The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strange Fruitttt
I like Sterling as the number 10, I don't want him playing off a wing.

y not on the wing? Interested.
Original post by Mackay
Can/Gerrard/Allen really would be one of the least attacking midfield trios I've seen.

Allows Sterling/Balo/Phil don't think Lallana or Markovic will play still being integrated, maybe Lallana for Allen in the second because Lallana rarely plays more than 70mins that's if Hendo is out
Did you watch it?

I saw the all touches video, looks like an awful pitch. Pitch ruined a lot of passes.

He was pretty ****/off the pace too but he was playing on the side where France are strong defensively, apparently Serbia attacked a lot more down the other side.

One thing I've defo noticed in the videos of him is that a lot of his passes are underhit.

Still he's only 20, and been tidy for us so far.

Wasn't use properly by Serbia and also the fact it was France! good result for Serbia. I think it's good he got a solid 80mins was class vs City
Reply 1843
Did you watch it?

I saw the all touches video, looks like an awful pitch. Pitch ruined a lot of passes.

He was pretty ****/off the pace too but he was playing on the side where France are strong defensively, apparently Serbia attacked a lot more down the other side.

One thing I've defo noticed in the videos of him is that a lot of his passes are underhit.

Still he's only 20, and been tidy for us so far.

Nope, just seen his highlights vid.

He's hardly played tbf, seems very raw.
Original post by jam278
y not on the wing? Interested.

Personal preference really, I like the way he can turn and dribble and remove opposition midfields from the equation so easily. Then we're running with Sterling and our two strikers vs an out of position defence. Possibly more of a goal threat from wide areas though simply because he's playing further up the pitch and threatens on the counter more.

He's not going to have a defined position for a good few years though so we can just take it game by game.
Personal preference really, I like the way he can turn and dribble and remove opposition midfields from the equation so easily. Then we're running with Sterling and our two strikers vs an out of position defence. Possibly more of a goal threat from wide areas though simply because he's playing further up the pitch and threatens on the counter more.

He's not going to have a defined position for a good few years though so we can just take it game by game.

To add to this, he's much more likely to get a clumsy centre back a yellow card than a full back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1846
Original post by Naher007
Allows Sterling/Balo/Phil don't think Lallana or Markovic will play still being integrated, maybe Lallana for Allen in the second because Lallana rarely plays more than 70mins that's if Hendo is out

If Hendo and Sturridge are out, then I'd go 4-3-3: Gerrard/Allen/Coutinho and Sterling/Lallana/Balo

can't imagine why anyone would suggest anything different. If Hendo is back, then he comes in for Allen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by cBay
If Hendo and Sturridge are out, then I'd go 4-3-3: Gerrard/Allen/Coutinho and Sterling/Lallana/Balo

can't imagine why anyone would suggest anything different. If Hendo is back, then he comes in for Allen.

Honestly can't see Coutinho and Lallana starting in the same team unless Sterling is out
Henderson starts for England. Now watch as he gets injured and out for a few weeks or so.

I guess it's kind of unsurprising knowing Woy once I read that he was going to have a late fitness test.
Reply 1849
Original post by Naher007
Honestly can't see Coutinho and Lallana starting in the same team unless Sterling is out

So... Coutinho/Sterling/Suarez/Sturridge in the same line-up is fine, but... Coutinho/Sterling/Lallana/Sturridge isn't?
Looking forward to seeing Lallana in a LFC shirt.
definitely been an "almost" game for england, falling down with the end product.

henderson has been pretty anonymous, however he's done his job well on the whole so not bad.
sterling has had an uncharacteristically bad game; bad passes, lack of control, poor finishing etc...
he has been heavily involved but he needs to have scored one.

EDIT: as i pressed post, sterling assisted with a perfect pass to welbeck....
Good ball from Sterling after a very frustrating night for him. England look promising on the break, actually.
Sterling will have the England curse on him soon enough don't you worry.
good win for england but still a meh performance.

if sterling hadn't have assisted the first goal, he would be faced with harsh criticism - he wasn't good.
henderson was nowhere to be found for most of the game, but he made no significant mistakes; not a bad game but nothing amazing.
lambert only on for added time but provided a nice assist for welbeck; hopefully a similar type of goal he can give to some of our quick players

not sure how united fans will feel about welbeck scoring 2 goals
they were by no means difficult chances but he finished them both with great composure.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Sterling will have the England curse on him soon enough don't you worry.

He needs to be careful he doesn't perform too well for England. Don't want him becoming a national treasure like Owen was. It says a lot that the Kop preferred Carragher/Gerrard/Murphy to Owen during his time at Anfield.
National treasure atm is Townsend guys. Remember that.
Original post by jam278

I like the way Townsend tries to shoot every time he has the ball rather than passing to a team-mate in a better position. It's well cute of him.
Original post by jam278

For now, I'm sure it won't be long before there's another Championship level winger who has 2 good games and gets talked about as the next Gareth Bale. The Townsend hype was absolutely ridiculous and i'm glad it's over with.
Hell of a lot of pundits and posters that could be extremely embarrassed by their quotes on Townsend when he was doing well...

Quick Reply

Latest