The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sexist gym with women only hours

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tnetennba
Completely agree with this. I used to be a member of Virgin Active. Every time I ventured into the weights zone I received heaps of unsolicited advice and was always asked incredulously why I wanted "to get bulky" (always by men) when all I wanted was to be left in peace to exercise. It made me feel very intimidated and I ended up confined to the women-only zone which didn't have the free-weights & barbells I wanted to use - just a few treadmills, crosstrainers, weight machines and exercise balls. Tbh I don't think the men in the weights section meant to do anything other than flirt or show off but it got unbearably irritating after the first week.
The best solution is to have the women's section of the gym, but with the same equipment as the men's.

I had a similar problem (also at Virgin), every time I picked up a barbell or 20kg plate I'd get a guy offering to put it away for me or something. But it's unfair to say that about all guys in the gym, I've met some lovely guys there too. I've also seen some girls who just mess about on the machines and don't do anything other than chat to the hot gym staff, so guys aren't the only people capable of being idiots in the gym :rolleyes:

The women's only section is really annoying though, it suggests women shouldn't lift weights which is totally wrong. Venturing out into the weights section almost felt wrong and it was scary at first because it felt like it was frowned upon or something. Maybe it's just a Virgin Active thing :tongue:
If a business wants to provide a service whereby one sex can do something without the other I have no issue with that, but it's incredibly unfair to actively disadvantage the other in doing so.

If women have a problem exercising in the same room as men, that is entirely their problem and they are more than welcome to join a ladies only gym.
Original post by joker12345
So essentially, segregate gyms by sex? Sounds like a step back towards the old times.
Also, impractical. What if a couple goes to the gym and wants to work out together? Or a father and daughter, or male and female friends, etc?

That's not what I meant... By "men's" section of the gym I am talking about the the weights area that is technically for both genders, but dominated by men. The couple/friends can still use that section.

If hardly any women preferred their own section at the gym, the gym wouldn't bother investing in one. There is clearly a demand for it if the gym is bothering to spend money on the section.
Original post by tnetennba
That's not what I meant... By "men's" section of the gym I am talking about the the weights area that is technically for both genders, but dominated by men. The couple/friends can still use that section.

If hardly any women preferred their own section at the gym, the gym wouldn't bother investing in one. There is clearly a demand for it if the gym is bothering to spend money on the section.

Then that becomes unfair - women get their own section, where men aren't allowed, but men don't. Women can access the whole gym while men are barred from some of it.
I don't know that most gyms actually do have 'women only sections', certainly none that I or my friends go to do. Just because of supply and demand doesn't mean we should tolerate sexism - if white people asked for 'whites only' gyms, and were happy to pay more from it (ie there was demand) it doesn't mean they'd be allowed to create one.
Then that becomes unfair - women get their own section, where men aren't allowed, but men don't. Women can access the whole gym while men are barred from some of it.
I don't know that most gyms actually do have 'women only sections', certainly none that I or my friends go to do. Just because of supply and demand doesn't mean we should tolerate sexism - if white people asked for 'whites only' gyms, and were happy to pay more from it (ie there was demand) it doesn't mean they'd be allowed to create one.

Do you feel personally offended if a guy wants some time in a gym with just guys?

I prefer just to go to ladies gyms, however due to travelling I mostly go to unisex. I'm not sexist at all, I just feel more comfortable with girls than guys.

I think if guys want to have a male- only time in the gym that shouldn't be a problem either.

Same way I like that most places have separate ladies/gents bathrooms. Doesn't mean I am sexist against men, just feel more comfortable around women sometimes
Original post by Abbie :)
Do you feel personally offended if a guy wants some time in a gym with just guys?

I prefer just to go to ladies gyms, however due to travelling I mostly go to unisex. I'm not sexist at all, I just feel more comfortable with girls than guys.

I think if guys want to have a male- only time in the gym that shouldn't be a problem either.

Same way I like that most places have separate ladies/gents bathrooms. Doesn't mean I am sexist against men, just feel more comfortable around women sometimes

No, of course not. The issue comes with disparity, women only time but no equivalent for men, women only area but no equivalent. So there are two options that are fair, segregate completely or don't allow either sex a space alone. Segregating completely would likely be unpopular, as couples/groups/families go together. Hence no segregation is the only fair way forward.
Very few things are gender-segregated in the UK, pretty much only toilets. Less developed countries, like Saudi, tend to have more things segregated, so in general I'd say it's a step backwards, too. But if that's what everyone wants give it to them, but give the same to both sexes.
No, of course not. The issue comes with disparity, women only time but no equivalent for men, women only area but no equivalent. So there are two options that are fair, segregate completely or don't allow either sex a space alone. Segregating completely would likely be unpopular, as couples/groups/families go together. Hence no segregation is the only fair way forward.
Very few things are gender-segregated in the UK, pretty much only toilets. Less developed countries, like Saudi, tend to have more things segregated, so in general I'd say it's a step backwards, too. But if that's what everyone wants give it to them, but give the same to both sexes.

I get what you are saying but keep in mind that they will go where the money is. If not enough guys are saying they want men only gym hours then they won't offer them - simply because that doesn't appear to be where the money is. If women are more likely to go to the gym with no males then it will be offered for profit.

Unless more men speak up that they will go to the gym more if no women are there at certain points, then they won't just throw money at it.

I don't like the point of view that I've seen in some articles where they want men only hours because women have it. It shouldn't be splitting the sweets equally between the toddlers. If men genuinely want those hours then fair enough.
It's fine for there to be a womens hour, and he's right that men shouldn't have to pay the same price if they can't even use the gym. It's funny there's such a outrage, yet when women have to pay the same car insurance as men, even though they statistically have less accidents, no-one stuck up for women then. It's the same thing.
Original post by i-love-coffee
It's fine for there to be a womens hour, and he's right that men shouldn't have to pay the same price if they can't even use the gym. It's funny there's such a outrage, yet when women have to pay the same car insurance as men, even though they statistically have less accidents, no-one stuck up for women then. It's the same thing.

Because it's not the same sort of discrepancy. Women and men pay the same to get the same service, same level of insurance, same access to courtesy cars etc. Here, both sexes pay the same but one gets access to less gym time. Gender is essentially a protected characteristic and society sees it as wrong to penalise anyone just for their gender, ie men paying insurance more just because they are male. Similarly, women getting more gym access time just because they are female.
(Sidenote - I actually think women do pay less on insurance with some companies anyway due to less risk)
Because it's not the same sort of discrepancy. Women and men pay the same to get the same service, same level of insurance, same access to courtesy cars etc. Here, both sexes pay the same but one gets access to less gym time. Gender is essentially a protected characteristic and society sees it as wrong to penalise anyone just for their gender, ie men paying insurance more just because they are male. Similarly, women getting more gym access time just because they are female.
(Sidenote - I actually think women do pay less on insurance with some companies anyway due to less risk)

But it is the same thing.

Men & women pay for same gym cost but men get less access = loss of money for male members purely because of their sex.

Men & women pay for the same car insurance but women pay more for accidents that statistically don't happen = loss of money for female drivers purely because of their sex.
Reply 30
Tbh women shouldn't be allowed in a gym as they don't know how to use it properly, and all they ever do is cardio and abs

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't agree with women only hours

If you're that insecure then don't ****ing go. Work at home
Do they have men only hours?

More importantly. How would everyone react if a gym had men only hours? There'd be a **** storm I bet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/sites/all/files/documents/pdf/aphmtgenderneutralbenefits20120301response.pdf

Edit - and everyone knows that was bonkers. Look at infant mortality rates (ie almost impossible to be related to any lifestyle factor proxy), and tell me sex isn't a factor.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 34
I don't think there should be any 'woman only' or 'male only' gym or gym restrictions at all. I am for equality, our biology doesn't matter most of the time. If women are uncomfortable, even if it's due to men who are acting differently towards them, segregating does not eradicate the root of the problem. Oh, and bring on unisex toilets.

Interesting point. I'd like to know how far these statistics go on linking accidents to the literal biological difference between men and women. If there is a biological link to this disparity, I would approve of lower insurance for woman. To cover all bases, I wouldn't approve if it was just simple correlation. (e.g. If black people statistically have less accidents, should the same apply, even though it is not the colour of the skin that causes this phenomenon but something else?)
But it is the same thing.

Men & women pay for same gym cost but men get less access = loss of money for male members purely because of their sex.

Men & women pay for the same car insurance but women pay more for accidents that statistically don't happen = loss of money for female drivers purely because of their sex.

Except it's not the same at all. Both get the same ACCESS, that's the point. If a woman had an accident, she'd get the same cover as a man, she wouldn't get less help as she's not expected to have an accident. The service is the same for both, the access is the same for both, how much each gender uses it doesn't really come into the equation. It's fair because they pay for insurance in case of an accident, and both get the same thing.
Original post by Abbie :)
I get what you are saying but keep in mind that they will go where the money is. If not enough guys are saying they want men only gym hours then they won't offer them - simply because that doesn't appear to be where the money is. If women are more likely to go to the gym with no males then it will be offered for profit.

Unless more men speak up that they will go to the gym more if no women are there at certain points, then they won't just throw money at it.

I don't like the point of view that I've seen in some articles where they want men only hours because women have it. It shouldn't be splitting the sweets equally between the toddlers. If men genuinely want those hours then fair enough.

It isn't just about demand though, equality comes before that and the law should put that first. As I said, if there was a demand for 'whites only' gyms, and people were willing to pay massive prices for it, it still wouldn't be allowed because it would be considered discrimination.
It's not about toddlers and sweets, it's people campaigning for equality.

Why would it matter if the same facilities are available to both?

And stop comparing gender segregation to racial segregation. Why don't you go and complain about gender segregated toilets???!??! If white people wanted white toilets would that be allowed?!?!?! :rolleyes:
Original post by heirloom
I was wondering if any of you have seen this article posted on the daily mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2311098/Peter-Lloyd-Why-Im-suing-gym-sexist-women-hours.html
and what are your thoughts

This is a great idea. The majority of men are so creepy when they stare at you whilst you're working out. It makes the whole situation so uncomfortable. Even more awkward when you realise they are 50 year olds with wives :rolleyes:
Original post by Temporality
This is a great idea. The majority of men are so creepy when they stare at you whilst you're working out. It makes the whole situation so uncomfortable. Even more awkward when you realise they are 50 year olds with wives :rolleyes:

At my gym I've seen so many middle aged women glancing at the buff guys in there for the same reasons.

It works both ways, remember thatl

Latest

Trending

Trending