The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sexist gym with women only hours

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Solivagant
At my gym I've seen so many middle aged women glancing at the buff guys in there for the same reasons.

It works both ways, remember thatl

haha pervs
Original post by tnetennba
Why would it matter if the same facilities are available to both?

And stop comparing gender segregation to racial segregation. Why don't you go and complain about gender segregated toilets???!??! If white people wanted white toilets would that be allowed?!?!?! :rolleyes:

Because women are getting more options. They have a section to themselves, but say, if it gets busy they could use the mens section. Men would not be able to do the same. If a couple went, the woman could happily come find her partner in the guys section, whereas the man wouldn't be allowed into her section.
It's a valid comparison, and your ":rolleyes:" was simply unnecessary. The segregation of toilets based on gender can come down to many reasons, starting from the fact that the facilities required are different, and the genitalia being on show. I would have thought that was fairly obvious and did not need explaining. The important point is though that equal facilities are available to both, there are mens and womens toilets and neither sex is allowed into the other's. So, as I said, would be perfectly fair to have gender segregated gyms. I suspect that many people would not want this, because, as I said, families/couples/friends may attend gyms together. The inequality issue only comes about when one group has more access/facilities than the other.
Original post by joker12345
No, of course not. The issue comes with disparity, women only time but no equivalent for men, women only area but no equivalent. So there are two options that are fair, segregate completely or don't allow either sex a space alone. Segregating completely would likely be unpopular, as couples/groups/families go together. Hence no segregation is the only fair way forward.
Very few things are gender-segregated in the UK, pretty much only toilets. Less developed countries, like Saudi, tend to have more things segregated, so in general I'd say it's a step backwards, too. But if that's what everyone wants give it to them, but give the same to both sexes.

Saudi Arabia is not even a less developed country.
Segregation happens because of religion and some rules upon it.
Original post by Alisa59
Saudi Arabia is not even a less developed country.
Segregation happens because of religion and some rules upon it.

Hmm, perhaps developed was the wrong word, it's rich because of it's oil. But I think most people would agree it's a more backwards/less modern nation than western countries, so I guess I meant 'developed' in terms of a modern attitude. I am well aware of that. It isn't just religion - there is no Islamic rule stating a woman shouldn't drive, it's cultural.
Because women are getting more options. They have a section to themselves, but say, if it gets busy they could use the mens section. Men would not be able to do the same. If a couple went, the woman could happily come find her partner in the guys section, whereas the man wouldn't be allowed into her section..

The entire point is that many women can NOT enter the main section of the gym due to sexual harassment. They NEED a different place to exercise. Clearly so many women have had this problem that the gyms have picked up on it in order to create female zones.

And I don't know if you've ever been to a gym with such a feature, but just so you know, the female zone is always FAR smaller than the general area. Therefore no men ever need to use the female section anyway. If the general zone is full, the female zone will be PACKED
The entire point is that many women can NOT enter the main section of the gym due to sexual harassment. They NEED a different place to exercise. Clearly so many women have had this problem that the gyms have picked up on it in order to create female zones.

And I don't know if you've ever been to a gym with such a feature, but just so you know, the female zone is always FAR smaller than the general area. Therefore no men ever need to use the female section anyway. If the general zone is full, the female zone will be PACKED

So we need to tackle sexual harrasment. Women should report it if it happens, men who are 'offenders' should be dealt with by the gym, first by a warning and if they persist by not being allowed to attend any more. There is a difference between need and want, this is a matter of want. And no, it's not necessarily gyms picking up on this, it could also be women feeling insecure/uncomfortable exercising around men, which is their problem, not men's.
It was nice of you to ignore most of my post and only quote part. The suggestion was a female area with the same equipment as the general area, ie a large female area. Anyway, that's hardly the point. Inequality/sexism should not be tolerated in any way. As the article suggested, if women get perks (women only hours, women only section), either men should get an equivalent or women should pay more. If women really do NEED it, they'll surely take no issue with paying a little extra for it.
Reply 46
What are they doing at the gym anyway. Should be in the kitchen.
Original post by RtGOAT
What are they doing at the gym anyway. Should be in the kitchen.

Top marks for originality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Temporality
This is a great idea. The majority of men are so creepy when they stare at you whilst you're working out. It makes the whole situation so uncomfortable. Even more awkward when you realise they are 50 year olds with wives :rolleyes:

lol it's the same for me. I find it awkward when I get women staring at me when I'm trying to work out. A lot of them aren't even discreet about it.

Btw isn't discrimination in businesses illegal in this country?
Original post by ChickenMadness
lol it's the same for me. I find it awkward when I get women staring at me when I'm trying to work out. A lot of them aren't even discreet about it.

Btw isn't discrimination in businesses illegal in this country?

Hahaha. I'm too sexy for my shirt, too set for my shirt... lol
Original post by Temporality
This is a great idea. The majority of men are so creepy when they stare at you whilst you're working out. It makes the whole situation so uncomfortable. Even more awkward when you realise they are 50 year olds with wives :rolleyes:

I hate it when I'm squatting and women are checking out my ass. :frown:

There should be men only hours.

Isn't sexual harassment illegal?
Original post by TSA
I hate it when I'm squatting and women are checking out my ass. :frown:

There should be men only hours.

agreed. I feel self conscious if other people are around me. I should be given have my own gym which no one else is allowed to use.
agreed. I feel self conscious if other people are around me. I should be given have my own gym which no one else is allowed to use.

Maybe We could all wear burquas... that would be practical...

I know. Not my fault I decide to train in just my boxers that are too small for me.
So essentially, segregate gyms by sex? Sounds like a step back towards the old times.
Also, impractical. What if a couple goes to the gym and wants to work out together? Or a father and daughter, or male and female friends, etc?

ye it's basically like an apartheid regime. You're separated from your family and friends because of some silly prejudiced overlords.

What if my sister wants me to go to the gym with her?!?!?! We'd have to find a new gym.
It isn't just about demand though, equality comes before that and the law should put that first. As I said, if there was a demand for 'whites only' gyms, and people were willing to pay massive prices for it, it still wouldn't be allowed because it would be considered discrimination.
It's not about toddlers and sweets, it's people campaigning for equality.

Except a female only gym isn't illegal, and unlikely to cause offence to men who aren't just looking for something to complain about.
Original post by Abbie :)
Except a female only gym isn't illegal, and unlikely to cause offence to men who aren't just looking for something to complain about.

This thread is about having women only times in unisex gyms, a completely different issue. It's a shame that you see sexism as 'huts something to complain about'. I'd have argued that the male heir taking precedence over a female heir in the monarchy is wrong, even if it doesn't affect me, because I'd speak out for equality, not because I'm looking to complain.
This thread is about having women only times in unisex gyms, a completely different issue. It's a shame that you see sexism as 'huts something to complain about'. I'd have argued that the male heir taking precedence over a female heir in the monarchy is wrong, even if it doesn't affect me, because I'd speak out for equality, not because I'm looking to complain.

I'm all for gender quality, and I don't feel I need to defend myself there.

If enough men want the gym to have male only hours, with the reasoning it would make them more comfortable or be more practical then they should be given the hours.

If this is a case of men aren't allowed male only hours just because they are men, I see that as sexism.

However, I don't think it's sexist to allow women hours in the gym that men aren't there. Wanting to work out in an environment where no men are present does not make me sexist.

If, for whatever psychological or biological reason, men don't feel the need for separate hours then don't give them it - it's a waste of money. Girls, like myself, who are more likely to go to the gym if no men are present give reason for female only hours.

We aren't going to agree here, as we have different views on what qualifies as sexism. Anyways, nice debating with you.
Original post by Abbie :)
I'm all for gender quality, and I don't feel I need to defend myself there.

If enough men want the gym to have male only hours, with the reasoning it would make them more comfortable or be more practical then they should be given the hours.

If this is a case of men aren't allowed male only hours just because they are men, I see that as sexism.

However, I don't think it's sexist to allow women hours in the gym that men aren't there. Wanting to work out in an environment where no men are present does not make me sexist.

If, for whatever psychological or biological reason, men don't feel the need for separate hours then don't give them it - it's a waste of money. Girls, like myself, who are more likely to go to the gym if no men are present give reason for female only hours.

We aren't going to agree here, as we have different views on what qualifies as sexism. Anyways, nice debating with you.

Would it be equally non-discriminatory to want to work out in an environment with no whites or no blacks?

Latest

Trending

Trending