The Student Room Group

General Discussion Further Pure 1 - 4 Maths 2015 [All Exam Boards]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alpen
I got 100 in FP3 this year so I'll be happy to help with FP1/FP2/FP3

Very nice :smile:.
Original post by Dilzo999
I'm up for FP2, although I did do M3 so you can make a thread for mechanics as well :smile:.

Finally done. I guess I'll get around to making a better OP later today or perhaps tomorrow :smile:.
Further Maths is the most beautiful thing you shall study :biggrin:

That might be slightly biased because I love Mathematics :wink:

I did AQA, and I'd definitely recommend practising FP2 and FP4 more than the rest because the questions asked can get quite complicated and in depth with so much to do, and the techniques used in FP3 are consistent throughout all papers so once you feel confident you will do great :biggrin:

I'm not the best, but I'm happy to help with anything :biggrin:
Reply 43
Doing FP1/2/3 this year with Edexcel. FP1 is being taught in school right now, and FP3 in Jan. I'm forced to self-teach FP2 :s-smilie:

Any advice from you veterans on here?
I got an A* in FM last year so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Reply 45
Original post by Coombsy
I got an A* in FM last year so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

How hard is fp2 compared to fp1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr-96
How hard is fp2 compared to fp1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

FP1 is an AS unit and FP2 is an A2 unit, therefore there is a huge step up in difficulty.

On the AQA course, some of FP1 introduces and lays the foundations for topics that you take to a more advanced level in FP2 (such as complex numbers and roots of equations).

FP2 also intoduces alot of new, challenging maths - more than the other Further Pure modelues (for me anyway): proof by induction, hyperbolic functions etc.

For me FP1 was similar in difficulty to a hard Core 2, whereas FP2 was much harder than Core 3 or Core 4.
After a year of doing no study, it is hard trying to.
I've been doing every exercise (most questions). On chapter 3 now. Hoping to get to chapter 5 by following weekend.
I'm doing FP1-3 this year (Edexcel). I've just started FP2 and have covered inequalities & Maclaurin series (the lesson on that was on the 19th :wink: )
What's the hardest part of FP2? I'd guess differential equations could be tricky but as they used to be FP1 I'm not sure.
Original post by StarvingAutist
I'm doing FP1-3 this year (Edexcel). I've just started FP2 and have covered inequalities & Maclaurin series (the lesson on that was on the 19th :wink: )
What's the hardest part of FP2? I'd guess differential equations could be tricky but as they used to be FP1 I'm not sure.

Depends really. Sometimes polar questions can be tough, but they can also make complex numbers quite tricky.

Differential equations was the fun bit, for me anyway :tongue:
Reply 50
HI im doing fp2-4 this year *cries*

I'd probably say complex transformations, DE's are pretty easy just really long and easy to make a silly mistake.
How are we all?
Original post by keromedic
How are we all?

Super, thanks :biggrin:

And yourself?
Original post by alexmufc1995
Super, thanks :biggrin:

And yourself?

Good. Starting a new job on Monday. Once I have a good idea of the hrs, I'll start studying. I can't do anything without a schdule.

Complex numbers and sometimes polar integration
Reply 56
Finished first order DEs today, nice chapter :smile: Second order looks massively harder though... oh well.
Original post by alexmufc1995
Depends really. Sometimes polar questions can be tough, but they can also make complex numbers quite tricky.

Differential equations was the fun bit, for me anyway :tongue:

I guess I'll just see how it goes. I can see polar co-ordinates getting hard, and I've heard people complain about complex numbers (loci specifically)

Original post by Dilzo999
I'd probably say complex transformations, DE's are pretty easy just really long and easy to make a silly mistake.

Ugh, silly mistakes are what i'm best at :lol:

Original post by Mike_123
Complex numbers and sometimes polar integration

Everyone seems to agree on those two, so I'll be on my toes :tongue:
Original post by Navo D.
Finished first order DEs today, nice chapter :smile: Second order looks massively harder though... oh well.

1st order are harder than 2nd don't worry
Reply 59
Original post by Mike_123
1st order are harder than 2nd don't worry

I really hope you aren't joking :tongue:

At least I've finished 1-4 now (bar the complex loci & transformation, get to that later :colondollar:). Thinking of whether to do second order next, or take a shot at taylor and maclaurin series

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending