The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Uni of Manchester Freshers 2014-15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by golden tribe
Guys how easy is it to change a course once you arrive. How about changing it on your first week

It depends on lots of different factors, including whether there's space. Do be aware that once you're more than a couple of weeks in it often becomes very difficult, if not impossible, to switch without having to restart the year.

If you're certain that you want to change, I would strongly suggest that you ring the department(s) in question today.

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
[QUOTE="jaseland;50216555"]
Original post by araddhna96
Hey, I'm doing Ancient History! I got into UoM through Clearing so basically saw the Uni for the first time today."

Same here! Still having a few doubts - trying to find out as much as I can about the department and the courses, so I don't feel like a complete moron when I turn up. I'd really like to do some modern history units - is it hard to get on to them?

I'm doing ancient history and Manchester was my insurance uni, my firm was ancient+modern. Chose Manchester because while I can take out other modules with the approval of the programme director ancient history students can take whichever (open) modern history modules they wish without consultation. It's looking like 1/3 of my modules will actually be modern history right now. Hope this helps
Anyone doing Law with Politics LLB? I changed my course recently and still havent received a freshers week timetable for my course. can anyone inform me of what will be taking place? thank you
Original post by aliyah08
Anyone doing Law with Politics LLB? I changed my course recently and still havent received a freshers week timetable for my course. can anyone inform me of what will be taking place? thank you

what did you change from and how easy was it to change.
Original post by golden tribe
what did you change from and how easy was it to change.

from Politics and International relations to Law with Politics

it was fairly easy, but i did it on results day
Sorry if this questions has been asked by someone else, but have people already chosen their course units, and those in particular who are part of the social science department? I'm finding it a bit tricky on how to do it all, even though I've read the step-by-step instructions they've given us :/

Long story short, are people picking their units now or waiting till freshers week? ALSO, the compulsory units, are they already set in our timetable or do we still actually have to choose them from the list, because I can't see my ones on there?
Original post by mahamxa
you should join the living at home group on fb :smile: I feel the exact same tbh, is anyone else commuting/living at home?

I am. It sucks that I only have twitter, I guess I have to become team FB also for the sake of participating in Freshers!
Really want to go out and do some fun stuff next week but because I'm living at home I'm not motivated at all!
Original post by sp-ike96x
I am. It sucks that I only have twitter, I guess I have to become team FB also for the sake of participating in Freshers!
Really want to go out and do some fun stuff next week but because I'm living at home I'm not motivated at all!

Me too, just have to make the extra effort for freshers. Like I want to go to all the events but don't want to pitch up on my own haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SkAlley
Sorry if this questions has been asked by someone else, but have people already chosen their course units, and those in particular who are part of the social science department? I'm finding it a bit tricky on how to do it all, even though I've read the step-by-step instructions they've given us :/

Long story short, are people picking their units now or waiting till freshers week? ALSO, the compulsory units, are they already set in our timetable or do we still actually have to choose them from the list, because I can't see my ones on there?

I'm doing Sociology and I havent picked mine yet, I dont think we're supposed to pick them until next week :smile:

And I THINK we have to put down the compulsory ones as well so we actually enrol on them :s-smilie: idk.
Original post by aliyah08
from Politics and International relations to Law with Politics

it was fairly easy, but i did it on results day

did you just call them up
Original post by SkAlley

Waiting mate! Can't understand what I'm meant to do with that guide. Well confusing
[QUOTE="CaptainBrown;50221059"]
Original post by jaseland

I'm doing ancient history and Manchester was my insurance uni, my firm was ancient+modern. Chose Manchester because while I can take out other modules with the approval of the programme director ancient history students can take whichever (open) modern history modules they wish without consultation. It's looking like 1/3 of my modules will actually be modern history right now. Hope this helps

Brilliant! Thanks, mate!:cool:
Anyone else doing Ancient History and Archaeology?
Reply 2553
Original post by BPreston
Me too, just have to make the extra effort for freshers. Like I want to go to all the events but don't want to pitch up on my own haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by sp-ike96x

if you dont use fb, go to the student union website and there should be a link that says find your halls, a living at home one will be there and there's a list of events! and you'll make friends on your course next week (your department probably has a welcome event of some sort set up so you can meet people!) and sign up for societies at the welcome fair, during the year the societies you sign up to will have socials and gatherings so if you try enough you won't miss out :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mahamxa
X

Did you go to that welcome picnic in the end? If so, how was it?
Reply 2555
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Did you go to that welcome picnic in the end? If so, how was it?

it was brilliant!! everyone was really nice and made the effort (so much food that didn't get eaten) and I went from being alone to having someone to come with me to freshers events next week :smile:
Original post by mahamxa
it was brilliant!! everyone was really nice and made the effort (so much food that didn't get eaten) and I went from being alone to having someone to come with me to freshers events next week :smile:

Awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I kind of wish I'd gone now. :erm:
Reply 2557
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I kind of wish I'd gone now. :erm:

they're going to have a stall at the fair next week so you should sign up! are you in your first year?
Original post by Rosasaurr
I'm doing Sociology and I havent picked mine yet, I dont think we're supposed to pick them until next week :smile:

And I THINK we have to put down the compulsory ones as well so we actually enrol on them :s-smilie: idk.

Ok thank you, just to clarify did you put down the compulsory ones NOW or will you wait till next week?
Original post by Jordanap
Waiting mate! Can't understand what I'm meant to do with that guide. Well confusing

Haha yeah I know, I'm glad I'm not the only one waiting then. What's your course?

Quick Reply

Latest