The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by O133
You have a Head of Oxbridge??

Yup.
Original post by Cutiepatootie175
You guys are all so intelligent! I only got ABBU in my AS (Although I was 1 UMS off an A in one subject and 3 off an A in another). I go to such a bad sixth form, I wish I had gone to another, I need AAA to go where I want and although t's achievable, it's going to be hard work. The highest grades from my school 2014 w girl who got A* AB, although that is brilliant, it's the best grades achieved from the scool, that's not too great.
Also, my school leaves applications so late that I'm scared I won't even get offers from my chosen universities.
Sorry about the poor typing, I can spell, but my iPad won't let me correct my typing errors, so I have to leave them.

1. Never underestimate how much you can improve your grades from AS to A2
2. You are not defined by the quality of the school you go to!

Universities are mindful of the fact that different schools will have different standards, and if you perform among the highest in a school that normally produces poor grades then you will be recognised for those efforts. In addition, some universities offer lower contextual offers for students from schools that don't perform as well. For instance, I was surprised to find out that my school (which still does produce candidates with several As and A*s each year!) is considered part of the lowest 10% in London and therefore receives offers of one grade lower from the University of Bristol. :biggrin:

Also, don't let your school mess you about when it comes to applications. You, as a student, have the right to put your foot down and say that you need personal statements, references, predicted grades and whatever else sorted as soon as possible.
Original post by Bude8
PS 2nd draft done, and my Head of Oxbridge says it's good enough to be the final :lol:

Meanwhile, some of my friends are on their 6th draft :lol:

Still haven't received a draft back yet, and I sent it to my Head of Sixth and Form Tutor nearly two weeks ago! Granted, I decided a bit late (a few days ago) that I'm definitely going for Oxford and so I don't suppose I was their priority until recently. :colondollar:

Head of Oxbridge... sounds fancy. We don't really have anything like that at my school, though I am lucky enough that one of my Classics teachers went to Cambridge and knows the system and the standard Oxbridge look for - and I'm applying for Classics too! :biggrin:
Original post by Bude8
Yup.

That's the sort of thing we can only wish for (although it's only a couple of people per year max that apply).
Original post by O133
That's the sort of thing we can only wish for (although it's only a couple of people per year max that apply).

We have about 20-30 this year that are interested, but I think we'll only get 5-6 in at most. We're talking about college choices today.
Original post by Bude8
We have about 20-30 this year that are interested, but I think we'll only get 5-6 in at most. We're talking about college choices today.

I have my draft done but haven't had feedback from teachers... I'm happy to send it as it is but waiting for their input.
Original post by Bude8

Impressive... My school has maybe 5-6 that apply each year and as far as I know, no one has gotten in. :colondollar:
Wow people are done with their personal statements.I still have to start -_______-
Received some pretty devastating news. Apparently Pembroke really doesn't like IB applicants that are applying for scientific courses - we had someone very good apply there and he got rejected without interview. Although that was quite a while ago, I've been advised not to apply there :cry:

Looking at Christ's or Peterhouse now.
Guyyysssss, is there much point in getting predicted grades higher than the grades you need? My teachers said I could have A*A*A* if I wanted but I asked for AAA instead as A) Being realistic, A*s aren't going to happen :tongue: and B) my course wants AAA, so there's no point predicting me above that as I'll still meet the requirements. Like, I'd rather get predicted an A and end up with an A* than have it the other way around. Can universities give out offers higher than the minimum requirements?
Original post by Bude8
Received some pretty devastating news. Apparently Pembroke really doesn't like IB applicants that are applying for scientific courses - we had someone very good apply there and he got rejected without interview. Although that was quite a while ago, I've been advised not to apply there :cry:

That's really annoying... how did you find out? Surely they're not allowed to discriminate against IB applicants like that? Christ's is nice though, if you're thinking of applying there. :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Guyyysssss, is there much point in getting predicted grades higher than the grades you need? My teachers said I could have A*A*A* if I wanted but I asked for AAA instead as A) Being realistic, A*s aren't going to happen :tongue: and B) my course wants AAA, so there's no point predicting me above that as I'll still meet the requirements. Like, I'd rather get predicted an A and end up with an A* than have it the other way around. Can universities give out offers higher than the minimum requirements?

Not sure. The way I look at it, if you're predicted above the entry requirements then your application is likely to stand out from the rest to some degree. And hopefully it should discourage any doubt in the admissions tutors' minds that you might miss their offer. I figure that there must be a significant number of people each year that achieve lower than their predicted grades, so if you're predicted A*A*A* for an AAA course then perhaps they might view you as more likely to meet the AAA offer, even if you don't actually achieve three A*s. But those are just my musings on the topic. :biggrin:

I'm hoping for an A*A*A* prediction myself. Not sure when my teachers are giving predicted grades though. For Classical Civ my "minimum target grade" is an A and I'm the only one in the class to have been set that, so I'm hoping that logically means my predicted or "maximum" grade should be an A*. :colondollar:
Original post by Bude8

Haha I'm applying Christ's woo
Haven't been here for ages :colondollar:
Reply 2074
Original post by foreverstrong_97
Haven't been here for ages :colondollar:

Hello! :wavey:

How has life been? :h:
Original post by 8472
Hello! :wavey:

How has life been? :h:

Hi haha

Well that's a hard one to answer..but it's been ok. How about you? :smile:
Reply 2076
Original post by foreverstrong_97
Hi haha

Well that's a hard one to answer..but it's been ok. How about you? :smile:

Life is sunshine and grey clouds at the same time. :redface:
Original post by 8472
Life is sunshine and grey clouds at the same time. :redface:

Yeah couldn't put it better myself....we see both but it's up to us which side we want to see more
Anyone considering Medicine at Cambridge? What subjects did you pick for A-level and what grades did you get? I got AAAB with the B in physics unfortunately and now I have no idea what to do?😭 any ideas?
Original post by simranchhugani
Anyone considering Medicine at Cambridge? What subjects did you pick for A-level and what grades did you get? I got AAAB with the B in physics unfortunately and now I have no idea what to do? any ideas?

I suggest you don't apply to Cambridge only because they put a lot of emphasis on your AS grades and not only that but your UMS marks too. What uni's are you looking at? Have you done your UKCAT?

Latest