The Student Room Group

AS AQA A Psychology (Psya1 and Psya2) question

I've heard that you have to learn lots of case studies in the course. We have been told that there are some key studies you definitely have to remember, such as Baddeley 1966, but there are other smaller studies in the book, such as Conrad 1964 for encoding in STM and McCarty 1981 for sympathomedullary pathway research.

I was wondering if you have to remember all the key studies and smaller studies or if you have to remember just key studies and one smaller study for each topic? Or do you have to remember certain smaller studies?

Sorry, I am just confused.
Original post by turtleslikekiwi
I've heard that you have to learn lots of case studies in the course. We have been told that there are some key studies you definitely have to remember, such as Baddeley 1966, but there are other smaller studies in the book, such as Conrad 1964 for encoding in STM and McCarty 1981 for sympathomedullary pathway research.

I was wondering if you have to remember all the key studies and smaller studies or if you have to remember just key studies and one smaller study for each topic? Or do you have to remember certain smaller studies?

Heya, I'm going to put this in the Psychology forum for you as you should get more responses there.:smile:

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=211
Reply 2
Original post by turtleslikekiwi

You definitely do need to learn a lot of studies, and without them; it would be highly difficult to get at least a C. You should ensure that you at least learn the key studies for each topic, and these should be highlighted by the tutor or revision guide.

It's also important to remember that you don't need to know all of the studies, just enough so that you can answer any possible question that you may be asked in the exams, e.g. "Describe and evaluate research into eye witness testimony". So for Memory topics; learn a study each for capacity, duration, eye witness testimony and age effects, etc.

When I did the AS, I made a table of at least 8 studies for each topic, and used past papers to identify which questions are likely to come up as 'big marker's' and then tried to make sure that I have enough to talk about for the said question. For example: in preparation for an 8 mark "describe and evaluate research into EWT accuracy" I talked about Valentine & Coxan 1997, Loftus &Palmer 1974, along with Loftus' 1979 study of anxiety.

I'd always recommend 'over preparing' for the studies.

Happy to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending