The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Official Durham Fresher's Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NebulousBlue
It occasionally get's recognised but more often than not people have a go at imitating it :biggrin:

You sort of don't realise how strange it sounds until you spend some time around a bunch of southerners when you start to become a bit self-concious of it but you get used to it (it's an invite to tease them for their funny accents) :smile:

I think I'd probably recognise it, I'm fairly decent with accents.

Yeah, I went to a summer school in the south and everyone noticed my accent and guessed where I was from but to me it was strange because I can also hear the Mancunian accent so I didn't think I had one. I am a bit concious of my accent now! :laugh:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by Lady_L
Are you reading Chinese? Turns out I'm now at Castle College instead though...

Oh, did you want to change colleges or was there no choice?
Yep i'm reading Chinese too :smile: Not many of us I think!
I'm at Butler for Biological sciences! ^^ anyone from Butler had their room allocations? Also more generally - anyone managed to get onto the uni email?
For the Uni email, you can do that on your duo profile or go to the university website and head to the CIS section
Reply 244
Anybody looking forward to the freshers ball? just announce professor green and huw stephens!
Original post by OreAdesoye
For the Uni email, you can do that on your duo profile or go to the university website and head to the CIS section

Thanks! I tried a couple of weeks ago but not sure if my password had updated properly - I'll give it another go when duo comes back from maintenance ^^
Has anyone received anything from Collingwood? I remember my sister getting a pack through the post but I haven't received anything. Is it all done online now?
Original post by JosephT
Has anyone received anything from Collingwood? I remember my sister getting a pack through the post but I haven't received anything. Is it all done online now?

They aren't sending anything out in the post this year. Have a look here:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/collingwood/welcome/newundergraduates/

There's a lot of stuff to complete (if you haven't done so already).
Hey, I'm doing natural sciences (chem and physics) at Trevelyan. Just got modules approved by director and he gave me my preliminary timetable. I've picked the joint honours route and it seems to be pretty packed, does anyone have any idea how many hours natsci is on average.
Original post by nins285
Hi I'm at St Mary's and I was wondering when we find out about which room/building/corridor we have been given? Or if we simply find out on the day we arrive?

We find out day we arrive, unless you have a roommate then you get told a week earlier who it is :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, ill be studying physics at Butler. I've already done my foundation year (which is technically year 0) hence why this is my "second" freshers week. So I know my way around the uni and Butler, as well as most of the freps (that sounded wrong), so if anyone has any questions now about Butler or they want to say hi when they arrive, feel free. I'm 26 so I should be fairly recognisable lol, having said that I posses the mental age of a 12 year old.

Butler is actually a great college for freshers, you have a flat with 6 of you together so you all essentially stick together for a little while until/if you meet people who you have more in common with (which happens quickly), so you dont need to worry about walking around alone or not having anyone to chat to. It's all a little awkward until everyone goes on a bar crawl and gets blind drunk, the next day you'll wake up, know everyone in college and will be more worried about the hangover than how popular you are.
Reply 251
It's my first night in Durham guys! :awesome: So excited to be here! :party:
Does anyone know when and where the Castle Freshers' Fair will be held?

And is a white shirt absolutely necessary for matriculation or will a black dress serve?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest