The Student Room Group

Self-teaching Further Pure Mathematics

Hola - I am a post-A-level applicant, and I am currently on my gap year. I want to apply for Chemistry. One task that I'd love to do on my gap year is to self-learn A-level Further Pure Mathematics, since a lot of Chemistry students say that it helps with the first year in Chemistry. I don't want to take the exams, because I don't think that it is necessary.

So my question: What is the best way to go about teaching myself Further Pure Maths?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by CurtisDean
Hola - I am a post-A-level applicant, and I am currently on my gap year. I want to apply for Chemistry. One task that I'd love to do on my gap year is to self-learn A-level Further Pure Mathematics, since a lot of Chemistry students say that it helps with the first year in Chemistry. I don't want to take the exams, because I don't think that it is necessary.

So my question: What is the best way to go about teaching myself Further Pure Maths?

This is going to sound sarcastic but buying/borrowing a textbook would be the obvious starting point.
I'd strongly advise against CIE though apparently those exams are horrible :P Edexcel is a good one imo.

Text books are good, also exam solutions is really helpful. http://www.hegartymaths.com/ I found this website really useful for FP1 when I had no clue what my teacher was on about and needed it explained in a different way. I've never self taught it but if I was learning it by myself I'd probably use a mix of text book, exam solutions and the other website I mentioned.
Reply 3
Original post by k4l397
I'd strongly advise against CIE though apparently those exams are horrible :P Edexcel is a good one imo.

Text books are good, also exam solutions is really helpful. http://www.hegartymaths.com/ I found this website really useful for FP1 when I had no clue what my teacher was on about and needed it explained in a different way. I've never self taught it but if I was learning it by myself I'd probably use a mix of text book, exam solutions and the other website I mentioned.

Original post by Mr M
This is going to sound sarcastic but buying/borrowing a textbook would be the obvious starting point.

Thanks for the responses! In terms of books, any suggestions? I'm not sure which exam-board I should focus on since I don't intend to take the exams.
Thanks for the responses! In terms of books, any suggestions? I'm not sure which exam-board I should focus on since I don't intend to take the exams.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Further-Pure-Mathematics-L-Bostock/dp/0859501035

I would probably get the Core one also

Would you say that particular textbook is a good alternative to the modern Fp1-3 ones or are they better used as an additional resource?
Original post by Mr M
Why don't you borrow a copy from your local library and find out?

It doesn't have that one...
Is it worth spending 30 pounds on the core one?
Seems like a waste...
Original post by MathMeister

Are you sure? Did you search your County library archive?

Hello :smile: Similar situation, in my final year of uni and looking to self-learn Further Maths, but I'm planning to take the exams after I graduate. It's been a long time since I last did A-Level Maths, though so I'm thinking of signing up for the Further Maths Support Programme by MEI (in the hope that a more structured approach will help...) Have you heard of it?

I've been advised to get the B&C books and my uni library has them, so I'll be having a look at those too.
Is it worth spending 30 pounds on the core one?
Seems like a waste...

Look on google books.

How many times do you need reassurance? The modular books are fine.
Reply 16

Haven't you asked these questions multiple times over the last few months?

The modular books are specifically designed to prepare you for the relevant exams and do a perfectly adequate job if your only concern is the exam grade.

If you want some more demanding questions, or to see how maths is taught in a more coherent, integrated way, or you're planning to do further study in maths, then textbooks like B&C are a fantastic reference.
Original post by Mr M
How many times do you need reassurance? The modular books are fine.

So you could get full marks with the modular books and teaching?
So you could get full marks with the modular books and teaching?

Obviously.

Quick Reply

Latest