The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How's everyone doing?

Anyone applied to Blackrock?
Original post by thelion0
How's everyone doing?

Anyone applied to Blackrock?

I've filled in their whole application, although I haven't yet submitted it. I'll apply to them through Rare.
Original post by Szmessh
I also did the BAML numerical and now I got to enter additional details (CV competency and stuff), does this really mean I passed the test? I highly doubt as I guessed like 5 questions and i'm also not sure if a couple others were correct, so if it doesn't mean anything I'd rather not waste my time completing these.

If you get progressed, it generally means you've passed. Was the test difficult or general stats/ratios/percentages?

Did you practice?

If so, what site did you go with? :rolleyes:

Very well done, nonetheless.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I've filled in their whole application, although I haven't yet submitted it. I'll apply to them through Rare.

What do you mean apply through Rare? I have my initial meeting with rare in october
What do you mean apply through Rare? I have my initial meeting with rare in october

They're partnered with Blackrock and so I need to find out what they can do for me with regards to applying, if anything. They can support me on my apps as well. My meeting's on the 24th of Sept.
Could anyone kindly link up RBS numerical practice tests please? Thank you! Also, is it bad if I got 13/22 on my first ever numerical reasoning test (this link is the exact one I did): http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/mathstest2.htm
Original post by Szmessh
I also did the BAML numerical and now I got to enter additional details (CV competency and stuff), does this really mean I passed the test? I highly doubt as I guessed like 5 questions and i'm also not sure if a couple others were correct, so if it doesn't mean anything I'd rather not waste my time completing these.

Could you please send me the link to BAML's application! can't find it anywhere :colondollar: thanks x
Reply 707
If you get progressed, it generally means you've passed. Was the test difficult or general stats/ratios/percentages?

Did you practice?

If so, what site did you go with? :rolleyes:

Very well done, nonetheless.

Thanks well it was general questions like that yeah but personally I found it hard (even though i took higher level maths and got A so im not really bad at math). Once you get fire under your ass and some further versions of questions get tricky, you get nervous and there goes your chance for an interview. Maybe its just me but thats what i experienced, ill definitely need much more practice for further apps, pretty sure I passed this one because I got lucky.

I used the kenexa one here http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/get-a-15-discount-on-jobtestprep-until-october.96/, chose it because the word is that it's usually harder for SHL so it prepares you slightly better.

@devina https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/company/ml/jobs.cgi?owner=5028110&ownertype=fair&posting_code=38 just pick the "Programme" as insight week
They're partnered with Blackrock and so I need to find out what they can do for me with regards to applying, if anything. They can support me on my apps as well. My meeting's on the 24th of Sept.

When did you guys apply to a Rare? They haven't got back to me yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Szmessh
Thanks well it was general questions like that yeah but personally I found it hard (even though i took higher level maths and got A so im not really bad at math). Once you get fire under your ass and some further versions of questions get tricky, you get nervous and there goes your chance for an interview. Maybe its just me but thats what i experienced, ill definitely need much more practice for further apps, pretty sure I passed this one because I got lucky.

I used the kenexa one here http://canarywharfian.co.uk/threads/get-a-15-discount-on-jobtestprep-until-october.96/, chose it because the word is that it's usually harder for SHL so it prepares you slightly better.

@devina https://atsv7.wcn.co.uk/company/ml/jobs.cgi?owner=5028110&ownertype=fair&posting_code=38 just pick the "Programme" as insight week

Would you advise getting both for £60? Or is the Kenexa one enough, in your opinion. I'm buying the Kenexa one now.

Original post by B-Stacks
When did you guys apply to a Rare? They haven't got back to me yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A rare candidate actually referred me so they called me with regards to applying. After appication submission, it took around 4 days for them to confirm.
Reply 710
Would you advise getting both for £60? Or is the Kenexa one enough, in your opinion. I'm buying the Kenexa one now.

A rare candidate actually referred me so they called me with regards to applying. After appication submission, it took around 4 days for them to confirm.

Kenexa in itself will do, maybe only if you don't see it'd help much for SHL once you start taking those tests as well, you could buy that one too.
Original post by Szmessh
Kenexa in itself will do, maybe only if you don't see it'd help much for SHL once you start taking those tests as well, you could buy that one too.

I would imagine there isn't much difference in the tests though?

Is it really noticable?
Okay, this applies to those applying through the Rare scheme. I emailed them and asked about the SW applications. They got back to me with this:

Hi Abdul-Karim,

X passed on your message to me. Yes I would definitely hold off on applications.

We have lots of insight events in Oct and November which I would strongly recommend you attend before making applications. We also run application checking sessions for spring week applications from late Oct Dec.

Accelerate is a Rare and Deutsche Bank Scheme so you can only apply through Rare. We actually asses first round applications. The deadline for this is the end of November and we assess all applications when the programme closes so there’s no rush to apply. "X" and I will let you know when applications for this open.

Best wishes,

Y

What's everyones thoughts with regards to applications being on a rolling basis?
Reply 713
I would imagine there isn't much difference in the tests though?

Is it really noticable?

IMO theres not much difference, yeah
Okay, this applies to those applying through the Rare scheme. I emailed them and asked about the SW applications. They got back to me with this:

What's everyones thoughts with regards to applications being on a rolling basis?

I think you lot are all applying too early. End of the month/beginning of October is the sweet spot to submit your applications. A lot of people haven't even applied for summer yet (some of them aren't even open yet) and they will recruit us before they even look at your applications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/mathstest2.htm

What kind of scores are people able to get on that? I'm trying to ascertain whether I'm good at these numerical tests or not
Urgent: could someone have a look at my CV and tell me whether it's okay please (PM me for link or just reply here and I'll PM you)? I have the opportunity to intern at a company that calculates stock indices - finance related but internship is programming focused, for 2 weeks (starting Monday). It seems fun but I have a lot of other stuff on my plate right now so if it won't make a huge difference to my SW apps then I need to let them know that I won't be accepting the offer ASAP.

Thanks, much appreciated
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 717
Original post by Refrigerator
Urgent: could someone have a look at my CV and tell me whether it's okay please (PM me for link or just reply here and I'll PM you)? I have the opportunity to intern at a company that calculates stock indices - finance related but internship is programming focused, for 2 weeks (starting Monday). It seems fun but I have a lot of other stuff on my plate right now so if it won't make a huge difference to my SW apps then I need to let them know that I won't be accepting the offer ASAP.

Thanks, much appreciated

pm me
Original post by will2348
You forgot the bonus on top of the 45k :wink:

you forgot to account for all the dropouts and suicides :wink:

Anyway, going to the BN ibanking event next week. Hope it'll be good. Though as others said it feels as though their entrance criteria are pretty low relative to what they advertise.
Dear all,

I trust this message finds you well. I wanted to ask a few things, and was hoping if some of you could answer please.

1) How many pages is your CV and cover letter?
2) How can I be aware of all the banks which are currently open to applications? (shall I just trawl through this thread?)
3) Which systems (I see some of you mentioning Kenexa etc) do I need to practice for the online tests?

That's all, I would really appreciate any help. Again, I cannot emphasize enough how appreciative I am for this thread!!:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending