The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Esmeralda4
I'm off on a trip with uni today...exploring 'outdoor learning'. Should be fun!

Sounds fantastic! :smile: I hope you had fun!
Original post by Chrissi86
Sounds fantastic! :smile: I hope you had fun!

It was brilliant. We were able to see different ways of using the outdoors in learning as well as getting to know each other better. Lots of different activities and things...The perfect end for a great (but overwhelming and intense) induction to the course. :-D

It's only been a week and a half but I already feel like I've learnt so much!
Congratulations to everyone who has finished their first, or another week on pgce haha and good luck to everyone starting monday.... enjoy your weekends :smile:

[51SIZE]Posted from TSR Mobile
It was brilliant. We were able to see different ways of using the outdoors in learning as well as getting to know each other better. Lots of different activities and things...The perfect end for a great (but overwhelming and intense) induction to the course. :-D

It's only been a week and a half but I already feel like I've learnt so much!

With SHU? I did it on Wednesday, it was great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jeffercake
With SHU? I did it on Wednesday, it was great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No I'm with Derby. Such a good idea though, I think!
...also, anyone else starting to realise how tired they are? I woke up at 5 past 11 today, and I'm a morning person usually!! Aha.
...also, anyone else starting to realise how tired they are? I woke up at 5 past 11 today, and I'm a morning person usually!! Aha.

I feel you. Sooo tired. I was planning on a lie in this morning, still woke up at 6:20. Feel like I have a hangover, if only i did!

Yes! I've been feeling my eyes going heavy at 9.30pm, normally I don't go to bed til midnight.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gemmam
Yes! I've been feeling my eyes going heavy at 9.30pm, normally I don't go to bed til midnight.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I fell asleep at 10pm last night and didnt wake up til 8 30am. Lol... thats not like me
I had that Monday after the first day but actually after that my body just kind of went oh ok! I'm slightly achey after all the walking and bending but that might be age :wink:
Anyone else doing schools direct PGCE route? I got a last minute place on this year's course as someone dropped out. Very intense but I feel like I have learnt so much which is obviously great. I'm doing Primary so it is a very varied curriculum which I love!
Original post by Peachz
Anyone else doing schools direct PGCE route? I got a last minute place on this year's course as someone dropped out. Very intense but I feel like I have learnt so much which is obviously great. I'm doing Primary so it is a very varied curriculum which I love!

Wow, that's a lot to take in on such short notice!! Glad you're enjoying it so far. :-)

I'm on the traditional PGCE so I'm yet to go into school.
Wow, that's a lot to take in on such short notice!! Glad you're enjoying it so far. :-)

I'm on the traditional PGCE so I'm yet to go into school.

How does it work for you then??
I had my first day on the PGCE yesterday. We were bombarded with an incredible amount of information, and I get the impression that professional studies is going to be very dry. We spent the afternoon with the science department, however, which was much more interesting and enjoyable. I think I'll enjoy the subject studies part of the course. Still no news on my placement school, though...
Original post by tory88
I had my first day on the PGCE yesterday. We were bombarded with an incredible amount of information, and I get the impression that professional studies is going to be very dry. We spent the afternoon with the science department, however, which was much more interesting and enjoyable. I think I'll enjoy the subject studies part of the course. Still no news on my placement school, though...

My advice is make the most of professional studies- take the chance to talk to your peers about your educational principles, ideas about childhood etc. If you understand and form these ideas well they will be great as a starting point for your career.

Subject sessions are very helpful in practice and exciting (I felt almost like I was going back to school!) but subject content will always change and ideas are available in lots of places. It's much harder to find opportunities to discuss principles of education with groups of other professionals, especially tutors who are experts. I'd recommend noting down (in shorthand-don't spend ages unless you feel you want to reflect more) interesting things you notice in practice to discuss at your next PS session as bringing real examples really helps stimulate the interesting discussion and make it all more relevant.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
What lovely words of encouragement :-) I have just started my PGCE - I've had one week of lectures and seminars! So far, I love it. I am after a little advise though, I have a tutorial on Tuesday where I am to discuss my 'targets for Development' We are to identify three targets and discuss them with our tutor. I don't really know what is meant by this - they say the targets should be 'challenging and precise' and I will need to say what I will do to reach them and how I will know these targets have been met - do you have an example of what I should be writing??:colondollar:
Original post by fiverileys
What lovely words of encouragement :-) I have just started my PGCE - I've had one week of lectures and seminars! So far, I love it. I am after a little advise though, I have a tutorial on Tuesday where I am to discuss my 'targets for Development' We are to identify three targets and discuss them with our tutor. I don't really know what is meant by this - they say the targets should be 'challenging and precise' and I will need to say what I will do to reach them and how I will know these targets have been met - do you have an example of what I should be writing??:colondollar:

Do you know about three "SMART" idea for targets... They should be specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timed.

I find it really tough to stick to these but it does help make the whole thing a lot clearer! Chances are your uni will have a form to full in with targets which will lead you to these things anyway. Basically you want something precise, state how you are going to achieve it including support you need and when by.

It's tough at this point as you haven't started teaching yet, there are so many targets it's hard to choose some and know how you'll achieve them. So I think they'll probably give you lots of support in choosing and writing them at this stage :smile:

Example:

To be able to use my voice effectively.
Children will respond to changes in my tone of voice, mentors will note use of voice in observations.
I will observe other teachers using voice, discuss user of voice with my class teacher, practice my tones of voice out of class and note what works after each lesson.
Achieved by Xmas.

Ok that one wasn't very specific lol... It's easier to set specific goals for children than yourself :P

Another example:

To use peer assessment at least once a day.
Will be noted on plans and observed by mentor.
I will observe other teachers' peer assessment methods, read about ideas in x book.
Achieved by October half term.

Things in general that you might want to work on at this stage are setting behaviour boundaries, developing a relationship with the children, getting timings right, including essential elements in your lessons, learning marking procedures.

Things like whole class assessment, adapting plans well, supporting SEN will probably come later in the year :smile:

Hope this helps a little. Overall, don't panic, they will support you and it will get easier as you go along as you'll have targets from lesson observations to work on. For now just think about what you are nervous about and how you can get better at that.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you so much for your help - I like your example of using your voice effectively. I hadn't heard of SMART but I googled and watched a power point presentation on it which was very good.

I think at this stage, I will just set targets for myself based around Uni work, which will be gaining knowledge and understanding of the Teaching Standards and setting myself smaller achievable goals as I am a bit bogged down with family life and workload already so I guess devising a 'doable' timetable my be my first target!

I am not out on placement till after Easter as I am doing the part time course.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated :h:
Original post by fiverileys
Thank you so much for your help - I like your example of using your voice effectively. I hadn't heard of SMART but I googled and watched a power point presentation on it which was very good.

I think at this stage, I will just set targets for myself based around Uni work, which will be gaining knowledge and understanding of the Teaching Standards and setting myself smaller achievable goals as I am a bit bogged down with family life and workload already so I guess devising a 'doable' timetable my be my first target!

I am not out on placement till after Easter as I am doing the part time course.

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated :h:

Ah yes that sounds perfect!

Yes definitely make then doable and don't be afraid to give yourself plenty of time to achieve them. If you get it done sooner you always can set a new target, if it's not dove you have to explain why!

There are loads of techniques and ideas eg learning theories to learn about, plus curriculum knowledge, so there should be plenty to choose from :smile:

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
:colondollar:

I feel so much better now. Thank you everso much

Quick Reply

Latest