The Student Room Group

Remark Experiences

Hey guys, so now that results day is over, I was hoping you would share some of your successes (or downfalls) with remarking. It would be very helpful to know your UMS and how far away you were off the next grade, and the outcome of your remark (whether you went up :biggrin: or down :frown: ) and by how many marks. Thanks! :biggrin:

Btw ! am considering a remark for my subjects, for Chem, where I got a C in (190) but was 10 away from a B, should I get a remark? Or for Psychology which was a D but was about 7 UMS off a C. And for Bio I got a C, and was also 10 UMS off, so what should I do? Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oh and a quick update: I don't think exam boards can give you a remark AFTER you order your scripts because now they give the original scripts, so anyone thinking of doing that, AVOID (I was planning on doing this, but now will have to go straight into a remark :frown:)
Reply 2
I see no one has remarked their paper this year then . . . .
I'm currently waiting on 4 remarks which were all 1-4 UMS of the grade above!
If Psychology is essay based then I'd probably go for it but with Chemistry and Biology most of the answers are set so it would be harder for you to go up much I'm afraid but its still possible!
Reply 4
I am waiting for a GCSE RS remark, 1 mark off an A.
Then I will get a GCSE prize for getting all A*s/As since I will have 2A*s and 8As I hope.
Reply 5
Original post by theJdog
Hey guys, so now that results day is over, I was hoping you would share some of your successes (or downfalls) with remarking. It would be very helpful to know your UMS and how far away you were off the next grade, and the outcome of your remark (whether you went up :biggrin: or down :frown: ) and by how many marks. Thanks! :biggrin:

Btw ! am considering a remark for my subjects, for Chem, where I got a C in (190) but was 10 away from a B, should I get a remark? Or for Psychology which was a D but was about 7 UMS off a C. And for Bio I got a C, and was also 10 UMS off, so what should I do? Thanks :smile:

Unless you know that there has been an issue with the marking (e.g. lots of your school have had successful re-marks) then I would say that all of those are too far away to bother with a re-mark - the further you are from the higher boundary the closer you are to the one below so you chance of a successful remark reduces (meaning you waste you money) and your chance of the grade going down increases.

I've processed about 15 A level science re-marks requests this year and the most one has changed by is 4UMS and that went down.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Compost
Unless you know that there has been an issue with the marking (e.g. lots of your school have had successful re-marks) then I would say that all of those are too far away to bother with a re-mark - the further you are from the higher boundary the closer you are to the one below so you chance of a successful remark reduces (meaning you waste you money) and your chance of the grade going down increases.

I've processed about 15 A level science re-marks requests this year and the most one has changed by is 4UMS and that went down.

Out of curiosity, if you have processed any psychology papers, have there been many changes? AQA spec A to be specific (Both PSYA1/2)

Thanks.
Reply 7
Yay got 2 A*s and 8 As!
Original post by theJdog
Oh and a quick update: I don't think exam boards can give you a remark AFTER you order your scripts because now they give the original scripts, so anyone thinking of doing that, AVOID (I was planning on doing this, but now will have to go straight into a remark :frown:)

You can ask for scripts back, but you need to ask for a photocopy.
Sadly, I think you've left it too late to get your script back in time to request a remark, but it's worth asking your college.

As for your exams, with 10 marks off in science subjects your only hope is a clerical check, where they ensure all questions have been marked etc. There's very little chance that they incorrectly marked, as there's little room for interpretation.

As for Psychology, I'm not all too familiar with the exam, but essentially the more essay/long answer questions you've had to answer, the more chance of a grade going up.

And my personal experience is that I had a History GCSE paper remarked, got 2 more UMS for an A overall. Had a Media AS paper remarked, needed 1 UMS for an A and I had no change in marks.
Reply 9
Original post by loperdoper
Sadly, I think you've left it too late to get your script back in time to request a remark, but it's worth asking your college.

The deadline was 22 August, so as you suggest, it is way too late.
Reply 10
Original post by Compost

As for your exams, with 10 marks off in science subjects your only hope is a clerical check, where they ensure all questions have been marked etc. There's very little chance that they incorrectly marked, as there's little room for interpretation.

As for Psychology, I'm not all too familiar with the exam, but essentially the more essay/long answer questions you've had to answer, the more chance of a grade going up.

And my personal experience is that I had a History GCSE paper remarked, got 2 more UMS for an A overall. Had a Media AS paper remarked, needed 1 UMS for an A and I had no change in marks.

Ah right then, thanks, I shall maybe try for psychology, but not for the others. And no I asked for photocopies on result's day, but they said that you can't ask for a remark afterwards because the exam boards have newly introduced this system whereby they give you the original script, and I think only A2 could get them (? not sure) (I think I saw on AQA that after the script has been ordered you can't ask for remarks, don't remember where now exactly, something along the lines of you can't request for enquiry for results no. 2 which was the remark after the script has been ordered). Or maybe my school is messed up ? :confused: This is what I was told, so that's what I'm assuming is correct. I don't know tbh. I just really hoped to get a B in Chem, I worked so hard :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by theJdog
Ah right then, thanks, I shall maybe try for psychology, but not for the others. And no I asked for photocopies on result's day, but they said that you can't ask for a remark afterwards because the exam boards have newly introduced this system whereby they give you the original script (I think I saw on AQA that after the script has been ordered you can't ask for remarks, don't remember where now exactly, something along the lines of you can't request for enquiry for results no. 2 which was the remark after the script has been ordered). Or maybe my school is messed up ? This is what I was told, so that's what I'm assuming is correct. I don't know tbh. I just really hoped to get a B in Chem, I worked so hard :frown:

Ah, AQA may have changed their policy then, my apologies. WJEC and OCR still allow remarks after recalls.

Are you keeping Chem on in A2? Take your near miss as motivation, and try and make up the marks for an overall B.
Reply 12
Ah, AQA may have changed their policy then, my apologies. WJEC and OCR still allow remarks after recalls.

Are you keeping Chem on in A2? Take your near miss as motivation, and try and make up the marks for an overall B.

Yeah I don't know about OCR or Edex but AQA have I think, I remember my exams officer mentioning it to me too. And yeah I am, I'm dropping Psy (got BCCD, D in Psy). I really wanted to get AAB or ABB next year, but now I'm not so sure . . . And thanks, I will :biggrin: Thanks for the help :biggrin:
I just got an A2 Geography paper remarked and nothing changed, still 4 UMS off an A grade overall.
Original post by theJdog
Ah right then, thanks, I shall maybe try for psychology, but not for the others. And no I asked for photocopies on result's day, but they said that you can't ask for a remark afterwards because the exam boards have newly introduced this system whereby they give you the original script, and I think only A2 could get them (? not sure) (I think I saw on AQA that after the script has been ordered you can't ask for remarks, don't remember where now exactly, something along the lines of you can't request for enquiry for results no. 2 which was the remark after the script has been ordered). Or maybe my school is messed up ? :confused: This is what I was told, so that's what I'm assuming is correct.

Sorry, but it sounds as though your school has messed up. For AQA, CCEA, Edexcel OCR and CCEA you can order a photocopy of your script (AS or A2) for 8 days after the GCE results come out. The whole purpose of this is so you can look at the marking and then go for a re-mark if you think it's worth it.
Reply 15
I got an Edexcel Geography A2 paper remarked, went up 11 UMS from a C to an A, and pushed the overall grade from an A to A*. Still waiting on an Edexcel Japanese paper, need 1 UMS to get an A*.
Went from 99/120 to 85/120 for English Lit... :O I really hate AQA. Thank God it didn't change my overall grade.
Sent my AQA AS Chemistry Unit 2 for a remark because I had originally got 111/140 and needed 112/140 for an A on that paper.

Went down to 109/140 :'(

Hence, overall score went from 225/300 down to 223/300

I really do hate AQA exams/examiners.
Original post by BWCW
I got an Edexcel Geography A2 paper remarked, went up 11 UMS from a C to an A, and pushed the overall grade from an A to A*. Still waiting on an Edexcel Japanese paper, need 1 UMS to get an A*.

How long did it take to hear back from them? Im waiting on geography aswell!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VonDoom
Yay got 2 A*s and 8 As!

Well done! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest