The Student Room Group

St. George's UoL GEM (A101) Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 41
Original post by Zorg
What an incredibly silly place to put it. Sorry, I thought I had exhausted all of the links on their GEM page.
At least they're quite clear with what they expect.

The website does need a bit of a revamp and streamlining, in all fairness.
Reply 42
Oh no.

I wanted to use my current job as relevant experience on my personal statement and at interview. But I haven't said that I'm applying and I wouldn't intend to unless I was offered a place because I can't put my job at risk.

Going to email & ask if they would accept a copy of my contract and job description instead. Anyone had a similar situation before?
Reply 43
Original post by M150
Oh no.

I wanted to use my current job as relevant experience on my personal statement and at interview. But I haven't said that I'm applying and I wouldn't intend to unless I was offered a place because I can't put my job at risk.

Going to email & ask if they would accept a copy of my contract and job description instead. Anyone had a similar situation before?

Are they that adverse to you progressing forwards in healthcare? Most any decent manager will understand entry level roles will not hold staff long term and that goes for many industries.
Reply 44
If it's pre-reg... You have to back yourself to get a place and ask for a reference. Don't be pessimistic!
Reply 45
Original post by Zorg
Are they that adverse to you progressing forwards in healthcare? Most any decent manager will understand entry level roles will not hold staff long term and that goes for many industries.

Unfortunately I'm not working in a direct patient facing role, more management who are less forgiving and I know if I leave to do medicine they won't be allowed to replace me at that point in my fixed term contract which I wouldn't complete. If I ask for a reference it would be before the end of my probation period and they may well be able to replace me at that point instead - also if I don't get in then I will have shot myself in the foot for further progression in what would be a pretty interesting career.

Will email SGUL directly. Hopefully it's a common issue (I never provide references for job applications until I have an offer).
Hi,
I
am writing to see if you can clarify some doubts that I have about the transfer to medicine scheme which is available to Biomedical science students.
-Once a student has completed years 1 & 2 of Biomedical Science and achieved 65% in first year and 67% in the second year with predicted 2:1, can they transfer to year 3 of the 5 year MBBS course (permitting the interview is successful) hence making the start of Biomedical Science to the end of the Medicine course 5 years.
This may not be relevant to your conversation but this is the only thread I could find related to St George's university of London.
Thank you
Original post by ScienceGUYY
Hi,
I
am writing to see if you can clarify some doubts that I have about the transfer to medicine scheme which is available to Biomedical science students.
-Once a student has completed years 1 & 2 of Biomedical Science and achieved 65% in first year and 67% in the second year with predicted 2:1, can they transfer to year 3 of the 5 year MBBS course (permitting the interview is successful) hence making the start of Biomedical Science to the end of the Medicine course 5 years.
This may not be relevant to your conversation but this is the only thread I could find related to St George's university of London.
Thank you

It's 6 years - you go into T year and it's another 3 years from there. You have to do all 3 years of Biomedical Science (dissertation etc) and you graduate, then you start in the 3rd year of medicine in September after you graduate. (Also you're classed technically as a GEP.)

But everything you said about marks/grades is right :smile:
Last post got deleted. Don't know why. I think a mod wasn't happy with approving of minor edits, so I'm going to post this again. I will make no further edits this time.

Cliffs:

Ignore the curve.
Colours correspond to the year of the UK GAMSAT sitting. (e.g. purple is the 2010 sitting for 2011 entry)
Coloured lines represent the score at the 75th percentile for that sitting. You may need to open the image in a new tab to make things out more clearly.
Cut-off scores and numbers of applications for that year are also colour coded.
Ignoring the 2012 GAMSAT for 2013 entry, the trend since 2010 has been for the cut-off to match or be greater than the 75th percentile.
The 75th percentile in every sitting for 2007 has been 60 +/- 1.

Cliffs of cliffs:

GAMSAT UK percentiles are very consistent with a score of 60 +/-1 needed to be in the top 25%.
SGUL usually has 1300 applicants for GEM and 300 interviews, which is also the top 25%.
25 would seem to be the magic number.
Don't assume a score of 60 is safe, even if past results would suggest otherwise.
Enjoy pointless data.
Reply 49
I would feel safe with 60 - contrary to the above.
Original post by MiloMilo
I would feel safe with 60 - contrary to the above.

It's from caution. I would not want to tell people that they're safe with 60 or 61 and for it to then end up being 62.
Reply 51
Original post by JeffNoThanks
It's from caution. I would not want to tell people that they're safe with 60 or 61 and for it to then end up being 62.

I agree completely. However, the trend has been to see GAMSAT requirements drop rather than increase and 60 appears to be a safe score these past years. However, like you say, only just - and there is no guarantee. However, if I was asked for the lowest score I think would be safe - I would be quietly confident that 60 would be fine.
Reply 52
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd introduce myself as a fellow SGUL applicant this year.

About to start my 4th year in Chemistry and am currently volunteering at a hospital whilst shadowing junior doctors.

Hope everyone's GAMSAT revision is going okay! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by Mr Men
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd introduce myself as a fellow SGUL applicant this year.

About to start my 4th year in Chemistry and am currently volunteering at a hospital whilst shadowing junior doctors.

Hope everyone's GAMSAT revision is going okay! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello and welcome to the thread. Apologies for the late reply, it's been such a busy few weeks - what with the personal statement and all..!

Good luck with GAMSAT to everyone taking it... is it next week..?
Original post by MiloMilo
Hello and welcome to the thread. Apologies for the late reply, it's been such a busy few weeks - what with the personal statement and all..!

Good luck with GAMSAT to everyone taking it... is it next week..?

A week yesterday aah!
Reply 55
Original post by buttoned.up
A week yesterday aah!

Haha, I feel for you!

Let me know how it goes!
Reply 56
Original post by Tabris
Their online prospectus (here) currently states 55 minimum in each section, like with 2013 entry. This is liable to change without notice though.

Saw these posted on NMM a few weeks back.

Thought you might want to hear, someone on NMM called up and was told 50 minimums over the phone.
Original post by Zorg
Thought you might want to hear, someone on NMM called up and was told 50 minimums over the phone.

The website has been updated for 2015 entry, and under entry requirements states 50 minimums per section too.
Reply 58
In case anyone is interested - I emailed to ask if I would be able to supply a copy of my job description and contract in lieu of a HR reference prior to offers being made and they are happy with this.

Wish all the universities would make up their minds about how they are going to select candidates already though.
Reply 59
Original post by Zorg

They already told me by email a while back. Thanks for the thought anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending