The Student Room Group

Is Computer Science more rewarding than Electrical Engineering

Hello everybody, firstly I just want to say I am so sorry for this long message but I am posting in the Science and Technology section because the courses I am interested in will come in this field and also you will all have a lot of knowledge in these fields.

I am 29, and have been working full time in dead end jobs and have decided to take the big step into going back to University
Mainly to better my life, and hopefully gain some good education, and aim to be on a much better salary than what I am on now (15k)

I am torn between two completely different degrees which are either Computer Science, or Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
I have done a lot of research into both courses, e.g. what they consist of which is ALOT of hard work, both heavily focused on Maths and more Physics in EEE.
From what I understand, both courses may cover similar topics such as Algorithms and programming. I understand EEE is more practical and CS more theory based looking at software rather than hardware.

I have achieved all my GCSE's, and would say I am stronger in Maths than Science however from what I have read (correct me if I am wrong) but it appears a career in Electrical Engineering is more rewarding (financially and demanding) than Computer Science?

I am not going to lie, I would like to succeed in either of the degrees hopefully with a one year placement and look to eventually, after experience, be on a good salary, because thats what I am aiming for. I would like to aim for a career which pays better but I am torn between the two courses.

May I also add, I have spoken to the Unis I am interested in which both offer degrees in Computer Science or Electrical Engineering, and next week I either start an Access to HE in Computing OR Engineering Technology.

The problem is that the Unis are advising me that if i want to study Computer Science at Uni, then they require me to study the Access to Computing course but if I want to study Electrical Engineering then I must take the Access to Engineering and Technology.

The modules for each course are listed below:

Access to HE in Computing:

Module: Computing Fundamentals Credits

Computer Systems 6
Event Driven Programming 6
Systems Analysis 6
Software Design & Development ( VB.NET) 3

Total - 21 Credits

Module: Computing

Relational Databases 3
Desktop Support 3
Installing, Configuring & Maintaining Systems 3
Mobile Computing 3
Networking 6
Website Development 3
Mathematics for Computing 3
Total - 24 Credits

Module: Skills for Learning and ICT 15 Credits

Total 60 Credits

The computing course will also have an additional module which is Advanced Mathematics.
Unis are requesting I get distinctions in Advanced Maths, maths for computing, and all the programming modules to gain access to the Computer Science degrees. They have stated if I do this course I cannot gain entry onto any of the Electrical Engineering degrees, even the Computer Science combined with EE.

The modules for the Access to Engineering course is:

MATHEMATICS MODULES (LEVEL 3)

3DM1 - Unit 1 Foundations in Mathematics: Introduction to Mathematical Topics
3DM2 - Unit 2 Theories and Perspectives in Mathematics: Building Mathematical Skills
3DM4 - Unit 4 Practical Skills in Mathematics: Examined Mathematical Skills

Total of 15 Credits

FURTHER MATHS MODULES (LEVEL 3)

3DFM - Further Mathematics

Total of 6 Credits

ENGINEERING SCIENCE MODULES (LEVEL 3)

3DES1 - Unit 1 Foundations in Engineering Science: Engineering Science Concepts
3DES2- Unit 2 Theories and Perspectives in Engineering Science: Principles of Electrical Science
3DES3- Unit 3 Topics and Themes in Engineering Science: Engineering Experimentation and Investigation
3DES4- Unit 4 Practical Skills in Engineering Science: Mechanical Engineering Technologies

Total of 21 Credits

PHYSICS MODULES (LEVEL 3)

Unit 1- Foundations in Physics: Basic Mechanics
Unit 2- Theories and Perspectives in Physics: Heat, Materials and Atoms
Unit 3- Topics and Themes in Physics: Oscillations and Waves
Unit 4- Practical Skills in Physics: Electricity, Fields and Electromagnetism

Total of 21 Credits

SUSTAINABLE ENERGY ENGINEERING (LEVEL 3
)

3DSS4 - Sustainable Energy Engineering (Standalone Unit)

Total of 6 Credits

HE Toolkit - 3 credits

As you can see, the Access to Engineering is heavily Maths and Physics focused, thus why the Unis are saying I must do this for access onto the EEE courses but if I do this Access course they will NOT allow me entry onto Computer Science!!!

So to conclude guys, I have like less than a week to decide which Access course to take, one will lead me to Computer Science, one to EEE.

I really dont know which career will be more rewarding, as after all, this is all for my future to gain a better life...

Please help me guys, I know ultimately only I can make the choice but with positive feedback you will make it easier for me to decide.

Thank you so much for listening

Jay
which unis?

The problem is that the Unis are advising me that if i want to study Computer Science at Uni, then they require me to study the Access to Computing course but if I want to study Electrical Engineering then I must take the Access to Engineering and Technology.

this sounds a bit bogus to me - CS degrees don't usually require you to have previously learned any programming but they do need you to be decent at maths... the engineering access course seems to have the maths units but the computing access course seems to be more about skills training.
Reply 2
This is what I thought, I e-mailed Aston, Uni of Leicester, Uni of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent. All Admissions Tutors advised me the same - if I want to study CS then take the Access to Computing. If i want to do EEE then do Access to Engineering. Even though the Engineering has more Maths.

I can assure you I have done my research in e mailing them, so I am not sure what to do?
Original post by cswizard
This is what I thought, I e-mailed Aston, Uni of Leicester, Uni of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent. All Admissions Tutors advised me the same - if I want to study CS then take the Access to Computing. If i want to do EEE then do Access to Engineering. Even though the Engineering has more Maths.

I can assure you I have done my research in e mailing them, so I am not sure what to do?

It's a difficult time of year to get a sensible answer out of unis Make sure you're taking advice from academics in the relevant departments rather than generic admin staff drafted into admissions duty

have you been looking at BEng Electronic Engineering & Computer Science at Aston?
if you got admitted to that I'd suppose it'd be possible to switch into EEE or CS after starting (but confirm with dept)

anyhoo - I'm biased but engineering is better, there aren't that many pure computer science jobs and for most of the type of jobs that CS graduates are after, you can get into just as well with EEE.
Reply 4
Is there any reason why your biased towards Engineering lol? Yeah, thats the course I looked at - Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Aston - I actually liased with the Head of Dept - Professors in that field, not the admin people but actual course directors and tutors.

I just dont get why even on the BEng Electronic Engineering & Computer Science course the teacher is telling me I must study Access to Engineering, yet if I want to do BSc in Computer Science hes telling me I have to Access to Computing.

But I have been e mailing direct course directors and tutors.

Any advice?
Original post by cswizard
Is there any reason why your biased towards Engineering lol? Yeah, thats the course I looked at - Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Aston - I actually liased with the Head of Dept - Professors in that field, not the admin people but actual course directors and tutors.

I just dont get why even on the BEng Electronic Engineering & Computer Science course the teacher is telling me I must study Access to Engineering, yet if I want to do BSc in Computer Science hes telling me I have to Access to Computing.

But I have been e mailing direct course directors and tutors.

Any advice?

Well you've been talking to the right people, we'll just have to assume they're telling the truth whether or not it seems to make sense.

leaving out the life story - CS would probably have been a course I'd have enjoyed a lot but it looked like it was very definitely training for researchers in CS. I think it'd have broken my heart to engage with all that lovely exciting theory and then have to leave and get job doing some boring databasey commercial stuff. This was a long time ago - there's probably some guy in India doing the boring databasey job by now anyway.
Reply 6
What GCSE subjects did you choose?
As someone who graduated from CompSci, I didn't really take to the very theoretical studies of the subject. If there were practicals great, but they were far and in-between. I'd recommend EE as generally, its a more on hands course and suits a practical learner. I didn't really put that much thought into it at the time,

Since you're looking to go straight into work after graduating, I don't think the job opportunities will differ between whichever course you pick, so pick the one you think you'll enjoy more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending