The Student Room Group

Best A- Level Subjects For Law Help

Hi,

I'm really indecisive about which a levels I should do for law, as I want to go to a Russell Group university.

Currently I've chosen English Literature, Maths, History and Economics.

However with two essay based subjects, I'm unsure about whether I can handle the workload. Although if taking these two (Eng Lit & Hist) means that my chances of getting into a Russell Group University are heightened then I am willing to do so...On the other hand, if changing Eng Lit for Chemistry without hindering my chances for admission is possible, I will do so.

I am only extra concerned because I only achieved: 2 A*, 10 A's at GCSE, and for a top university I understand that this could be a cause for concern, thus why I want to be so safe with my options.

Also do you think doing History, Maths, Chemistry, Biology is a good idea for law?

Additionally is economics regarded as a essay based subject?

Thanks for your help in advance x
Reply 1
They're fine. There are no subject requirements for Law contrary to what people think. You could go Maths, chemistry, biology and physics as choices and still get offers from top unis.

Econ is an essay subject yes and a good one indeed. Just pick subjects you feel most comfortable in.

FYI: You dont need to be very special or gifted to get an offer from a russell group uni :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by Jkizer
They're fine. There are no subject requirements for Law contrary to what people think. You could go Maths, chemistry, biology and physics as choices and still get offers from top unis.

Econ is an essay subject yes and a good one indeed. Just pick subjects you feel most comfortable in.

FYI: You dont need to be very special or gifted to get an offer from a russell group uni :wink:

Oh alright, thank you. It's just because I looked on some websites which mentioned ideally having Eng Lit and Hist. as they would better 'prepare' you for the law degree.

+ahaa they're not called Russell Group for nothing right?:wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Ambitiousxo
Oh alright, thank you. It's just because I looked on some websites which mentioned ideally having Eng Lit and Hist. as they would better 'prepare' you for the law degree.

+ahaa they're not called Russell Group for nothing right?:wink:

Yeah English/History are good. But one of my classmates (who going to Cambridge now for Law) told me from his Applicant/Open day at LSE, that the staff said their personal 'favourite' logical thinking subjects such as Maths, Chemistry etc since often students found them to be more helpful when they got to uni than the essay subjects. So i personally would stick to subjects which you feel you would get the best grades in.

Yeah RG is just the collective name but really nothing special (At undergrad i suppose anyways). Still plenty of snazzy unis like Bath & St Andrews which arent a part of it.
Reply 4
Original post by Jkizer
Yeah English/History are good. But one of my classmates (who going to Cambridge now for Law) told me from his Applicant/Open day at LSE, that the staff said their personal 'favourite' logical thinking subjects such as Maths, Chemistry etc since often students found them to be more helpful when they got to uni than the essay subjects. So i personally would stick to subjects which you feel you would get the best grades in.

Yeah RG is just the collective name but really nothing special (At undergrad i suppose anyways). Still plenty of snazzy unis like Bath & St Andrews which arent a part of it.

Alright, thankyou so much for your help!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest