The Student Room Group

How to get into teaching an A-level subject?

I need advice as I would like to teach A-levels, however I have no teaching qualifications. I am a recent graduate, I did not study the A-level I want to teach but I studied it at GCSE and degree level, however my degree was made of 2 subjects areas. I have tried to gather us much info and as far as am aware to teach in further education you don't need any teaching qualification although they are preferred and of course good knowledge of the subject you want to teach either through experience or your education background.

I know taking the PGCE would be one route, however I don't want to do this due to the financial and time commitment. I would prefer to do the certificate in education and training as it less time consuming and less expensive especially as I don't want to go into teaching as a full time career but something part time, to help me provide an income. I am not just in it for financial reasons I love my subject area and would love to share this knowledge with others. I am hoping that would then be able to teach older adults including A-level students if possible.

So is it possible to get into teaching through this route, or do I need to do a PGCE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ontrack7
I need advice as I would like to teach A-levels, however I have no teaching qualifications. I am a recent graduate, I did not study the A-level I want to teach but I studied it at GCSE and degree level, however my degree was made of 2 subjects areas. I have tried to gather us much info and as far as am aware to teach in further education you don't need any teaching qualification although they are preferred and of course good knowledge of the subject you want to teach either through experience or your education background.

I know taking the PGCE would be one route, however I don't want to do this due to the financial and time commitment. I would prefer to do the certificate in education and training as it less time consuming and less expensive especially as I don't want to go into teaching as a full time career but something part time, to help me provide an income. I am not just in it for financial reasons I love my subject area and would love to share this knowledge with others. I am hoping that would then be able to teach older adults including A-level students if possible.

So is it possible to get into teaching through this route, or do I need to do a PGCE?

Have you looked into teach first? They do on the job teacher training for graduates who want to teach at secondary school level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Somehow I think the OP is more interested in working in a sixth-form/FE college than a secondary school, judging by the tone and content of their post. Not sure if Teach First operates in colleges...
Reply 3
Original post by Angelil
Somehow I think the OP is more interested in working in a sixth-form/FE college than a secondary school, judging by the tone and content of their post. Not sure if Teach First operates in colleges...

Yeah but very rarely are new teachers allowed to teach higher levels until they've got experienced lower down. Teach First is a good way to get the experience necessary without a teaching qualification which would allow them to go into a level teaching.
Im not aware of any route which allows you to teach a levels without any experience or qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by em.d_4
Yeah but very rarely are new teachers allowed to teach higher levels until they've got experienced lower down. Teach First is a good way to get the experience necessary without a teaching qualification which would allow them to go into a level teaching.
Im not aware of any route which allows you to teach a levels without any experience or qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I did look at teach first but as someone mentioned they do not provide training in further education and this is what am interested in. I don't have any teaching experience but I have qualifications in regards to my degree, which am hoping if i undertake some training (not a PGCE) I would be able to get into teaching.
Reply 5
Has anyone got any advice/info?:cry2:

I'm afraid the best way to is to do a PGCE as many colleges do strongly prefer you to be qualified. Before you decide whether or not to do this, you need to volunteer in colleges. You could ask the teachers there how they got into further education too, to shed some light on the different routes.

It might help if you told us the subject you wish to teach as different subjects will be taught by different kinds of teachers?

Take maths for example - if it's A Level maths you want to teach, this will usually be taught by an experienced, qualified secondary teacher who has then moved onto teaching A Level.

There's lots of other maths being taught in further education, however, that might be taught by post-16 qualified teachers who've never taught in secondary, for example GCSE maths re-sits, functional skills, numeracy, adult maths, etc.

Same with English - teaching A Level English to 16-19 year olds will usually be done by a qualified secondary teacher, whereas ESOL or literacy may be taught by an FE teacher.

Then there are the A Level subjects in which you can't (always) be a qualified secondary teacher - media, sociology, psychology, law, economics, etc. - these subjects might also be possible for somebody without a secondary PGCE to teach at A Level.

But do tell us your subject and maybe we can advise more specifically!
Reply 8
Original post by moutonfou
It might help if you told us the subject you wish to teach as different subjects will be taught by different kinds of teachers?

Take maths for example - if it's A Level maths you want to teach, this will usually be taught by an experienced, qualified secondary teacher who has then moved onto teaching A Level.

There's lots of other maths being taught in further education, however, that might be taught by post-16 qualified teachers who've never taught in secondary, for example GCSE maths re-sits, functional skills, numeracy, adult maths, etc.

Same with English - teaching A Level English to 16-19 year olds will usually be done by a qualified secondary teacher, whereas ESOL or literacy may be taught by an FE teacher.

Then there are the A Level subjects in which you can't (always) be a qualified secondary teacher - media, sociology, psychology, law, economics, etc. - these subjects might also be possible for somebody without a secondary PGCE to teach at A Level.

But do tell us your subject and maybe we can advise more specifically!

I would like to teach A-level french, however there might be a problem as I didn't study A-level French, however I did it at GCSE level and also did french as part of my degree that was composed of another subject. I am hoping that due to my degree s it would still be possible, however i do worry as it was only part of my degree it may be a hindrance.
Reply 9
bump
Reply 10
bump..
If you don't hold a degree specifically in French then I don't see how you'd be able to?

What is your degree? Was the French just a small module of the entire degree? I know a lot of uni's let you study a language as a kind of side module, and if that's the case then the answer is no, you won't be able to teach it.
Reply 12
Original post by CandyKoRn
If you don't hold a degree specifically in French then I don't see how you'd be able to?

What is your degree? Was the French just a small module of the entire degree? I know a lot of uni's let you study a language as a kind of side module, and if that's the case then the answer is no, you won't be able to teach it.

I don't want to disclose to much info (Sorry I just want to remain anon here) but I can tell you my specific degree title was a social sciences with French. I studied French throughout my years at uni, unlike other french degree students I studied french language modules but never did a french literature module, and also I spent a year studying in France. So would I still be able to teach A-level French?
The best I can find is with regards to GCSE's: http://qualificationstobeateacher.co.uk/

''[h="3"]What type of degree do I need to have to become a teacher?[/h]To teach primary school, your degree can be in any subject, but to teach in secondary school, your degree must be in the subject related to what you are planning to teach, such as Maths or French. If you have a degree in a subject other than the subject you wish to teach, you may have to undertake a Subject Enhancement Course. ''
You could just ask college teachers and find out?
It's hard to find any info on what's required to teach A levels, personally I would have asked my university but as you've finished your degree... :/
Reply 15
My advice would be to do a PGCE that is tailored specifically to post-16 education (PGCE/PCET). As part of the course you would be placed in a sixth form/college NOT a secondary school, and this qualification allows you to only teach FE (you won't be qualified for primary/secondary). Though they do say that your degree needs to be specific to the subject you want to teach, from the sounds of it your degree was a joint honours? In that case, you should be able to teach that subject, though it will depend on the uni/course you want to apply for. Hope this helps!
It's hard to find any info on what's required to teach A levels, personally I would have asked my university but as you've finished your degree... :/

Think you can still seek advice from university careers services even after graduating. Think there are plenty that also serve their alumni.
Reply 17
I would like to teach A-level french, however there might be a problem as I didn't study A-level French, however I did it at GCSE level and also did french as part of my degree that was composed of another subject. I am hoping that due to my degree s it would still be possible, however i do worry as it was only part of my degree it may be a hindrance.

I'm currently doing an FE PGCE and my subject is English. I don't have English at A Level, however I do have it at GCSE and did English modules in my degree. I think you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
The best I can find is with regards to GCSE's: http://qualificationstobeateacher.co.uk/

''What type of degree do I need to have to become a teacher?

To teach primary school, your degree can be in any subject, but to teach in secondary school, your degree must be in the subject related to what you are planning to teach, such as Maths or French. If you have a degree in a subject other than the subject you wish to teach, you may have to undertake a Subject Enhancement Course. ''

Thanks for the link, but it covers compulsory education whereas I want to teach post compulsory education.
Reply 19

I think this is the best way I will contact my local college to get more information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending