The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Cilic played brilliantly, but he's the type of player federer used to handle pretty easily, as shown by the 5-0 h2h which federer led going into the match. A really poor performance from him, which in all honesty was pretty much how he played for the whole tournament.
Good lord. Disappointed not to see federer in the final. It really could have been no 18 for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakas21
Its because its like starting again. Once you get a rivalry developing and more exposure though, people will probably sync with player x again.

Maybe. I can definitely see the appeal of Nishikori as the hardworking plucky underdog given his stature but for Cilic there's not really much appealing about his tennis or his persona, so I doubt he could generate the same level of interest regardless. Saying that, we still have Murray fans on this earth so I suppose anything is possible...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ashnard
Maybe. I can definitely see the appeal of Nishikori as the hardworking plucky underdog given his stature but for Cilic there's not really much appealing about his tennis or his personality, so I doubt he could generate the same level of interest regardless. Saying that, we still have Murray fans on this earth so I suppose anything is possible...

I wish I could rep you all the time, but I give out 0 rep and I dunno how to do it on the app. :biggrin:

I'd go for nishikori for the final.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ashnard
How old are you?

Old enough.
As a fan of tennis, I am rather looking forward to the final. Just because it isn't the game that appeals to the part timers doesn't mean it won't be watched, I'm backing Cilic because this could be his one opportunity - Kei will win one by the end of 2016 for sure.
Reply 2226
First time since the 2004 that someone outside the Top 8 has won a Slam (French, Gaston Gaudio) and only the second time since 2003 we've had 4 different winners of each major in a year.

Can't see this as the "changing of the guard" though. Nadal is out injured, Murray is still recovering from some pretty serious surgery and Djokovic has had a bad year in general and Federer is improving on what was a terrible year last year. Admittedly players are much less intimidated playing the "big 4" now but I still think normal service will resume next year, at least with Murray and Djokovic.

It probably won't be a classic, but still a great opportunity for Nishikori to finally break through and for Cilic it is probably his one chance to win a Slam. Kinda wish Monfils had beaten Federer though now, would have loved to have seen him in the final.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410123005.494100.jpg

Who have you guys got?

Serena fan here but wouldn't mind if Caro won either. There aren't any better people to lose to. Either way I hope it's a 3 set match

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skkc16
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1410123005.494100.jpg

Who have you guys got?

Serena fan here but wouldn't mind if Caro won either. There aren't any better people to lose to. Either way I hope it's a 3 set match

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope Caroline takes it. Definitely needs to rely on Serena making errors though.
Serena wins 6-3 6-3. Wozniacki just didn't bring it and she just didn't play the way she's been playing all summer. Nevertheless glad Serena has tied Evert and Navratilova to get that 18th GS

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm so happy for Serena, my weekend would have been perfect if Federer didn't lose, oh well at least one of them won.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congrats to Serena for bel18ving in herself and pulling it off in NYC.

On the men's side I have to say that this final is good for tennis on the whole. We have a young-gun (relatively speaking) breaking through - about time too, the top guys have been there for so long. Kei is the favourite on paper given his 5-2 H2H against Cilic andd based on who he's beaten to get to the final stage of the tournament. They are, however, locked at 1-1 in Grand Slam meetings and Marin played the best match he's ever played in the semis, so he's probably in better form currently - I'm also wondering whether those 2 5-setters and that 4-setter will take their toll on Kei's body.
If it comes down to the mental game, IMO Kei seems like he'll handle the occasion much better. Nothing seems to faze him and he ends up giving his all once he's ready to compete.
Anyone have a link for a good website I can watch the men's final on? Really want to watch what should be a really interesting match, never seen a slam final between two first timers before :biggrin:
Original post by lizzy95
Anyone have a link for a good website I can watch the men's final on? Really want to watch what should be a really interesting match, never seen a slam final between two first timers before :biggrin:

I'll probably get warning points for this, but wth :biggrin:

http://www.usagoals.com/ - click on this nearer the time (by then the stream you want moves up the page)
Original post by Krish4791
I'll probably get warning points for this, but wth :biggrin:

http://www.usagoals.com/ - click on this nearer the time (by then the stream you want moves up the page)

Thanks a lot, wanted to rate but wasn't allowed! :smile:
In future send via PM, we don't any non 2 week fans warned.

That being said I advise that people go to google and search for a website called stream hunter. I won't link for obvious reasons.
Original post by Rakas21
In future send via PM, we don't any non 2 week fans warned.

That being said I advise that people go to google and search for a website called stream hunter. I won't link for obvious reasons.

Sorry, didn't know sharing links wasn't allowed, will be more incognito in future 😃
Original post by lizzy95
Sorry, didn't know sharing links wasn't allowed, will be more incognito in future 😃

yes, sorry about that - I completely forgot about the PM system!

btw, just out of curiosity, when you say you've not seen a slam final between two first-timers before, did you not watch any of the Big 4 in their first Slam finals against first-timers? I think Rafa vs Puerta (2005) and Roger vs Philippousis (2003) spring to mind
Otherwise, it has been a while since we had a situation like this :smile: My feeling is that Kei has the mentality and the game to rack up multiple slams if he can win this one tonight
I want Nishikori to win, think he'll do it too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krish4791
yes, sorry about that - I completely forgot about the PM system!

btw, just out of curiosity, when you say you've not seen a slam final between two first-timers before, did you not watch any of the Big 4 in their first Slam finals against first-timers? I think Rafa vs Puerta (2005) and Roger vs Philippousis (2003) spring to mind
Otherwise, it has been a while since we had a situation like this :smile: My feeling is that Kei has the mentality and the game to rack up multiple slams if he can win this one tonight

No I'm a relatively recent tennis fan, I kinda gradually got into it after seeing the end of Roger and Rafa's Wimbledon final in 2008 so all I've seen is Big 4 dominance 😃

Quick Reply

Latest