been given the nickname grandad. Start lessons on the 15th, can't wait to get started, the tutor told us we have a presentation in our second week which I spent the weekend researching.
Original post by mature35
Had my induction onto my access course last Thursday, I was the oldest there so I've been given the nickname grandad. Start lessons on the 15th, can't wait to get started, the tutor told us we have a presentation in our second week which I spent the weekend researching.

Enjoy your course, Gramps. :wink: I was the oldest on my Access course last year, but it was fine (once the young 'uns got used to me).
Original post by Tufts@Durham
I did an LLB too *high5*

My 4 year old girl just started primary school too! *double high5*

How do you feel about your little one starting school? Weird, isn't it? *sob*

Let me know if you have any LLB queries. I graduated with a 1st (@Durham) so hopefully will be able to help.

Oh wow! She seems to be coping a lot better with her going to school than I am! I'm completely lost without her, but hopefully that'll change once uni starts.
Congratulations on the 1st, that must have involved a lot of hard work. How much time on average would you say you spent outside of uni studying?
Original post by Tufts@Durham
I'm dreading the mummy guilt :s-smilie: How bad is it?

Does your OH ever get 'daddy guilt'?

Mummy guilt quite bad, I'm sitting here thinking I won't even get half term off with my children let alone the full 6 weeks summer holidays...
Daddy guilt what is that? Lol
Hi everyone, I'm Bupe, will be joining Kerri & Gabi posting here. I am a mature student at Liverpool John Moores University(Forensic Science), and will be posting on Monday's please feel free to ask me anything!
Original post by Liverpool John Moores
Hi everyone, I'm Bupe, will be joining Kerri & Gabi posting here. I am a mature student at Liverpool John Moores University(Forensic Science), and will be posting on Monday's please feel free to ask me anything!

Hi, please don't bump old threads. Thread closed.

Latest

Trending

Trending