The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Abdul-Karim
Anyone that will take me, currently. I feel I don't have enough to leverage to be deciding what firm I prefer to go to, especially given I'm a non-target.

Take a read:

http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/how-to-get-a-spring-week-part-i.63/

Cass is semi target, you got good a levels and ur an ethnic minority ur good to go...

I'm white, private schooled and only got abb at a level and go to a non target but Russell group, I have no chance but will apply on the off chance I get something at an mm or boutique
Original post by Sun_Bear
Cass is semi target, you got good a levels and ur an ethnic minority ur good to go...

I'm white, private schooled and only got abb at a level and go to a non target but Russell group, I have no chance but will apply on the off chance I get something at an mm or boutique

Firms don't care what school you went to (most of your interviewers will have gone to private school).
They don't care about A-levels as long as they meet the requirement.
I don't know which university you're at, but honestly CASS is on the lower end of 'semi-target' (I personally don't think it is one).

What will help him is his previous experience, for that reason he'll probably do perfectly well, this cycle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For anyone filling out the Nomura application form I just called them about it because the section about university grades was mandatory and obviously we haven't been predicted anything; The person I spoke to said just put anything down as they're mainly just looking at your CV and Cover Letter. I also noticed that there wasn't an option to select '2014' when entering your Alevel grades and she said they'd look into that and for now just put 2013 :smile: - As long as it's correct on your CV it's fine!
Original post by itssimplyme
For anyone filling out the Nomura application form I just called them about it because the section about university grades was mandatory and obviously we haven't been predicted anything; The person I spoke to said just put anything down as they're mainly just looking at your CV and Cover Letter. I also noticed that there wasn't an option to select '2014' when entering your Alevel grades and she said they'd look into that and for now just put 2013 :smile: - As long as it's correct on your CV it's fine!

I've been putting "n/a, as of yet" in all the boxes for time being. Although, I'm apprehensive about applying for Nomura, since they rejected me for their A level programme :cry:
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I've been putting "n/a, as of yet" in all the boxes for time being. Although, I'm apprehensive about applying for Nomura, since they rejected me for their A level programme :cry:

Noo, you should definitely apply regardless :smile: And find out what they're looking for by speaking to a representative at Bright Network!

Why is being an ethnic minority an advantage?
Original post by AnharM
Why is being an ethnic minority an advantage?

They have quotas and targets to show that they are a diverse company hence why they do special programs for only ethnic minorities.
Original post by itssimplyme
Quick question about CVs.

I've noticed on the Canary Wharfian site that everyone follows the same layout with regards to their CV?! (http://canarywharfian.co.uk/attachments/cv-cw-copy-pdf.48/) My current CV doesn't follow the same layout and I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not...will they really want thousands of pretty much identical CVs...slightly repetitive and boring, no? Yes, the information will be different haha, but still?

Spoiler

Honestly, I wouldn't get overly worried about layout. I think it looks bad the way no one uses any imagination with regard to the different sections on their CV and literally follows the M&I format word-for-word. As long as it has a good balance, is neat, is easy for HR to follow and tick-off, then I honestly don't think it matters. In other words, it should fulfill the criterion here: https://static.wcn.co.uk/company/gs/resume.html

For example, on my CV, it's more tailored to my own activities so the sections go like this:

- Education
- Awards & Scholarships
- Internships & Insight Programmes
- Other Work Experience & Voluntary Work
- Leadership Experience & ECs

So while it does not religiously follow the M&I format, it's better because it is actually tailored to the content on my CV and actually easier for HR to follow and read.

I'm basically saying, as long as it does the job, it doesn't matter. But things like certain experiences, leadership and education should be easy for HR to find and have their own section, yes.

Upload an anonymous version of your CV to CW, and see what people say.
Anyone have an insight into what DB's Global Transaction Banking spring week entails?
They have quotas and targets to show that they are a diverse company hence why they do special programs for only ethnic minorities.

They absolutely do not have quotas. Show me the proof

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
They absolutely do not have quotas. Show me the proof

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quota's not necessarily the word that I would use but I'm pretty sure SEO partner banks, i.e Goldman, BAML, MS,etc have 'XYZ' amount of places available for SEO candidates in every summer analyst class.

I can't provide 'proof' but family in the industry hinted to this being the case and old posts on this forum also suggest this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cutmeloose
Quota's not necessarily the word that I would use but I'm pretty sure SEO partner banks, i.e Goldman, BAML, MS,etc have 'XYZ' amount of places available for SEO candidates in every summer analyst class.

I can't provide 'proof' but family in the industry hinted to this being the case and old posts on this forum also suggest this.

Quite shocked at that. How would that work, though?
Is there a separate interview process, because surely if you are interviewed by a VP, say, who has no idea what SEO is and they don't want you, you get rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
Quite shocked at that. How would that work, though?
Is there a separate interview process, because surely if you are interviewed by a VP, say, who has no idea what SEO is and they don't want you, you get rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't underestimate the value and clout of SEO especially at some banks. Goldman is one of the biggest supporters of the programme. Judging from what I've been told SEO has changed massively over the last six years or so. In the past, you only competed against SEO candidates, so yes there was a separate interview process. MDs from the partner bank would come down to a SEO A/C and decide who they want. Now they can only get candidates to the first round probably due to market conditions.

The thing is that there will be many 'exceptional' SEO candidates, so they will reject those that they don't want and take those who fit the bill. Plenty of people who use SEO are good enough to secure an offer outright from GS/MS/JPM etc considering the people that I know on the scheme. I'm guessing within SEO, there are 'tiers' your Oxford PPE student will do better securing offers than the Birmingham Economics counterpart.

I'm not sure, but consider for example that Goldman Sachs generally don't do 'rolling recruitment and early interviews are usually for SWs/SEO/those with exploding offers.' SEO candidates are fast-tracked. As a result, the person interviewing you will assume that you're either a) fast track from SW b)SEO- Not that hard to join the dots if no SW, ethnic and being interviewed very early in the process.

I don't think this makes it easier to get in for ethnic minorities as some people seem to imply on here. It simply reduces the element of luck, from what I know most people on the programme are from Oxbridge, LSE,UCL/ICL,Warwick and the odd 'eye brow' raising university.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 673

I don't think this makes it easier to get in for ethnic minorities as some people seem to imply on here. It simply reduces the element of luck, from what I know most people on the programme are from Oxbridge, LSE,UCL/ICL,Warwick and the odd 'eye brow' raising university.

You say SEO "simply" reduces the element of luck and then that it doesn't make getting in easier. Wtf. It's more than enough to put it mildly to be fast tracked to a first round interview.

This: http://wheninfinance.tumblr.com/post/23042967465/when-my-latino-friend-gets-his-bb-internship-through
Original post by Szmessh
You say SEO "simply" reduces the element of luck and then that it doesn't make getting in easier. Wtf. It's more than enough to put it mildly to be fast tracked to a first round interview.

This: http://wheninfinance.tumblr.com/post/23042967465/when-my-latino-friend-gets-his-bb-internship-through

Knew someone would pick up on that lol. I agree with your point, but is a first round really a big deal? There's still 2/3 stages to pass, and the SEO kid doesn't 'skip' any stages. First round for him is just the same as you and I. The process is just as hard despite the application being reviewed earlier.

I just don't see the point of the incessant complaining that I see on this thread, the SEO kid isn't taking your place. If you're good enough, you'll get offers. If you're not good enough to make it, it doesn't matter if banks decide to take their entire intern class from SEO.

I got ABB as well and am in the cycle above you (so am applying for internships). That didn't stop me from landing some first rounds at one of the more well-known MMs in addition to a BB for IBD.

Just focus on what you can do now and smash it. I wouldn't alter your sights as it's so early for you into the process.

I should add, I'm not studying at a target either.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tomatochuckers
I got ABB as well and am in the cycle above you (so am applying for internships). That didn't stop me from landing some first rounds at one of the more well-known MMs in addition to a BB for IBD.

Just focus on what you can do now and smash it. I wouldn't alter your sights as it's so early for you into the process.

I should add, I'm not studying at a target either.

Nice, this kinda gives me hope. I'm about to start studying econ and finance at southampton so a complete non target. I'm going to try and join as many societies as possible (charitable, econ whatever) in the hope that i will get a leadership role in one of them eventually. I'm also thinking of trying to get a transfer at the end of this year to Edinburgh so i will have another shot at the spring insight weeks. If all else fails, masters at a target :smile:

Edit: just did my due diligence on you and saw that you go to Nottingham which I'm sure your aware places well in ib... Btw was the mm bnp or nomura?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 677
Knew someone would pick up on that lol. I agree with your point, but is a first round really a big deal? There's still 2/3 stages to pass, and the SEO kid doesn't 'skip' any stages. First round for him is just the same as you and I. The process is just as hard despite the application being reviewed earlier.

I just don't see the point of the incessant complaining that I see on this thread, the SEO kid isn't taking your place. If you're good enough, you'll get offers. If you're not good enough to make it, it doesn't matter if banks decide to take their entire intern class from SEO.

Are you kidding me? Getting your cv out of the pile and getting a chance to prove yourself is the biggest difficulty youll face. SEO doing that for you is a huge advantage - yes youll still need to do well at interviews and ACs if there are, but you got the biggest obstacle out of the way. Countless people end up with zero interviews, meanwhile probably most of them could convert just as well.
(edited 9 years ago)
For DB, does it explain the difference between the 3 different spring weeks anywhere? CB&S Markets, CB&S Corporate Finance, Global Transaction Banking - what are they?
Original post by Refrigerator
For DB, does it explain the difference between the 3 different spring weeks anywhere? CB&S Markets, CB&S Corporate Finance, Global Transaction Banking - what are they?

DB is division specific, so they have spring weeks in markets (aka sales and trading, securities), Corpprate finance (aka IBD) and GTB, you should probably look this up, it's a very interesting MO role

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending