The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AliRizzo
I decided not to take you seriously once you said Ozil isn't a great player. You either do not watch football or do not appreciate the beautiful game. Also, incredibly, you managed to contradict yourself in the same paragraph. How can you say Ozil's game needs a fast player then say he isn't that great anyway after admitting Giroud is not the type of player he can play with?

I agree Ozil hasn't been playing great though. Mainly due to him being played out of position and when he is played in position he doesn't have much options. Welbeck will flourish if Ozil is given the chance to play behind him, and as long his finishing skills improve, guaranteed.

Ozil isn't that great a player...

Great players should be able to adapt and not be a liability in every big game they play in(even at Madrid he was a liability in big games to the point that Di Maria had to play as an AM at times like vs Bayern) Great players should also be able to play in various tactics and various systems and be able to be good at it. The top players like Hazard, Robben, Ribery, Bale, Ronaldo, Messi(for Argentina) have played in games where their game is not suited to yet they have shown that they can still show a spark. Ozil doesn't show that at all in fact he shows the exact opposite(see Bayern game at Emirates)

Ozil hasn't been playing great for 8 months and he wasn't playing out of position last season for Arsenal so don't get where you got that from... He has options in Sanchez, Walcott, Chamberlain who suit his game. Last season he had Ramsey and Chamberlain who suited his game...
Original post by AnharM
Nah Jam man, you're wrong here. Sanchez is a top player, no doubt about it. I just felt Arsenal relied on Sanchez too much today, most of their attacks sprung from Sanchez, especially those little dribbles from him, he looked dangerous. Ozil is nowhere to be seen at the moment, a shadow of a player from the 2010 World Cup and when he was at Real Madrid. Wenger NEEDS to play Ozil as an central AM, not out wide. He needs to support Sanchez more.

Yes, I did not say that this was not the case. If you read what I said earlier today and not jumped to conclusions I was saying what is the point of winning a free kick that you're then going to essentially gift back to the opposition with an atrocious ball into the box?

The thing with Chelsea is that, when things aren't going our way, Hazard will suddenly come alive and make a quick dribble past 2-3 players and suddenly the momentum is with Chelsea's. And then players like Fabregas turn up, and Costa turns up to finish the moves off. Arsenal don't have that killer switch, that can suddenly the momentum towards them. Sanchez is their best bet for that, but he's certainly no Hazard when it comes to dribbling and producing a goal-scoring chance out of nothing.

Yes, I am probably comparing Sanchez to Hazard which is harsh but Arsenal want to win titles, their best AMs and wingers should be as good as the top teams best AMs and wingers and in other positions, if not then Arsenal have to spend a bit of money. If they don't have a guy who's capable of changing a game round as well as the other top teams then they need to get one...
Original post by jam278
Yes, I did not say that this was not the case. If you read what I said earlier today and not jumped to conclusions I was saying what is the point of winning a free kick that you're then going to essentially gift back to the opposition with an atrocious ball into the box?

Yes, I am probably comparing Sanchez to Hazard which is harsh but Arsenal want to win titles, their best AMs and wingers should be as good as the top teams best AMs and wingers and in other positions, if not then Arsenal have to spend a bit of money. If they don't have a guy who's capable of changing a game round as well as the other top teams then they need to get one...

Being too harsh imo. It's obvious Hazard is better than Sanchez, so there shouldn't be comparisons made. What is more evident is Arsenal's style of play, they're playing like Chelsea did last season. Way too many passes around the box and no real penetration, no real killer through ball made. Hazard ultimately bailed us out last season with his goals and assists. Hazard is clearly worth £60m right now I'd say.
Original post by jam278

Great players should be able to adapt and not be a liability in every big game they play in(even at Madrid he was a liability in big games to the point that Di Maria had to play as an AM at times like vs Bayern) Great players should also be able to play in various tactics and various systems and be able to be good at it. The top players like Hazard, Robben, Ribery, Bale, Ronaldo, Messi(for Argentina) have played in games where their game is not suited to yet they have shown that they can still show a spark. Ozil doesn't show that at all in fact he shows the exact opposite(see Bayern game at Emirates)

Ozil hasn't been playing great for 8 months and he wasn't playing out of position last season for Arsenal so don't get where you got that from... He has options in Sanchez, Walcott, Chamberlain who suit his game. Last season he had Ramsey and Chamberlain who suited his game...

Hazard? Don't mention his name in the same paragraph as Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Robben please. Also he is not a top player. Barely turned up in the CL knockout stages last season (apart from a penalty in Paris) and was completely anonymous for Belgium at the WC.

Firstly and most importantly Ozil has been playing LW ever since Bayern (A), so invalid statement from you. Walcott has been out since Jan 2014 and Chamberlain very rarely plays, and when he does he tends to play CM. And ever since Sanchez has been at the club Ozil has not played CAM once, so again invalid.

Ozil is NOT a liability. And please don't even try and say he doesn't 'track back' it's incredibly silly and is a term used by people who watch highlights on MOTD and like to think they know stuff, and in fact Ozil has been Arsenal's most creative outlet over the past 12 months.
Original post by AnharM
Being too harsh imo. It's obvious Hazard is better than Sanchez, so there shouldn't be comparisons made. What is more evident is Arsenal's style of play, they're playing like Chelsea did last season. Way too many passes around the box and no real penetration, no real killer through ball made. Hazard ultimately bailed us out last season with his goals and assists. Hazard is clearly worth £60m right now I'd say.

Typical Chelsea fans. What has Hazard done to warrant a 60m price tag? Failed in the CL knockout stages, anonymous in the WC and had a very poor scoring record last season, considering he scored a lot of penalties whilst Lampard didn't play. Yet he's the same price as Di Maria (who is also overpriced)?
Typical Chelsea fans. What has Hazard done to warrant a 60m price tag? Failed in the CL knockout stages, anonymous in the WC and had a very poor scoring record last season, considering he scored a lot of penalties whilst Lampard didn't play. Yet he's the same price as Di Maria (who is also overpriced)?

Looool, he is worth it BASED on Di Maria's price tag. Realistically he's worth £40m, but obviously in this market, he's worth £45m.

As with your other comments, 17 goals last season, don't know how many assists, created THE MOST GOAL-SCORING CHANCES I heard, made the most successful dribbles in Europe I believe, at the age of 23? You think that **** comes easy? Scored a LOT of penalties, I bet he didn't even score 5 penalties.

As for the World Cup...his first World Cup, he's still really young, and he didn't play well, so what? Ronaldo didn't play well as well. His price tag is based more on his club form, than a international tournament that comes around every 4 years. He did make a couple of assists in Brazil as well I believe.

And the CL Knockouts, how the hell did he flop? Against a very organised Atletico side? Any attacking winger would struggle against Atletico, top players always struggle against Atletico. Messi struggled, so did Ronaldo in the CL Final.
Reply 8786
Original post by jam278

Silva and Mata can't exactly adapt either, and I'd say both are great players. Not saying Ozil is or isn't, but you don't need to be flexible to be great.

Think I mentioned it before, but Hazard ran the show today btw.
Ozil will come good imo.
Arsenal did well yesterday, it's progress that you didn't get beat after how you performed against the top teams last season. They could have nicked it in the end but overall draw was fair result. Wilshere did well for his goal but as I dislike him as a person, I'd much prefer Ramsey to do better this season as he's just so much more likable.

Despite the good performance, I saw earlier in the thread that a CDM will make Arsenal title winners and I have to say I think that's a very strange comment. Has anyone seen the Chelsea and City squad currently? Depth is unreal. If Arsenal want to seriously challenge for the title, they need a 30 a season world class striker, another CB, a DM and another defender to cover for Gibbs/Debuchy. That is realistically where it needs to be.

We will see. Decent game for Arsenal for sure but still far off IMO. The first 3 games of this season, Arsenal have been poor. Then again Liverpool were woeful yesterday. Gonna be real tight for top 4 this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hazard? Don't mention his name in the same paragraph as Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Robben please. Also he is not a top player. Barely turned up in the CL knockout stages last season (apart from a penalty in Paris) and was completely anonymous for Belgium at the WC.

Firstly and most importantly Ozil has been playing LW ever since Bayern (A), so invalid statement from you. Walcott has been out since Jan 2014 and Chamberlain very rarely plays, and when he does he tends to play CM. And ever since Sanchez has been at the club Ozil has not played CAM once, so again invalid.

Ozil is NOT a liability. And please don't even try and say he doesn't 'track back' it's incredibly silly and is a term used by people who watch highlights on MOTD and like to think they know stuff, and in fact Ozil has been Arsenal's most creative outlet over the past 12 months.

No he hasn't been playing LW since Bayern away. You do not watch Ozil. He played LW for the world cup and this season, but for pretty much whole of last season he was playing as the AM. Talk about Hazard not turning up in the CL knockout stages when he was injured for pretty much the quarter final onwards. Despite scoring vs Liverpool, destroying Arsenal, getting MOTM vs City away and being our top goalscorer in the league last season he's not in the same league.

Let me guess Ronaldo is **** because he did **** all in the world cup then? Belgium players all were terrible the world cup. So is Diego Costa a bad player because he wasn't good in the world cup then despite him tearing the league a new one?

Ozil doesn't track back simple as, I watch him live for most of the time, I've seen Ozil do many **** performances like the one yesterday, against City and Liverpool assisting the opposition 5 times in total despite being "the best no.10 in the world"
Original post by samba
Silva and Mata can't exactly adapt either, and I'd say both are great players. Not saying Ozil is or isn't, but you don't need to be flexible to be great.

Think I mentioned it before, but Hazard ran the show today btw.

Silva can adapt. Mata to an extent is still a good creative outlet(e.g. playing on LW in 2012) but Mata is a bit suspect defensively, Mata still has shown that as a left winger he is a top player and has played in a park bus counter attacking style before(vs Barcelona) while being great at possession. He's decent at tracking back but not Mourinho decent which lets be honest is more than most managers. Silva is a beast, Mata gets the numbers but Silva manipulates the ball in a way that's second to only Iniesta. Mata obviously effects the game more directly.

Hazard did run the show, amazing player we have here.
Original post by hayles101
Arsenal did well yesterday, it's progress that you didn't get beat after how you performed against the top teams last season.
Posted from TSR Mobile

What with a 1-1 draw vs City last season at the exact same fixture?

Original post by AnharM

And the CL Knockouts, how the hell did he flop? Against a very organised Atletico side? Any attacking winger would struggle against Atletico, top players always struggle against Atletico. Messi struggled, so did Ronaldo in the CL Final.

He flopped by being injured during the PSG game and being rushed back to fitness vs Atlético and despite that Atlético game still being our best attacking threat that game despite being unfit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
What with a 1-1 draw vs City last season at the exact same fixture?

Meh, all the top 6 games I remember last season that Arsenal played in involved them getting battered 3-0, 5-1 etc so in my mind that would mean yesterday was a positive, even at home.

As I said though in my last post, think they looked decent yesterday but then have been bad in the other 3 games. So think they're way off competing
Original post by hayles101
Meh, all the top 6 games I remember last season that Arsenal played in involved them getting battered 3-0, 5-1 etc so in my mind that would mean yesterday was a positive, even at home.

As I said though in my last post, think they looked decent yesterday but then have been bad in the other 3 games. So think they're way off competing

Yeah, they haven't lost at the emirates since the Villa defeat at the start of last season. Their home record is pretty on point although not great vs big teams. 1-1 vs City, 0-0 vs Chelsea, 2-0 vs Liverpool, 1-0 vs Spurs, 1-1 vs Everton and 0-0 vs United.

Yeah they looked decent yday. But I think they have enough to secure 4th. Injuries withstanding. Also Liverpool cocked up so badly as they should have just used their first team and stay in the title race. If Chelsea win vs City then it's title race over tbh. Wasn't impressed with them, if we play them if they're like that it'll be an easy 3-1 victory but they didn't have Yaya Toure or Fernando.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8793
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154634098050707&id=809150706

Whhhaaaaaaaattttt Nasri looked like a little bitch haha

Edit: ignore, I don't think the link works =_=
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8794
Original post by jam278

Silva can adapt. Mata to an extent is still a good creative outlet(e.g. playing on LW in 2012) but Mata is a bit suspect defensively, Mata still has shown that as a left winger he is a top player and has played in a park bus counter attacking style before(vs Barcelona) while being great at possession. He's decent at tracking back but not Mourinho decent which lets be honest is more than most managers. Silva is a beast, Mata gets the numbers but Silva manipulates the ball in a way that's second to only Iniesta. Mata obviously effects the game more directly.

Hazard did run the show, amazing player we have here.

Neither of them can do anything other than play that 'AM role without defensive duties' tbh. Silva is just :coma: but he can't defend for **** either. Doubt mourinho would put up with him

So ****ing wrong about costa :| Although, at least I can say I told you so on markovic.
Original post by samba
Neither of them can do anything other than play that 'AM role without defensive duties' tbh. Silva is just :coma: but he can't defend for **** either. Doubt mourinho would put up with him

So ****ing wrong about costa :| Although, at least I can say I told you so on markovic.

Yeah, Silva is decent at defending but Mourinho levels he'd probably be shown the door too. Heck look at how Schurrle got taken off at half time.

Minor we all make mistakes lol(man markovic was terrible, looks like he needs a season or two). I didn't see the point of paying 20M extra for Cavani when a guy like Costa was only 32M. Atlético won't even mind though, was a good deal for both parties considering we loaned our keeper to them and bought a 28 yr old fullback for 20M.
Reply 8798
Anyway. Anyone who says Ozil tracks back defensively enough and was played out of position last season, clearly is watching the wrong sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Anyway. Anyone who says Ozil tracks back defensively enough and was played out of position last season, clearly is watching the wrong sport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:

i have been successfully trolled by somebody kudos to him for stringing out such a long convo out of me

Latest