The Student Room Group

Eng Lit A level?

Hi

I'm doing maths further maths physics and history but am finding history quite boring - does anyone know if Eng Lit would be a good alternative? Is it very hard to get top marks, like an A at AS? Is it interesting? Will it be quite time consuming?

Thanks
Original post by quamquam
Hi

I'm doing maths further maths physics and history but am finding history quite boring - does anyone know if Eng Lit would be a good alternative? Is it very hard to get top marks, like an A at AS? Is it interesting? Will it be quite time consuming?

Thanks

I found english literature easier than history, even though I preferred history :tongue: I felt it required less effort, there's less to memorise, for example. If you know your texts well and stick to the assessment objectives, you should breeze through it :smile: I put barely any work into literature and still got an A. Perhaps have a look at the texts you'd be studying to ensure you'd be okay on the course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It's very time consuming, with essays, coursework and reading taking up a large portion of your day. That being said, it is by far my favourite A-level, and wouldn't drop it for the world.
Its deceivingly time consuming. But if you like analysing things, you'll like it.
Original post by Arkasia
It's very time consuming, with essays, coursework and reading taking up a large portion of your day. That being said, it is by far my favourite A-level, and wouldn't drop it for the world.

Just shows how much my teachers didn't care, oops :rofl: I never had work for it, did a couple of essays across the two years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Changing Skies
I found english literature easier than history, even though I preferred history :tongue: I felt it required less effort, there's less to memorise, for example. If you know your texts well and stick to the assessment objectives, you should breeze through it :smile: I put barely any work into literature and still got an A. Perhaps have a look at the texts you'd be studying to ensure you'd be okay on the course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile: Did you do AQA eng lit? And you say you preferred history - did you still find eng lit interesting though? Or did it get a bit boring? Cheers! :smile:
Thanks! :smile: Did you do AQA eng lit? And you say you preferred history - did you still find eng lit interesting though? Or did it get a bit boring? Cheers! :smile:

No problem :h: Yeah I did :smile: I loved literature! So much, so I'd definitely recommend it :h: I did prefer A2 though because I did gothic literature :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
No problem :h: Yeah I did :smile: I loved literature! So much, so I'd definitely recommend it :h: I did prefer A2 though because I did gothic literature :love:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha thanks :smile: Also, is there a big step up from GCSE? :smile:
Not particularly difficult.

Somewhat interesting.

Not particularly time consuming.
Reply 9
Just shows how much my teachers didn't care, oops :rofl: I never had work for it, did a couple of essays across the two years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that does seem a little relaxed of them, but its fine as long as you came out with good grades.
Aha thanks :smile: Also, is there a big step up from GCSE? :smile:

I actually didn't find it too bad! The way you style your answers and the depth of them is different, but I wouldn't say I found it more difficult :smile: I could help you out if you ever need advice :smile:
Original post by Arkasia
Yeah that does seem a little relaxed of them, but its fine as long as you came out with good grades.

One said I'd fail numerous times, too :colonhash: but very true :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

One said I'd fail numerous times, too :colonhash: but very true :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's one really supportive teacher you had there :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest