The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Sexist gym with women only hours

Scroll to see replies

I think it's fine, as long as the male members are charged less for their membership (which makes sense as their hours have been restricted), or that they themselves are allocated male-only hours. Otherwise it's unfair.

As a male, however, I can't help but feel a little insulted that women feel they can't work out around me...
Men's membership should cost less for the hours they miss then.
If you call this stupid, you should call single sex toilets stupid, too.
Original post by SarcasticMel

What? Toilets are single sex for a reason, mainly that men get their dinkles out and women don't really want to see that, plus it would be awkward got the guy. Tbh loads of restaurants and nightclubs have just a toilet area with a few unisex cubicles.

A single sex gym is stupid. What is the actual reasoning behind it? That women don't want to work out with men around? If they're that self conscious maybe they should stick to aerobics classes or exercising at home. Maybe a solution to this would be to have entire gyms that are for women only, so no men are losing out on their membership fee.
Yet another example of men finding the tiniest things to whine about to help support their delusion that men somehow have it harder than women in society. This is so unbelievably not worth making a fuss about - not least an entire article in the daily mail. If there's demand for women-only hours because they feel more comfortable, what's the problem? It's not sexism, it's making clientele more comfortable.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SarcasticMel

Firstly, there are toilets available to both, so it's incomparable. That would be comparable to one of the solutions offered by the guy - to have a male only hour too. Second, men and women need different facilities (urinals for men) and the obvious nudity factor.
Original post by Chlorophile
Yet another example of men finding the tiniest things to whine about to help support their delusion that men somehow have it harder than women in society. This is so unbelievably not worth making a fuss about - not least an entire article in the daily mail. If there's demand for women-only hours because they feel more comfortable, what's the problem? It's not sexism, it's making clientele more comfortable.

Well it just means men need to find another gym if they're not allowed to work out in the original one. Which will be annoying if there are no other gyms around.

And men have higher membership fees because of this. Don't see how this is a tiny thing lol.
(edited 9 years ago)

So if a lot of white people get together and say they feel uncomfortable around black people, and want "white only" hours, is that acceptable? Of course not.

And another problem is that men are paying the same amount of money for the gym despite having less potential hours of use.
I guess it protects a woman's modesty but not letting men see them in tight gym gear. I have no problem with that.
Reply 89
should add another e in sexist
The principle of women-only hours is fine, since some might want to work out without men and that should be something a gym is within its rights to offer, but it's unfair that men should be charged the same amount without either getting a man-only slot or that gender-only hours are extras both sexes have to pay for.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
So if a lot of white people get together and say they feel uncomfortable around black people, and want "white only" hours, is that acceptable? Of course not.

And another problem is that men are paying the same amount of money for the gym despite having less potential hours of use.

The fact of the matter is that there are potential reasons why women would not want to work out with men, because a - admittedly small - number of men aren't mature enough to behave in a civilized manner in these environments. Comparing that to racism is just absolutely absurd, you are comparing apples and oranges. You are so determined to see prejudice against your gender in absolutely everything that you refuse to even recognise the obvious.

Original post by ChickenMadness
Well it just means men need to find another gym if they're not allowed to work out in the original one. Which will be annoying if there are no other gyms around.

And men have higher membership fees because of this. Don't see how this is a tiny thing lol.

Whilst I'm terribly sorry that there are some times of day you can't use a gym, I really think you need to get a grip on reality. The fact of the matter is that women are disadvantaged in comparison to men in practically every aspect of modern society. You are very welcome to cherry pick tiny examples of the opposite, but for every instance like this, I can give you ten - much more serious - examples of institutional sexism against women.
I think the gym is for exercising not for little teenage girls who go in their to look at boys working out.Because if boys did the same to girls then we would be classed as a pervert. And the law would support the women.
I agree with SamTheMan95, it does protect a womens modesty. I personaly wouldn't be comfortable working out ans sweating in my gym gear (tho im not overweight or anything) in front of men who are so obviously way fitter. Also having been ridiculed for going to the gym by guys outside of the gym theres no way i'd subject myself to tht kind of ridicule inside the gym, which is why i go to a womens only gym
But obvs women who don't live near a womens only gym would want the womens only hours.
The fact of the matter is that there are potential reasons why women would not want to work out with men, because a - admittedly small - number of men aren't mature enough to behave in a civilized manner in these environments. Comparing that to racism is just absolutely absurd, you are comparing apples and oranges. You are so determined to see prejudice against your gender in absolutely everything that you refuse to even recognise the obvious.

Whilst I'm terribly sorry that there are some times of day you can't use a gym, I really think you need to get a grip on reality. The fact of the matter is that women are disadvantaged in comparison to men in practically every aspect of modern society. You are very welcome to cherry pick tiny examples of the opposite, but for every instance like this, I can give you ten - much more serious - examples of institutional sexism against women.

Those reasons aren't exclusive to women. They happen to men too. Men and women should be treated equally and given the same opportunities.

Lol at the second paragraph. No point discussing anything with you.

Original post by Chief Wiggum

agree with this. You're probably the only person in the thread who thinks it's acceptable for a certain group of people to be forced to pay more than another group for less service.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sabrina3210
I agree with SamTheMan95, it does protect a womens modesty. I personaly wouldn't be comfortable working out ans sweating in my gym gear (tho im not overweight or anything) in front of men who are so obviously way fitter. Also having been ridiculed for going to the gym by guys outside of the gym theres no way i'd subject myself to tht kind of ridicule inside the gym, which is why i go to a womens only gym ������
But obvs women who don't live near a womens only gym would want the womens only hours.

God forbid anyone sweats while they're in the gym with other people around.
I see no problems with this. If a gym wants to restrict who uses it at certain times that's fine. They are a private business and if their customers want it they can get it. If it's funded by the council it's more of an issue but to increase participation by groups that would normally not take part in exercise is a noble cause. If you are against it talk to the management or go to a different gym.
Original post by ChickenMadness
God forbid anyone sweats while they're in the gym with other people around.

Sorry for not wanting to be grunting like a pig when lifting weights in front of fit guys. Call me stupid but i'd like to retain some dignity.
Original post by Sabrina3210
Sorry for not wanting to be grunting like a pig when lifting weights in front of fit guys. Call me stupid but i'd like to retain some dignity.

Do you agree that there should be men-only hours for the men that don't want to grunt like a pig and sweat around fit women?
Original post by k9markiii
I see no problems with this. If a gym wants to restrict who uses it at certain times that's fine. They are a private business and if their customers want it they can get it. If it's funded by the council it's more of an issue but to increase participation by groups that would normally not take part in exercise is a noble cause. If you are against it talk to the management or go to a different gym.

Isn't stuff like this against the law though? For example a bakery owned by Christians got sued a while ago because they refused to bake a cake for a gay couple.

This is pretty much the same thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending