The Student Room Group

Audiology - September 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student23478
Hi. Did this audiolgist say it's a really good job with a goof future + salary?

He mentioned the band system saying it starts at something like 20-25, then the next band is 35-30, and then higher than that is about 40 for more senior staff.
He mentioned the private sector (ie boots etc) are giving more work and paying less and that it's hard to say with the nhs.

He also said that a lot of jobs may be further away from where you live, meaning you may have to think about moving sometimes, because there are less Audiology departments available in hospitals. I still felt happy with Audiology afterwards.
lol no idea. Probably won't apply for that anyway. You got any audio work experience? And Wb personal statement? Don't know what to write

Work experience has been harder to find for me, because I'm 29 and don't match some local hospital's criteria, atm I'm volunteering with the 'action on hearing loss' charity though that starts in a couple of months.
How has everyone else's experience of finding a placement for Audiology been?
lol no idea. Probably won't apply for that anyway. You got any audio work experience? And Wb personal statement? Don't know what to write

I started to write my personal statement , Im just waiting for my work experiences so I can include that in the personal statement. I have applied to my local hospital which have a criteria you have to match which is you have to be in six form which I'm waiting for a reply on, but also I'm waiting for the audiologist from specsavers to give me a call back.

For your personal statement use the student room person statement builder so you know what to include in it, thats what I did.
(edited 9 years ago)
I luckily got some experience at scrivens where I shadowed a audiologist for the day do you think that's good enough?

That's better than me. Are you a mature student as well?
Original post by haseebi82
I started to write my personal statement , Im just waiting for my work experiences so I can include that in the personal statement. I have applied to my local hospital which have a criteria you have to match which is you have to be in six form which I'm waiting for a reply on, but also I'm waiting for the audiologist from specsavers to give me a call back.

For your personal statement use the student room person statement builder so you know what to include in it, thats what I did.

I'm having that problem atm with hospitals, there's always one criteria I don't match, and then it's back to square one.

The Audiologist I spoke couldn't understand it either as there are a lot older people interested in Audiology and other areas of hospital work.
Hi. Did this audiolgist say it's a really good job with a goof future + salary?

I went to this audiology taster experience at Manchester uni and the woman running it (she was studying for a PhD in audiology) said that she thinks there could be a hearing loss epidemic. People are living longer, minor problems are being picked up with the better technology, and people are being exposed to loud sounds through their headphones and/or gigs. It looks like the career could be in high demand soon. I hope so anyway.
Original post by bibliboo
I'm thinking manchester or Leeds as well, they're both closer to me, I've been told by an Audiologist that they're both good but Leeds is quite top for Audiology.

They're closer to me as well. Unis like Southampton are so far away. Did they say anything about Aston, De Montford, Swansea etc. ? I'm doing some work experience with an audiologist soon, looking forward to it. :biggrin: I know it will be a little different but what sort of stuff did you do?
Original post by zoelizabeth
They're closer to me as well. Unis like Southampton are so far away. Did they say anything about Aston, De Montford, Swansea etc. ? I'm doing some work experience with an audiologist soon, looking forward to it. :biggrin: I know it will be a little different but what sort of stuff did you do?

They asked me which uni I was interested in and I said Leeds and Manchester but the other unis were fine he said.
I was basically given a tour of the department but unfortunately couldn't see a patient being treated :frown: .
Are you a mature student as well? How did you get the placement?
Let us know how it went.
They asked me which uni I was interested in and I said Leeds and Manchester but the other unis were fine he said.
I was basically given a tour of the department but unfortunately couldn't see a patient being treated :frown: .
Are you a mature student as well? How did you get the placement?
Let us know how it went.

No, I'm 17. I emailed my local hospital's audiology department. I knew the hospital did work experience for pre med students so I guessed they would do it for other departments as well, and I will do. How's your personal statement going?
(edited 9 years ago)
No, I'm 17. I just emailed my local hospital's audiology department. I knew the hospital did work experience for pre med students so I guessed they would do it for other departments as well, and I will do. How's your personal statement going?

That's one thing I haven't done just yet, I've just done a plan so far.
That's better than me. Are you a mature student as well?

Yeah. What would you class as significant work experience in a audiology work placement? If I've got a reference of shadowing a audiologist surely that's enough no?
I think a reference along with writing on the personal statement of your experience us good, I think it's a case of the more the merrier.
What's scrivens? Did you email them for work experience?
He mentioned the band system saying it starts at something like 20-25, then the next band is 35-30, and then higher than that is about 40 for more senior staff.
He mentioned the private sector (ie boots etc) are giving more work and paying less and that it's hard to say with the nhs.

He also said that a lot of jobs may be further away from where you live, meaning you may have to think about moving sometimes, because there are less Audiology departments available in hospitals. I still felt happy with Audiology afterwards.

Did he say how you work up the bands is it purely experience? Also people say private is good? Because you get a fixed wage + bonuses?
I went to this audiology taster experience at Manchester uni and the woman running it (she was studying for a PhD in audiology) said that she thinks there could be a hearing loss epidemic. People are living longer, minor problems are being picked up with the better technology, and people are being exposed to loud sounds through their headphones and/or gigs. It looks like the career could be in high demand soon. I hope so anyway.

Did she talk about how good it is and the salary?
Did he say how you work up the bands is it purely experience? Also people say private is good? Because you get a fixed wage + bonuses?

He could only speak on behalf of the nhs, but I think he wasn't happy about some services at the private sector, as it means less care more selling.
He could only speak on behalf of the nhs, but I think he wasn't happy about some services at the private sector, as it means less care more selling.

What do you mean by less care more selling?
What do you mean by less care more selling?

I mean that there's a focus on selling if you work in the private sector after a hearing test.
Did she talk about how good it is and the salary?

I have a worksheet with some wages. They include band 5, 7, and 8a. Obviously it'll be different for the private sector, someone with a masters/PhD, or if you're working abroad. There were around 70 jobs being advertised (which is good) in June/July time.
I have a worksheet with some wages. They include band 5, 7, and 8a. Obviously it'll be different for the private sector, someone with a masters/PhD, or if you're working abroad. There were around 70 jobs being advertised (which is good) in June/July time.

In NHS do you think it's just about experience to move up the bands. Am sure if you get a degree you start of at 5 but how quick do you move up?
In NHS do you think it's just about experience to move up the bands. Am sure if you get a degree you start of at 5 but how quick do you move up?

I'm not sure. I guess it's like any other job, you get better wages as you become more experienced, take on more responsibilities, and use your skills efficiently. You obviously need to be a good employee to get a promotion anyway. There will be webpages out there about how to get promotions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending