The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you mean to say that your granddad ha e not passed away yet?

If so, then yes it is awful to ask for it now, in my opinion. That's what he intends to give you when he dies!
Asking for some kind of help, unrelated to inheritance isn't out of the question. Or, save up to do it (or work on the trip, to help cover it).
Lots of people do these things in their late twenties rather than earlier.
If your Granddad is still alive, then that's disgusting to even contemplate asking for it.
Reply 3
Yes, that is very rude and your grandfather should cut you out of his will if you ask.
Depends how close you are.
Reply 5
This really made me laugh.
I'd say go for it. Better to transfer assets now than get stung by a few hundred thousand pounds of inheritance tax upon death. My family have been doing it for years.
Just ask your granddad for some money, and see what he says. I wouldn't mention inheritance though. He may mention it himself actually with regards to his reply " well maybe we could dip into your inheritance just this once" ...

You just need to approach it in a polite way.

I don't personally see a problem, if you're going to get it anyway, you may as well get it at a time when you actually need it.
He should ask for your inheritance now instead if you have anything to give.
The way you are wording it is rude. Point blank and rude. There are ways to ask for the money if other ways though - just don't mention inheritance, wills, or any of that... OR save up yourself and appreciate it more ;-)
Reply 10
what if he was to pass away now. wink wink OP
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I really want to go on holiday and do a round the world trip, but I am going to need in excess of £6k to do it - even on a budget! :rolleyes:

I know in a few years time I may get a big inheritance off my Grandad, but by then I will probably be working 9-5 to pay the rent, so I can't just quit the job and go backpacking!

The time is now. But would it sound rude and ungrateful to ask for it all now?

If you were in genuine financial difficulty and needed help, then asking a relative for help (phrasing it as best you can) is fine. However to effectively ask "can I have my inheritance now, before you die" is certainly rude, especially for something which, though desirable, is not essential.

Ultimately it is your grandad's money until he dies.
how do you even know you will get inheritance from your Grandad, he might leave it all to charity, or a close friend, or he may take a new lover and marry in which case they would be able to claim most of it.

What if he lives another 20+ years and has nothing left for himself?
Go out get a job and pay for it yourself
Are you feeling okay?
ask Gramps to go round the world with you...
I'm noting that you say you 'MAY' get an inheritance...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah sorry buddy but it's very rude.. either get a job to save up as much as possible and maybe ask for him to help you out, or wait till you're older. Just because you'll have one jobs doesn't mean you can't quit, not everyone's life structure is the same. You'll just have to postpone stuff like children (if you'd want to have them anyway).
lol, 'well, you're going to die soon, so can I have your money now please?'

I would ask for help in the form of a loan, if you know a family member has the cash and isn't doing anything with it.
Reply 19
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
I really want to go on holiday and do a round the world trip, but I am going to need in excess of £6k to do it - even on a budget! :rolleyes:

I know in a few years time I may get a big inheritance off my Grandad, but by then I will probably be working 9-5 to pay the rent, so I can't just quit the job and go backpacking!

The time is now. But would it sound rude and ungrateful to ask for it all now?

Very disrespectful if you ask me, shouldn't even be thinking about money, enjoy your family.

Latest