The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bahonsi
If your parents make you pay rent.

How cruel of them!
Original post by Lucilou101
How cruel of them!

But for some families that's the only way they can survive.
How cruel of them!

I don't see how that's cruel. I'm sure they'd ask for much less than halls would cost. Before I went to uni, my parents asked for £100 a month to cover my food :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bahonsi
But for some families that's the only way they can survive.

My parents are dirt poor, they wouldn't charge me rent. Who else is going to use the room?

Unless they rented it out to someone else I guess instead of you, but I don't know how many households do that.
My parents are dirt poor, they wouldn't charge me rent. Who else is going to use the room?

Unless they rented it out to someone else I guess instead of you, but I don't know how many households do that.

Yes but if you're staying at home they have to cover your food and utility use. I think it's fair to ask an adult to cover their costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lascelles
Yes but if you're staying at home they have to cover your food and utility use. I think it's fair to ask an adult to cover their costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They've been doing it for 18 years so I don't see how it's going to be any extra cost to them.

I'd understand paying it if you were working full time and still living with your parents, but I think being still in education is a bit different :smile:

I know quite a few people who pay rent. And most cases they find it cheaper to stay home rather than live away from home. Paying rent and helping out your parents isn't a bad thing. They could easily rent the room out an get even more money for it.
They've been doing it for 18 years so I don't see how it's going to be any extra cost to them.

I'd understand paying it if you were working full time and still living with your parents, but I think being still in education is a bit different :smile:

But if you're an adult I think you should start taking some responsibility for yourself. Lots of students do by moving out and paying their own bills. I don't think it should be any different if people choose to stay at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bahonsi
I know quite a few people who pay rent. And most cases they find it cheaper to stay home rather than live away from home. Paying rent and helping out your parents isn't a bad thing. They could easily rent the room out an get even more money for it.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with paying rent - just that I wouldn't do it. But then again, I wouldn't live at home either.

I'm hoping to help my parents well if my finances go to plan - I guess every family is different!
Original post by lascelles
But if you're an adult I think you should start taking some responsibility for yourself. Lots of students do by moving out and paying their own bills. I don't think it should be any different if people choose to stay at home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which is exactly why I am moving out - because I want the independence. I would never stay at home during uni, but if I ever did I would probably not except my parents to charge me rent. Although I probably would help out every now and again! :smile:
Which is exactly why I am moving out - because I want the independence. I would never stay at home during uni, but if I ever did I would probably not except my parents to charge me rent. Although I probably would help out every now and again! :smile:

Yeah that's fair enough. And I guess each family's different. I didn't get to uni until I was 23 so I guess staying at home and paying rent is part of my way of life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i've living at home and i'll be paying my parents £25 a week for food costs and a contribution to electricity. i know it is a lot less than i would have to pay if i was in accommodation so i don't mind too much
Maintenance Loan: £4,432
Maintenance Grant: 0
Bursaries: 0
Scholarships: 0
Savings: 0 (though I did have £700 left over from last year that went on rent)
Money from Parents: £450 per month

Accommodation Cost: £386 a month
Weekly spend after Accommodation: about £100

I'm extremely lucky. I'm an only child so my parents don't have to worry about supporting anybody else and they also finished paying off their mortgage last august, and a few weeks later I went to university. And they finished paying off their car at a similar time so all the money that they were spending on these outgoings went straight to me.

I'm so very grateful to them.
Maintenance Loan: £4114
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £4,000 spread over 2 years (£1000 in the first term which I chose to put towards my accommodating) and 200 pound from the Art school as the course is a practical based.
Scholarships: N/A
Savings: 90 quid haha
Money from Parents: -78 pounds (I borrowed some money off them for a passport so they're getting money from me :P )

Accommodation Cost: £4200.00 per year, £100 a week
Weekly spend after Accommodation:

Deducting my £1000 pound for accommodation for the first term, me and my dad worked it out that I would have about 172 pounds a week to live on, which is too much for me I couldn't manage to spend that much in one week!
I've also got my DSA coming through but I'm not sure how that would work
Original post by laurenatlantic
Maintenance Loan: £4114
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £4,000 spread over 2 years (£1000 in the first term which I chose to put towards my accommodating) and 200 pound from the Art school as the course is a practical based.
Scholarships: N/A
Savings: 90 quid haha
Money from Parents: -78 pounds (I borrowed some money off them for a passport so they're getting money from me :P )

Accommodation Cost: £4200.00 per year, £100 a week
Weekly spend after Accommodation:

Deducting my £1000 pound for accommodation for the first term, me and my dad worked it out that I would have about 172 pounds a week to live on, which is too much for me I couldn't manage to spend that much in one week!
I've also got my DSA coming through but I'm not sure how that would work

You won't see any of the money from DSA, any general allowance will have to come out of your money first and DSA pays you back, everything else will generally be paid directly to where it is needed.
Original post by KiwiMonkey96
You won't see any of the money from DSA, any general allowance will have to come out of your money first and DSA pays you back, everything else will generally be paid directly to where it is needed.

Well no one told me about how the support is going to be delivered, all I've been told by my mental health team is that I should apply for it and I'm eligible :confused:
Well no one told me about how the support is going to be delivered, all I've been told by my mental health team is that I should apply for it and I'm eligible :confused:

Are you applying through student finance england? If so any support will be paid directly to where it's meant to be paid, so for any non-medical helpers like mentors and note-takers will be paid directly to the university, for any equipment they will be direct to the supplier, if you are given a travvel allowance or general allowance you will be expected to pay first and supply receipts for them and you will be paid back, these could be things like for photocopying and book and other consumables. Also, if you happen to need to use public transport to get to uni then you may find that they may make up the difference between a taxi and the bus if your disability means that you find public transport difficult.
Original post by KiwiMonkey96
Are you applying through student finance england? If so any support will be paid directly to where it's meant to be paid, so for any non-medical helpers like mentors and note-takers will be paid directly to the university, for any equipment they will be direct to the supplier, if you are given a travvel allowance or general allowance you will be expected to pay first and supply receipts for them and you will be paid back, these could be things like for photocopying and book and other consumables. Also, if you happen to need to use public transport to get to uni then you may find that they may make up the difference between a taxi and the bus if your disability means that you find public transport difficult.

That makes sense, it prevents me from sometimes on a bad day from travelling on a public bus, can't concentrate and very forgetful and sometimes I might not be able to turn up or I have to leave lectures early

Wish someone explained it to me before:colone:
That makes sense, it prevents me from sometimes on a bad day from travelling on a public bus, can't concentrate and very forgetful and sometimes I might not be able to turn up or I have to leave lectures early

Wish someone explained it to me before:colone:

If you want more info on DSA go over to the disabled students forum, there are people over there that know a lot more than me and I'm sure would be willing to give you any advice and answer any questions. No one can tell you exactly what you will get but just what they got from DSA but it still might give you a good indication :smile:
I've tidied this thread. Please keep this on topic as per the OP and keep any debate regarding student finance in your new shiny thread here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2880735

Thanks!

Neostigmine

Quick Reply

Latest