The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Do universities respect biology as an A-Level if you wanna do economics?
Bearing in mind I am doing Economics and Maths A2 as well
Any advice would be great :smile:
Original post by jayjay531
Do universities respect biology as an A-Level if you wanna do economics?
Bearing in mind I am doing Economics and Maths A2 as well
Any advice would be great :smile:

Yes it classes as a facilitating subject so I can't see why there'd be any issue with it
Original post by NinjaPandaa
Yes it classes as a facilitating subject so I can't see why there'd be any issue with it

what do you mean by facilitating ?
You could always apply as a bit more of a what if, you've got 4 other choices so 1 A*AA uni could be alright, although I'm not 100% convinced whether you'd get an offer with your AS results

Ok, in that case I'll probably just apply for unis with AAA or below. Can you think of any other universities (with good job prospects) that I should consider applying to?
Original post by jayjay531
what do you mean by facilitating ?

A good fairly taxing A-level (basically not soft/'mickey mouse')
Original post by a320airbus97
Ok, in that case I'll probably just apply for unis with AAA or below. Can you think of any other universities (with good job prospects) that I should consider applying to?

It really is up to you though, like I said you have 4 other choices so if you really want to give York a shot apply there

And sorry but I'm not too sure, the ones you said in your other post on the thread seemed pretty good though
It really is up to you though, like I said you have 4 other choices so if you really want to give York a shot apply there

And sorry but I'm not too sure, the ones you said in your other post on the thread seemed pretty good though

Thanks a lot for your input, and good luck with your own application :smile:
Reply 287

Leeds, Edinburgh and lancaster!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by patrickcromb96
thanks for the reply man , i think im just going to apply for economics now

yeah thats my plan. in an ideal world E&M at oxford would be the first choice but not sure im going to bother applying as i would definitely be weaker than lots of other applicants. where else where you thinking?
Original post by Nikmali
Leeds, Edinburgh and lancaster!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile:
Should I maybe apply for an A*AA course such as at York, or would that be a waste of space on my UCAS form?

you could always try. sometimes you never know what the top unis are really looking for. Thats my plan with oxford! putting it down just in case! then doing significantly easier ones for the other four
Original post by magnetic19
you could always try. sometimes you never know what the top unis are really looking for. Thats my plan with oxford! putting it down just in case! then doing significantly easier ones for the other four

I'm just worried that top universities would automatically reject me because of my average AS grades, which is a reason why I want to play it safe and apply for AAA to ABB unis. However, I don't want to miss out on a place at a top university just because I was taking a conservative approach.
I'm just worried that top universities would automatically reject me because of my average AS grades, which is a reason why I want to play it safe and apply for AAA to ABB unis. However, I don't want to miss out on a place at a top university just because I was taking a conservative approach.

this is my issue too. i thought i may as well give one really aspirational one a shot
Hope you remember me, ninjapanda :tongue:

So I *think* I have narrowed down my 5 choices. Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Glasgow, Leicester.. Although, I have queen marys competing with birmingham for the third spot and manchester competing with glasgow for fourth.

Anyone here has a opinion on queen mary? They pushed up their entry requirements to AAA from AAB just this year, seems to have great graduate prospects and is the only on-campus uni in london. besides that, i don't know much, im afraid..

glasgow's campus looks like freaking hogwartssss. :biggrin:
Original post by AChhabs0701
Hope you remember me, ninjapanda :tongue:

So I *think* I have narrowed down my 5 choices. Warwick, Nottingham, Birmingham, Glasgow, Leicester.. Although, I have queen marys competing with birmingham for the third spot and manchester competing with glasgow for fourth.

Anyone here has a opinion on queen mary? They pushed up their entry requirements to AAA from AAB just this year, seems to have great graduate prospects and is the only on-campus uni in london. besides that, i don't know much, im afraid..

glasgow's campus looks like freaking hogwartssss. :biggrin:

Woo hey! :biggrin:

Yay two the same as me, warwick and notts woo, so you're a campus fan like me then

I would say with Birmingham they did give out some unconditionals last year for a couple of subjects (econ & geog and biology I think?) so it could be a good bet because an unconditional offer before you've got your A2s could be tempting

I know there are a few others on here thinking of queen Mary but I have no idea
Although on the note that it's increased it's entry requirements, a few others have too this year, yorks gone from aab to a*aa :frown: so I'm assuming this means economics is more and more popular :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for Financial Economics/Industrial Economics and related courses at Manchester, Leicester, Cass, Nottingham and Sheffield.

If anyone's interested to see the maths element of first year undergrad, then "Using Mathematics in Economics" by R.L. Thomas was an insightful read.
Woo hey! :biggrin:

Yay two the same as me, warwick and notts woo, so you're a campus fan like me then

I would say with Birmingham they did give out some unconditionals last year for a couple of subjects (econ & geog and biology I think?) so it could be a good bet because an unconditional offer before you've got your A2s could be tempting

I know there are a few others on here thinking of queen Mary but I have no idea
Although on the note that it's increased it's entry requirements, a few others have too this year, yorks gone from aab to a*aa :frown: so I'm assuming this means economics is more and more popular :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

campuses all the way, aha! what are your 5 choices again, if you dont mind me asking?

I am rethinking my life decisions again today. :redface: I am considering York or Edinburgh or Queen Marys as my fourth instead of glasgow, my research into that uni has really put me off..
Original post by AChhabs0701
campuses all the way, aha! what are your 5 choices again, if you dont mind me asking?

I am rethinking my life decisions again today. :redface: I am considering York or Edinburgh or Queen Marys as my fourth instead of glasgow, my research into that uni has really put me off..

I'm going for cambridge warwick durham nottingham and leeds, it was between leeds and edinburgh but I don't fancy going to Scotland tbh

Ooh what's put you off about glasgow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How would you guys rank these unis:
Bath, bristol, nottingham, exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spyrogyra
How would you guys rank these unis:
Bath, bristol, nottingham, exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile

All pretty similar with Exeter being the worst IMO.

Highest : Nottingham - Bristol - Bath - Exeter : Lowest

Nottingham is best IMO, Bristol and Bath are similar - I prefer Bristol's campus but Bath do have the option of a sandwich placement year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending