The Student Room Group

Civil service fast stream 2014/2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by thegetaway
This is so important. I almost missed out on a job last year despite a very high FSAC score, so if you really want to work in Europe this must be your first choice!

It is worth noting as well that the European stream has its own Diplomatic option.

Thanks for this advice, for us language types the decision between Generalist and a tiny shot at DS and EFS seems almost impossible! I didn't apply last year as I'm still a student but I followed the thread and I remember you :smile: Happy to hear that you only *almost* missed out!
Original post by pug08
Hi everyone,
the civil service website seems to have changed in the space of like a week and so I can't find all the information I originally saw :frown: can someone please clarify which one out of Generalist and European has to be put first if you want to be considered for it?

The European fast stream gives first preference to people who put their scheme as first choice. Because of how small the scheme is, realistically what this means is that you won't get a job on EFS having not put it first no matter how well you do at FSAC. I did, but I was very lucky that some additional places have been funded for this year's cohort!

I should point out that to the best of my knowledge that where the Diplomatic scheme says it must be your first choice for you to be considered, this means within the Generalist scheme (e.g. not as second choice with Houses of Parliament as your first) and not over all the schemes as a whole, although I'm happy to be corrected on that. I know someone who was called through to Diplomatic Final Selection Board for the Generalist scheme despite having EFS as their first choice.

Also, as I've said elsewhere, the EFS has its own Diplomatic option.
Original post by kat.lev
Thanks for this advice, for us language types the decision between Generalist and a tiny shot at DS and EFS seems almost impossible! I didn't apply last year as I'm still a student but I followed the thread and I remember you :smile: Happy to hear that you only *almost* missed out!

Thanks! I started in my department this week and it's great so far.
As suspected my numerical is really good but my verbal isn't as good. :lol: Just need to do loads of practice tests I guess :tongue:
I'm applying for GCS, just waiting for feedback on the online tests - a surprisingly long time actually, guess not many have applied for this scheme
Original post by Magnum Opus
I'm applying for GCS, just waiting for feedback on the online tests - a surprisingly long time actually, guess not many have applied for this scheme

Good luck :h: How did you find the tests in general? Have you applied before?
Original post by Slowbro93
Good luck :h: How did you find the tests in general? Have you applied before?

Surprisingly I haven't applied before, though I considered it a couple of years ago. The numerical tests are significantly easier than the verbal tests - which are often contradictory, 'x may mean y' is True in one question, but 'x may mean y' is False in another. The competency based questions were almost entirely 4s, it wasn't a good way of doing it in my opinion - they should have ranked from 1 to 4 really.
Reply 107
Surprisingly I haven't applied before, though I considered it a couple of years ago. The numerical tests are significantly easier than the verbal tests - which are often contradictory, 'x may mean y' is True in one question, but 'x may mean y' is False in another. The competency based questions were almost entirely 4s, it wasn't a good way of doing it in my opinion - they should have ranked from 1 to 4 really.

I will be doing my tests for this stream on saturday! Dragged my practise and real tests out to basically the full two weeks so I could get some trial ones done. I find that verbal are like that whoever you take them for, some it' just a 50/50 guess.
Original post by Luccy.
I will be doing my tests for this stream on saturday! Dragged my practise and real tests out to basically the full two weeks so I could get some trial ones done. I find that verbal are like that whoever you take them for, some it' just a 50/50 guess.

Oh that's great to hear, let me know how you get on.

Unfortunately (maybe?) I didn't drag the practice out so hopefully it will be fine. Have you done the 'official' practice tests? Where did they place you?
Reply 109
Oh that's great to hear, let me know how you get on.

Unfortunately (maybe?) I didn't drag the practice out so hopefully it will be fine. Have you done the 'official' practice tests? Where did they place you?

I only dragged them because this year is the first time i've ever had to do these tests so I was starting from having never see one before. In the official practise I was placed at the very bottom for literacy and then the middle for math. I would have passed the math but not literacy according to them. However, I did them in a cafe because I didn't have wifi at home and ran out of time, so hoping for great improvements when I take the real things haha.

Did another lot today for another program and passed so there's hope! :smile: Where did you place?
Original post by Luccy.
I only dragged them because this year is the first time i've ever had to do these tests so I was starting from having never see one before. In the official practise I was placed at the very bottom for literacy and then the middle for math. I would have passed the math but not literacy according to them. However, I did them in a cafe because I didn't have wifi at home and ran out of time, so hoping for great improvements when I take the real things haha.

Did another lot today for another program and passed so there's hope! :smile: Where did you place?

Middle 35% for verbal (whatever that means, I think it's a pass though), and top 35% for math. They're so wide though I could essentially be anywhere.

I'm guessing there are three ranges, lower 30, middle 35, and top 35?
Reply 111
Middle 35% for verbal (whatever that means, I think it's a pass though), and top 35% for math. They're so wide though I could essentially be anywhere.

I'm guessing there are three ranges, lower 30, middle 35, and top 35?

Someone was in the top 15% in both previously in this thread - I don't know the boundaries but I think at this point it's a fairly generous cut off - especially if not a lot of people have gone in for GSC right now.
Economists - I've just found out I've passed the application form stage, no email just logged into the fast stream site and had a new message. So might be worth a check if you haven't heard already!
Is there anywhere you can practice the type of tests before you apply? Or in general how are people preparing?
Reply 114
Original post by LucyJane
Economists - I've just found out I've passed the application form stage, no email just logged into the fast stream site and had a new message. So might be worth a check if you haven't heard already!

Ohh lucky you! Been waiting since last week, still nothing... A bit worried about my chances now. When is your EAC?
I'm going to start the practice test (not the self-assessed) ones tomorrow, just wondering, do they give out your average at the end for that one as well?
Original post by lilys
Ohh lucky you! Been waiting since last week, still nothing... A bit worried about my chances now. When is your EAC?

They're probably just looking through them in a weird order - fingers crossed you hear some good news soon :smile: I passed the EAC last year so don't have to go through it again this year! :smile:
Original post by bramley
Is there anywhere you can practice the type of tests before you apply? Or in general how are people preparing?

You can try the companies websites that run these types of online tests so try Cubiks (which provides the fast stream one) and SHL. There's also a practice one here: https://www.gov.uk/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply under "open access tests".

Original post by mellie220
I'm going to start the practice test (not the self-assessed) ones tomorrow, just wondering, do they give out your average at the end for that one as well?

You might have already found this out but they give you the you're in the top 15%, middle x%, lower x%.
Original post by LucyJane
You can try the companies websites that run these types of online tests so try Cubiks (which provides the fast stream one) and SHL. There's also a practice one here: https://www.gov.uk/civil-service-fast-stream-how-to-apply under "open access tests".

Thank you :smile:.
Anyone else applying for OR or stats?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending