The Student Room Group

Advice from previous Year 11's to upcoming Year 11's

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tj789
But my point still stands then, although your results are really good if you want to get into medicine and want exceptional results you should start revising early on.

Yeah, I just wanted the results I needed, and tbh I did better than I expected

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 361
Original post by Andy98
Yeah, I just wanted the results I needed, and tbh I did better than I expected

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratz to you then, but it really depends on what you want at the end of the day and then you should base that on the amount of work you put in.
Original post by Tj789
Congratz to you then, but it really depends on what you want at the end of the day and then you should base that on the amount of work you put in.

Yup, although now I kinda wanna get into rap

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 363
Original post by Andy98
Yup, although now I kinda wanna get into rap

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hope it all goes well for you :smile:
Original post by Tj789
Hope it all goes well for you :smile:

Yeah, What've you been doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 365
Original post by Andy98
Yeah, What've you been doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Started sixth form recently doing A levels History, English lit, Biology and Sociology....I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT! Don't like the sixth form, dont like the jump from gcse to a level and dont like anything about it :/
Original post by Tj789
Started sixth form recently doing A levels History, English lit, Biology and Sociology....I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT! Don't like the sixth form, dont like the jump from gcse to a level and dont like anything about it :/

Yeahhhh, they were my bad ones - I'm doing further maths, physics and computing - absolutely loving it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 367
Original post by Andy98
Yeahhhh, they were my bad ones - I'm doing further maths, physics and computing - absolutely loving it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im glad someone is, only 3 a levels? You should do music along side seeing as you're interested in rap
Original post by Tj789
Im glad someone is, only 3 a levels? You should do music along side seeing as you're interested in rap

The further maths counted as two, and they wouldn't let me do an a level in music as I had never done a GCSE in it. Otherwise I might've done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 369
Original post by Andy98
The further maths counted as two, and they wouldn't let me do an a level in music as I had never done a GCSE in it. Otherwise I might've done

Posted from TSR Mobile

Id recommend started a Youtube channel for your rap...it can really take you places
Original post by Tj789
Id recommend started a Youtube channel for your rap...it can really take you places

Yup, I'm going to start recording next week, so it'll be up soon:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 371
advice on learning the geography case studies? apparently I have to remember 16 of them!!!
thankyou :smile:
Original post by maary
advice on learning the geography case studies? apparently I have to remember 16 of them!!!
thankyou :smile:

just stuff them in your brain :P ... what board are you doing btw?
what i do is summarise it into key facts and statistics and just learn those
good luck :smile:
ADVICE: hard work pays off and gcses are very important so take them seriously. Get the coursework and CA right as they are easy marks that can bring you the top grades.
Original post by celiag123
I've just left year 11 and I'm going on to do A-levels.

1) How was year 11 for you?
Year 11 was overall a pretty good year. Some parts were extremely tiring, especially long nights of revision, I will admit that! Other parts were exciting as I really got to develop my knowledge further. However, it was emotional due to the fact that the time had come that we were all going our separate ways and secondary school was over. Furthermore, it was extremely stressful for myself trying to figure out my next steps after year 11.

2) How many exams did you sit?

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?

- Start thinking of your future plans early, attend careers meetings, conventions and open events so you know what career you wish to pursue and the best way to get there plus, what feels right for you!

- Take any mocks that you have seriously as if they are the real thing. Revise for them, get the correct equipment. It gives you brilliant practice for the real thing and you can really get to know your best revision styles and how you remember things the best. Furthermore, you will refresh your brain on what you've learnt already.

-Take notes in your lessons and make sure they're clear as you will most likely have to refer back to them during revision.
(Highlighting important things, words, titles etc in my textbook really helped me)

- Try to go over everything when revising, at the time it my seem minor and you may think that it won't come up but it's happened to me, there was a whole page on the most smallest topic ever and I had to wing my way through it, it wasn't a good experience ahaha.

- Make a revision list/timetable to plan out what you've got to revise.

- Appreciate the time you have at school with all of your friends because it does go past fast.

- After an exam, try to leave it in the hall. Everyone will speak about how they feel. If you found it hard and people say they found it easy, there's no need to stress yourself out about it because you won't know until results day. I spent my summer believing I'd failed maths because I found the exams challenging however, I was pleasantly surprised on results day! So anything can happen, just try not to think about it as much!

- When you feel like you don't have the motivation to revise just remember if you ace it this time you'll never have to do your GCSEs again! Plus, think of the long summer of freedom you have ahead of you. (We had nearly 4 months!!

- Attend after school sessions or catch up sessions for coursework it really helps!

- Most of all be happy and healthy :smile::smile::smile::smile:

I took: English lit and lang, maths, media studies, resistant materials, double award science and religious studies so if you need to ask any questions about those subjects I'd be happy to help!!:smile: Best of luck!!

Is it true that your additional grade becomes your core grade even if you got lower on core? My science teacher said we just had to get a 'C' to unlock the double award and that we get two identical grades at the end
Original post by Emilypickett
Is it true that your additional grade becomes your core grade even if you got lower on core? My science teacher said we just had to get a 'C' to unlock the double award and that we get two identical grades at the end

Is this science? Afraid I don't know the answer because I did triple.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I'm in Year 10 moving on up to Year 11 so I'll answer these questions.

1) What GCSE's are you taking?
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
Triple Science
Spanish
GCSE PE
Drama
History

2) What are your expectations of year 11?
I'm expecting it to be quite stressful, and for there to be quite a lot of work, but I'm planning on being prepared as I can, and I'm going to go over the year 10 topics just to try make sure I have some good notes to revise off. I'm not sure what I want to take for A-Levels though so when we get asked about things like that I'm going to find it quite stressful, because my school doesn't have the course I want to take but I don't want to leave the school.

3) Are you looking forward to year 11?
I really am, just because I always look forward to the next year of school. Even though it will be all the same people as before, I like that I have a chance to renew my attitude towards school work and although I say this every year, I'm hoping to really knuckle down, listen in class, do my homework etc. so I won't need that much revision before my exams. Hopefully it's going to be a good year!

I have a question for past year 11s, what did you use to help keep your work and notes organised and how? Is there anything you'd recommend doing?
1) How was year 11 for you?
I was more stressed before I started my exams than when I was actually doing them, I was pretty chilled out around exam time!! Year 11 was very busy with coursework from several subjects at once however I did enjoy it. Because you're the oldest in the school you also get away with more and have more respect from teachers so I thought it was my best year so far!!

2) How many exams did you sit?
In total, I sat around 27 :frown:

3) What advice will you like to give to the upcoming year 11s?
Make sure you put 110% into your coursework because it can make the difference between a higher grade or several lower. Also start revising around Easter time like I did so you can cover everything and make sure you do recover EVERYTHING needed for a certain exam at least three days before it and on the day too. I recommend making flash cards because you revise when making them and they're so easy to go over again and again so information sinks in!!!
The best advice is really not to be too bothered about what you get in the subjects you're not taking for A level, or if you are looking into medicine. Otherwise don't work yourself too much just yet, GCSES arent worth it.
Original post by kate37
So I'm in Year 10 moving on up to Year 11 so I'll answer these questions.

1) What GCSE's are you taking?
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
Triple Science
Spanish
GCSE PE
Drama
History

2) What are your expectations of year 11?
I'm expecting it to be quite stressful, and for there to be quite a lot of work, but I'm planning on being prepared as I can, and I'm going to go over the year 10 topics just to try make sure I have some good notes to revise off. I'm not sure what I want to take for A-Levels though so when we get asked about things like that I'm going to find it quite stressful, because my school doesn't have the course I want to take but I don't want to leave the school.

3) Are you looking forward to year 11?
I really am, just because I always look forward to the next year of school. Even though it will be all the same people as before, I like that I have a chance to renew my attitude towards school work and although I say this every year, I'm hoping to really knuckle down, listen in class, do my homework etc. so I won't need that much revision before my exams. Hopefully it's going to be a good year!

I have a question for past year 11s, what did you use to help keep your work and notes organised and how? Is there anything you'd recommend doing?

Having a notebook for each revision subject is good. Maybe have different colours for sticky notes. So pink for science, yellow for english etc. Sorry for the late reply!

Quick Reply

Latest