The Student Room Group

2015 Consulting graduate applications

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by saks10111
I've applied for strategy consulting too! Passed the tests and got an email about a week back saying they'd be in touch regarding a telephone interview- what stage are you at now?

Hey there, congrats! I did a telephone interview around the 12th Aug which they told me I passed so now waiting for an AC. Apparently they should be around mid October but we will see
Original post by wajl
Hey there, congrats! I did a telephone interview around the 12th Aug which they told me I passed so now waiting for an AC. Apparently they should be around mid October but we will see

Oh wow congrats and whoa thats a long wait! Would you mind giving me some details about the telephone interview if you don't mind? Was it mainly standard competency questions or some technical ones too? Never really did the internship apps last year so haven't got much experience with interviews and a bit nervous!

Edit: also that numerical test was killer! I didn't finish and probably got a couple wrong too, but I'm guessing the pass rates lower since the difficulty is so much higher than the standard shl tests
(edited 9 years ago)
Rejected from KPMG after first round interview :frown:
Original post by Throwaway2521

There are other places - don't be disheartened - sure you'll be better prepared now for the next one you go for! Also if it makes you feel better I got rejected from kpmg too!

Oh no I'm sorry I'm sure something else will work out! What had you applied for?
Original post by Ksimmonds
There are other places - don't be disheartened - sure you'll be better prepared now for the next one you go for! Also if it makes you feel better I got rejected from kpmg too!

I feel your pain! But yeah, just got to keep moving forward. Where else have you applied?

Oh no I'm sorry I'm sure something else will work out! What had you applied for?

Thanks :frown: I had applied for the management consulting scheme.
Reply 146
Oh wow congrats and whoa thats a long wait! Would you mind giving me some details about the telephone interview if you don't mind? Was it mainly standard competency questions or some technical ones too? Never really did the internship apps last year so haven't got much experience with interviews and a bit nervous!

Edit: also that numerical test was killer! I didn't finish and probably got a couple wrong too, but I'm guessing the pass rates lower since the difficulty is so much higher than the standard shl tests

Yeah it is taking a while!

Telephone interview was about 45 mins and was probably one of the more friendly interviews that I've had, they really try hard to make you relax so don't worry too much.

I could try and remember what I was asked but it was over a month ago so would probably miss something and, as the questions for each interview are chosen from a bank there is no guarantee you would be asked the same thing.

A couple of tips for preparing:

- The interview is structured into 4 sections, one each for Resilience, Delivers Quality, Commercial Awareness and Career Motivation. The final competency (Makes an Impact) is assessed through your presentation style. You probably know this already but if you don't watch the vid at http://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/application-advice-telephone-interview#.VBWX8iNwaM8. For each of these try and have a couple of examples when you have demonstrated the competency to hand and be prepared to answer follow up questions.

- There are a few scenario questions where you will be given a situation and asked how you would react. I would recommend going onto Wikijob, where people have posted loads of KPMG tel int questions, and preparing for each of these questions (helped me a lot).

- Commercial awareness can be a challenge, make sure you can talk about companies that are doing well or not and what is driving their performance. Also have an idea of macro trends. There are no technical questions beyond this section, and even the ones here aren't really technical.

Hope this helps a bit!
For capgemini, does anyone know the difference between the management consulting programme and the business analytics programme? the website really doesn't offer any distinction: http://www.uk.capgemini.com/careers/your-career-path/management-consulting-graduate-programme

Also has anyone who's applied to Deloitte specifically for strategy consulting (Monitor) receive an online testing invite?
Reply 148
Original post by Hustler-1337
Hi guys,

I'm a Law graduate who graduated last year and am considering applying for consultancy/corporate finance/risk consulting and have a few questions.

1. Do they recruit throughout the year for immediate starts or do they start around September 2015?
2. Do you need to have work experience in the field (I have a legal work experience, but none which relate to finance)
3. Are you expected to have sound knowledge of your chosen line or are you trained up? If so, how much should you expect to get roughly as a salary?
4. Are the numerical tests difficult? (I have not done mathematics at A-Level)

Sorry for the 'noob' questions, but I'm seriously considering a career in this field and would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks!

Hi! I did a Law undergrade and just finished my Masters in Law. Like you I'm going for a career in consultancy rather than law. Only applied to 3 firms but from what I've seen so far the applications are much shorter and less time consuming than those for legal TC's. I only have legal work experience too and it doesn't seem to prevent my applications being progressed. I do find some of the numerical tests fairly difficult though!
Reply 149
Original post by skilldude22
For capgemini, does anyone know the difference between the management consulting programme and the business analytics programme? the website really doesn't offer any distinction: http://www.uk.capgemini.com/careers/your-career-path/management-consulting-graduate-programme

Also has anyone who's applied to Deloitte specifically for strategy consulting (Monitor) receive an online testing invite?

At Capgemini the Management Consulting programme is split into multiple capability teams, all under the umbrella of the CDC scheme. Business Analytics is one of those teams, so essentially it is just one of the several areas you can join as part of the Capgemini Management Consulting scheme. If you apply for the general management consultant role then you simply get placed into your capability team (the equivalent to Business Analytics) when you join. The reason they advertise Business Analytics separately is simply because the skill set required is quite specific and therefore the entry requirements are also a bit different (in that they particularly want candidates with strong analytical skill set - so mathematical degree etc). Other than that, no difference. The intake is the same, the programme is the same, the training is the same etc.
Reply 150
Re Skilldude22, I have applied to Monitor Deloitte last Thursday, haven't heard anything or received invitation for the online testing.
It sounds a bit stupid but what is MBB? Never heard of the abreviation before or I think never heard of the company.

With KPMG - I applied to the grad scheme last year, got to the AC and turned it down. Do I have to wait 12 months from that date or can I just apply because I technically wasn't rejected by them?
Original post by D12345678
It sounds a bit stupid but what is MBB? Never heard of the abreviation before or I think never heard of the company.

With KPMG - I applied to the grad scheme last year, got to the AC and turned it down. Do I have to wait 12 months from that date or can I just apply because I technically wasn't rejected by them?

Don't know about KPMG but MBB refers to the top 3 global strategy consulting firms - Mckinsey (M) , Bain (B) and The Boston Consulting Group (B) .
Anyone applied to BCG yet for full time? doesnt seem they have full time available only internships?

Charles
Been quiet around here. How are everyone's applications going?
Does anyone know when bcg close for summer associate and whether they recruit on rolling basis? Can't find this info on website.
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Been quiet around here. How are everyone's applications going?

Good for me- passed ibm assessment day! They've changed their process this year so waiting for a final interview now!
Good for me- passed ibm assessment day! They've changed their process this year so waiting for a final interview now!

Just realised, you're applying for graduate right? I applied for their summer internship, hence not heard back about assessment centre :P
Original post by Mustgetintoib
Just realised, you're applying for graduate right? I applied for their summer internship, hence not heard back about assessment centre :P
yea ! Good luck when is your assessment centrev
Reply 159

Congrats! No second assessment centre these days?

Quick Reply

Latest