The Student Room Group

2015 Nursing Applications - Where? Which Branch?

Scroll to see replies

@comcmahon
I went to London Southbank open day and I also had a taster session at City which I believe was helpful. I want to go to a few more open days also.
To be honest I haven't even given the interview process much thought so far.

What universities are you hoping to apply for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is everyone most looking forward to at Uni and do you plan on getting involved I.e extra curricular activities ?

@jordan-clo

Depending on where you want to get work experience or volunteering, it is sometimes quite simple. Hospitals may be slightly harder to get experience in however, settings such as a pharmacy, nursing home, charity shops, nurseries are more welcoming for volunteers and work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I am applying for Adult nursing this year after 4 straight years of unsuccessful's for Midwifery. I am applying to Essex University and Havering Campus at London South Bank Uni. I really hope I have a bit more of a chance with adult nursing then I did with midwifery. I work Bank shifts as a Health care assistant at my local hospital so I work along side nurses which has made me want to apply.
I wasn't gonna apply for nursing this year, having gotten AS grades that I wasn't pleased with (BCE), in Bio, Law and Economics. Thought I might as well take a risk and apply, nothing to lose.. :smile:

I'm not really sure about where I want to apply to yet, but the grade requirements range from ABB - BCC so hopefully I'll get at least one offer.

Good luck to everyone applying :smile:
@TiannaMiller

I'm applying for York, Bradford, Leeds Met, Chester and then I can not decide if to put Oxford Brookes or Anglia Ruskin as my final choice. How about you? I can't wait to go to the open days. My first one is in a couple of weeks :smile:
Reply 65
How much have people put in their personal statement about placements/work experience. What is the norm?
Reply 66
I start chester uni doing adult nursing in march 2015. So excited!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mrsc2010
hi glitter fairy.
Im going to apply to Southampton for adult nursing aswell. Did you go to their open day??
I was thinking of applying for dual field adult+mental health, but they said at the open day there is only 12 places on that course!!!! So im just sticking with adult as thats what im most interested in.

Im just starting my second yr of an access course at barton peveril and have been working for nhsp at southampton general for about 6 months.

Hi,

Yeah I did, was a great insight into how to make your application stand out etc!

Yeah the dual is quite tough to get into but they said if you just apply for dual and you don't get in, you will be considered for adult nursing as they have a lot more places for adult.

Small world, just finished barton peveril and did double health and social care but now taking a gap year!
Original post by fairplaytoyou
I wasn't gonna apply for nursing this year, having gotten AS grades that I wasn't pleased with (BCE), in Bio, Law and Economics. Thought I might as well take a risk and apply, nothing to lose.. :smile:

I'm not really sure about where I want to apply to yet, but the grade requirements range from ABB - BCC so hopefully I'll get at least one offer.

Good luck to everyone applying :smile:

Don't give up- one of my friends got into nursing this year with CDD, look at universities who may go on points or lower grades as you can get into nursing!
Reply 69
Original post by Glitter_fairy5
Hi,

Small world, just finished barton peveril and did double health and social care but now taking a gap year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! It is a small world! I done health studies and biology last year. Doing psychology and sociology this year.
Hated biology last yr, but looking forwars to this year.

I am mainly Internested in adult, was thinking of doing dual so I had a back up. So im not overly bothered bout only doing adult. Il be happy about only having to do 3 year.

Do you work in Southampton? I work at the general as a hca. But am looking for another job at the mo
i know haha!

And no i work as a healthcare assistant in a care home :smile:

Yeah haha, lots of my friends are doing nursing at southampton this year so it'll give me a insight into the course!
Original post by Glitter_fairy5
Don't give up- one of my friends got into nursing this year with CDD, look at universities who may go on points or lower grades as you can get into nursing!

Thank you! I was actually hoping to apply to BBB unis, it's that E that's the problem :frown: I doubt any BBB unis would actually consider me with my AS grades, which is a real shame.
Reply 72
I work for nhsp at the general and when ever we have student nurses on the ward I always ask them loads of questions! Haha!
Do you enjoy workin at the nursing home?
I mainly work on 1 ward, I done my training through nhsp and was put on this ward for my training. They are all lovely so iv told them they are stuck with me!haha!
Iv made friends through college and a few of them are applying for nursing the same time as me, so im glad im not alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all :smile:

I'm applying for Adult Nursing 2015 to Leeds, Leeds Met, Sheffield Hallam, York and Manchester.

Im currently doing the Level 3 BTEC Health and Social, however I have already done my a-levels and not got into university (twice!!( through this route, so trying a different route!

Really scared I won't get in, I really don't want to get rejected again!!

Fingers crossed this time I will finally get in!
Reply 74
try to have loads of hands on care experience and in your personal statement demonstrate the six c's especially compassion, as compassionate attitudes to nursing is the big thing universities are looking for at the moment. Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey all

I'm applying for adult nursing 2015 for Leeds, Leeds met, York, Sheffield Hallam and Manchester.

I've applied twice before for child and missed out because of my a level results and I've spent a year working and now I'm doing a college course.

Very nervous I won't get in so worrying already about putting my personal statement in.

Not got much volunteer work very hard to find for me!!

Good luck everyone else :-)
I am applying for university this year, although, I am really struggling to make a decision as to which branch of Nursing to apply for. I am currently stuck between General Adult Nursing and Mental Health Nursing.

Is anyone able to offer any help?:confused:
Reply 77
Original post by clairepemberton
Hi all,

Just wondered who is applying for Nursing for 2015?

I'm applying for Children's Nursing @ Southampton, Bournemouth, UWE and Birmingham City!

(Currently an Access Student)

:smile:

Hey,
I'm going to be applying for Children's nursing :smile:
The choices I have picked so far are-
Bucks, Plymouth, Bournemouth and still figuring out my last two!
If anybody is willing to give me a message so I can get an insight on day to day life being a student nurse on a children's ward then that would be amazing!
If anybody has done children's nursing at Bucks, Plymouth and Bournemouth then it would also be nice to have a chat about so I can find out a little more about it (haven't been able to get to open days)
Lastly what are some uni's anybody would recommend! :smile:
Thank you!!! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 78
Hi im hoping to apply for nursing this year my grades are CDE... Is it essential I get work experience in a care home? Ive worked in a pharmacy, and done voluntary work nd organised a charity event,
Hi..I want to do nursing.. And I'm doing my A levels right now... I'm confused about what subjects to do,
Biology,health and social care, psychology... Are these right and enough subjects to go to Uni and do nursing.
Also little info about entry requirements

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending