The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I didn't actually think the result was bad, performance wise it was very encouraging for a lot of the game. But, zonal marking cost us. If we consistently play like this I think that we can go forward, if the defence steps up that is. I actually think that short of a world class cf such as Aguero, we match City these days in terms of a first team line up.
Original post by fallen_acorns
to be fair, if I could choose a chelsea signing to have at arsenal, it would be costa not cesc..

He was the player we desperatly needed..

What about matic?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TH3-FL45H
What about matic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

was going just off this window, but yes out of there squad, would take matic in a heartbeat
Also, I think with the addition of Welbeck we have gone from being mostly blunt up front to looking sharp a lot of the time now. Problem is, the top top teams have freaks like a Costa, Suarez, Aguero who can bail you out with one goal from one chance. There is very little to separate us from City/Chelsea now. I don't even think RVP could have helped us, I don't think he is actually that good these days, nor is Rooney. Aguero, Suarez, Costa and arguably Falcao (I have not seen much of him so cannot make a reasoned judgment) are the type of strikers to have in your team if you want to win the league. However, I think Mandzukic would have been an amazing signing for us.
Totally irrelevant but Fulham could get relegated from championship uno come end of the season.... As you were.
if liverpool drop points here, even a draw, then its looking so open for chelsea..

Liverpool: 6-7
Arsenal: 6
City: 7

All looks pretty ok..

But then:

Chelsea: 12.

hmm...

really need a city win next week to bring it to (presuming an arsenal + liverpool win)

Chelsea: 12
City: 10
Liverpool: 9/10
Arsenal: 9

Looks much better..
We really have to beat Villa and the Potatoes in the next few weeks.

I can't see us beating Chelsea. Again.

Is it just me who got annoyed by the picture of everyone in the changing room with Samuel L Jackson?
Original post by Tom_Ford
I think Mandzukic would have been an amazing signing for us.

Mandzu made no sense at the time when we had fully fit Giroud. They're very similar players but Giroud has the advantage of 2 years Prem experience with a proven league record and is perfectly suited to our style. I don't think he would have added anything extra tbh
Interesting question no one has raised is how are we going to line up when Theo is fully fit.
Reply 8729
Original post by sevchenko
Interesting question no one has raised is how are we going to line up when Theo is fully fit.

he's not a CAM. dont expect to see him anywhere near the starting 11 #wengerknows
Quite simple:

Ramsey/Wilshere----Arteta
Walcott--Ozil---Alexis
Dat Guy Welbz
Original post by angelfox
Quite simple:

Ramsey/Wilshere----Arteta
Walcott--Ozil---Alexis
Dat Guy Welbz

Not really simple when Wenger is insistent in 4-1-4-1

You'd like to think he'll change it. Ozil will have a word with him.

Theo's one of Wenger's golden boys as well. Unless Wenger plays Alexis/Theo as the striker.
(edited 9 years ago)

Hardly.

Szczesny
Chambers - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Gibbs
Arteta/Flamini
Walcott - Ramsey/Wilshere - Ozil/Wilshere - Sanchez
Welbeck
Original post by Arkasia
Hardly.

Szczesny
Chambers - Mertesacker - Koscielny - Gibbs
Arteta/Flamini
Walcott - Ramsey/Wilshere - Ozil/Wilshere - Sanchez
Welbeck

Ozil B2B Central midfielder? Ok. I've said many times the formation doesn't work with Ozil in the 11
I think Ozil would be better on the right personally (he likes to cut in with his left foot), or even better still, in his natural no.10 position.
When did we start doing player formations with the keeper at the top and striker at the bottom? it just looks wrong.
liverpool loosing has taken this from an average day into a good one..

Happy with that.

Same points at them, but they have lost half their games, whilst we are un-beaten..
Think certain parts of our support are overreacting in negativity. Imo, we have a pretty damn good team. Not enough to win the league really, but I think we could win another FA Cup this season and put together a better CL run. However, if Welbeck improves, I really think we can challenge for the league. The season rests on him and the defence not ****ing up. We will always create chances because we are Arsenal.
Reply 8739

I've been thinking that Arsene is using Ozil on the left until Walcott returns. If we look at Ramsey & Wilshere, there were periods in their development when Arsene played them on the wings. They were absolutely terrible, but they did improve physically and are now able to burst forwards from the centre - something that Ozil lacks.

I think Ozil will be moved back to the centre when Walcott returns, but that begs the question, who is dropped? Arsene will not drop Ozil, there's no way.

No one is taking walcotts RW. I just hope he moves Alexis left - so maybe Ozil & Ramsey centrally?

^^ That's assuming Wenger will stick to 4-1-4-1
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest