The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by diamondsky89
First day over... I always hate first days in something completely new!!

How did you get on? :smile:
I start on the 22nd Sept, very excited and a bit nervous. Timetables are not out yet, so don't know what to expect. Have loved reading everybody's posts, who have already started, to get a bit of an insight :smile:
I made friends today! I'm really enjoying uni. It's crazy that we're already discussing actual content which is a bit crazy.

I've had my placement information and I'm at a Catholic academy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ParadoxSocks
I made friends today! I'm really enjoying uni. It's crazy that we're already discussing actual content which is a bit crazy.

I've had my placement information and I'm at a Catholic academy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

YAY! I've made friends too :smile: like you I am really enjoying uni. However I wont find out my placement for about another 3 weeks. I want to know nowwwww!!! haha...
It's been a long day today but it seemed to go by so fast! Although we already have a fair bit of reading and work to think about, I'm loving this course so far!
I started school direct on 1st sept and as a career changer it's been brilliant! Taught my first full lesson today which was great and really made me feel like I could do it. I'm starting formal observations next week. To those starting this / next week you'll be fine once you get going I'm sure!!
Had a bit of a tough day today...nothing course related, just little annoyances throughout that, on top of a day of tutorials and lectures, has made me feel a bit drained.

I'm starting to realise the amount of work I'm going to have this year (talking about assignments already!) but luckily I feel on top of it all at the moment.
Original post by Esmeralda4
Had a bit of a tough day today...nothing course related, just little annoyances throughout that, on top of a day of tutorials and lectures, has made me feel a bit drained.

I'm starting to realise the amount of work I'm going to have this year (talking about assignments already!) but luckily I feel on top of it all at the moment.

It always seems like a lot at first as you hear about everything you have to do, but once you get doing it it's not so bad!

Hugs for today, hope tomorrow is happier :smile:

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
It always seems like a lot at first as you hear about everything you have to do, but once you get doing it it's not so bad!

Hugs for today, hope tomorrow is happier :smile:

xxx

Thank you! I'm hoping so - right now I'm loving the course but it's definitely been a bit of information overload.
Reply 3849
Hi all,
To those already on the course, how does the reference system work for PGCE entry? Do you put in referee details on UCAS system and UCAS contact referees or do you provide written references at interview. It would be great if someone who has experience of this could get back to me as I am not sure when contacting lecturers or finalising placement at a primary school, should I be asking for a written reference or contact details?
Thanks,
Lily
Original post by lilymc
Hi all,
To those already on the course, how does the reference system work for PGCE entry? Do you put in referee details on UCAS system and UCAS contact referees or do you provide written references at interview. It would be great if someone who has experience of this could get back to me as I am not sure when contacting lecturers or finalising placement at a primary school, should I be asking for a written reference or contact details?
Thanks,
Lily

UCAS contact them so you will need details. :-)

My uni also requested a letter from a school I had experience with, and another in applied to accepted a written reference as well as the UCAS ones...that all depends on the institution though.
Reply 3851
UCAS contact them so you will need details. :-)

My uni also requested a letter from a school I had experience with, and another in applied to accepted a written reference as well as the UCAS ones...that all depends on the institution though.

Did the Universities actually request written references? Or would contact details through UCAS be sufficient? I think I read one of the universities required a reference to prove you did your voluntary work in a primary school so I guess I need this for sure but in terms of academic reference from university tutor would it just be contact details to put into UCAS?
Original post by lilymc
Did the Universities actually request written references? Or would contact details through UCAS be sufficient? I think I read one of the universities required a reference to prove you did your voluntary work in a primary school so I guess I need this for sure but in terms of academic reference from university tutor would it just be contact details to put into UCAS?

For the initial application, UCAS contact details are all you need. I contacted a uni to ask if I could send a written as well but that is at the discretion of the uni.

For my uni, Derby, I was asked to bring a letter from the school when invited to interview. It's worth getting a letter from the class teacher if you're not going to be there later, just in case.
Reply 3853
For the initial application, UCAS contact details are all you need. I contacted a uni to ask if I could send a written as well but that is at the discretion of the uni.

For my uni, Derby, I was asked to bring a letter from the school when invited to interview. It's worth getting a letter from the class teacher if you're not going to be there later, just in case.

Thanks for your advice. Fingers crossed, if I get a placement, I will make sure I get a letter. :smile:

I went to derby for my undergrad! ..., thought id just throw that out there lol
Original post by chantaltyler
I went to derby for my undergrad! ..., thought id just throw that out there lol

I'm loving it for my PGCE so far! :-)
I'm starting on Monday and the nerves are certainly creeping up on me. I've had some really good feedback from my pre-course placement so I'm trying to remember that! :-)
Original post by Chrissi86
I'm starting on Monday and the nerves are certainly creeping up on me. I've had some really good feedback from my pre-course placement so I'm trying to remember that! :-)

Same here. Last day of the pre-course place is tomorrow. I'm excited about Uni and nervous as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm off on a trip with uni today...exploring 'outdoor learning'. Should be fun!
Original post by brown shuga
Same here. Last day of the pre-course place is tomorrow. I'm excited about Uni and nervous as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck for Monday! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending