The Student Room Group

History or economic history at LSE

hi

i've got a bit of a dilema, i have achieved AAB at a-level (A's in history and biology and a B in economics)

I really want to go to LSE , for the reputation and the london city life

for economic history they typically offer AAB

for straight history they typically offer AAA

i would prefer to just do straight history but is there any point in applying or do you think it will be a categorical no, and instead focus on gettign a good PS done for economic history where i know i have the grades

cheers
What do you want more? LSE or History? Of course, your question is whether you can have both.

No harm in writing directly to ask LSE Admissions although the most likely answer will be it depends on your cohort applying in that year for History. At least you have done your best in finding out, instead of just guessing, before deciding whether to apply just to Economic History.

Good luck. Let us know too.
Reply 2
i think i want LSE more. it seems for a job which doesnt require a specific degree, the uni you went to is looked at more . LSE seems to be pretty well regarded in deed

i emailed LSE about doing history and they said they wouldnt drop there typical ofer unless exceptional citcumstances, so im gonna just aim for economic history. still a valid degree
Original post by george123m
i think i want LSE more. it seems for a job which doesnt require a specific degree, the uni you went to is looked at more . LSE seems to be pretty well regarded in deed

i emailed LSE about doing history and they said they wouldnt drop there typical ofer unless exceptional citcumstances, so im gonna just aim for economic history. still a valid degree

Well now you know for sure. And you will find Economic History very employable.
History at LSE is my dream degree! I get the feeling its like a children of freemasons course :smile: because it is so relevant: international modern history.

History covers so much: wars, diplomacy, development of the modern world..

You could go on to be a financier, barrister, diplomat..

I thought subjects such as Geography and Mathematics would be applicable because of the content of modules.

If I was living in London right now I would go and sit in on the lectures :colondollar:
I think you are looking at a very competitive entry so minimum AAA

Most likely A*AA plus extra stuff.
Reply 6
Original post by GandalfWhite
Well now you know for sure. And you will find Economic History very employable.

yea, i atually think i will prefer it

you seem to have quite a lot of knowledge on econ history, is there any chance i could PM you my personal statement?
The best thing to do would be to go look at all the modules for Economics and Economic History and History and get a good idea of what they would be teaching you and note down bits that you find interesting and come up with a statement that shows that you understand what you would be taught and that you already have a good understanding of it already.

I'm being honest in saying that realistically a B in Economics is not going to get you in there but try and see what happens, you can only try and hope for the best.

King's, Queen Mary plus SOAS are all good institutions for the London life.

Think about History and Economics at SOAS.

SOAS was the institution to teach the civil servants who served during the British empire in India and Africa so the history at SOAS has a colonial / british empire flavour to it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by george123m
yea, i atually think i will prefer it

you seem to have quite a lot of knowledge on econ history, is there any chance i could PM you my personal statement?

​Do not PM your ps to anyone.
Not only that you understand what you would be taught but that you have a good idea of what you would do with the course afterwards?

Most people think of earning a huge salary and going to work for Goldman Sachs.

I saw a guy that did Economic History at LSE and now is a secretary for Prince Andrew, Duke of York (Queen's second son - 5th in line to the throne).

I know that LSE has a new Quantitative Economic History (Cliometrics) Ph.D. so awareness that research is looking at understanding the long term of data sets.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending