The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
People blaming formations but it's more to do with the players - we were missing Sturridge and Sterling.

Rodgers a bit naive in thinking so many new players would adjust so quickly. There was no need to rest Sterling imo. Villa were always going to be tough if they scored the first goal.

We saw time and time last season that so long as we scored the first goal, we could demolish teams by counter/holding the ball or using the space. Whenever we goal behind, we struggle to break down compact teams.

I agree - we obviously didn't have the right formation, but with a player performance like that we would've still lost, diamond or not.

Exactly, our record at coming from behind is almost laughable.
So as a fan it's extremely distressing watching a game where we go behind, especially so cheaply.
The statistics speak for themselves.
I don't think Costa in their system is/will prove to be as good as Suarez was in our system, I can't see him breaking the record. 20+ is almost inevitable but 32 is pushing it. I think 25ish. I predicted him to be a huge success for Chelsea but didn't think he'd be this ****ing good.

Anyway one season both Aguero and Rooney were on like 9 goals after 5 games, and no records were broken then...
The amount of people that said Costa would flop. :rofl2:
The issue I see is a lack of a pace.

Balotelli, although capable of the absolute sublime, is too pedestrian and lethargic. He doesn't shift the ball as quick as Sturridge/Sterling/Coutinho, so play slows down when it gets to him. We were massively under-par and weakened yesterday. Lallana is clearly nowhere near full fitness but Markovic impressed me. It was one of those days - I'm not too concerned. Villa rode their luck for the majority.
Original post by CB91
The amount of people that said Costa would flop. :rofl2:

not gonna lie, i was one of those people.
i didn't outright say it categorically but i didn't think he'd be anywhere near this good this fast.

chelsea will falter as every team does, but as i said before the season start, i don't see anybody beating them to the title.

Original post by Mackay
The issue I see is a lack of a pace.

It was one of those days - I'm not too concerned. Villa rode their luck for the majority.

i agree - our lack of pace was frustratingly evident.
but not even in the sense of running speed, our passing was slow and sideways; we were just way too predictable.
i knew exactly where our players were gonna pass, and with villa as disciplined as they were defensively, they barely had any problems.

they were lucky at times and it was just one of those days as you say, but we gotta hold our hands up and admit we deserved nothing.
although getting down about it is stupid - we lost 1-0 to soton at anfield early last season and even city lost 1-0 to stoke at the etihad a few weeks back.
not the end of the world.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lol QPR miss an open goal, they are so bad.
Original post by samir12
Lol QPR miss an open goal, they are so bad.

any half-decent striker is scoring that goal.
they're getting relegated bottom...

united couldn't have hoped for an easier game.
might even go as far to say we would've beaten them playing as badly as we did yesterday.

lol, 3-0 now
too easy.
Original post by Mackay
It was one of those days - I'm not too concerned. Villa rode their luck for the majority.

We had 1 shot on target

They came with a gameplan and we were too **** to get through it

Don't make it like they got lucky and we were cheated by fate or something, we were ****ing ****, partly because of them being so excellent. Villa didn't 'ride their luck' AT ALL
Original post by yaboy Kanye

We had 1 shot on target

They came with a gameplan and we were too **** to get through it

Don't make it like they got lucky and we were cheated by fate or something, we were ****ing ****, partly because of them being so excellent. Villa didn't 'ride their luck' AT ALL

With no target man as an outlet they didn't create anything, though. On another day Coutinho's shot would have nestled in and Henderson may have not got in the way of Sterling's rebound.

I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to Villa. They played well and stuck to their game plan.
Also, Borini really has no future at LFC. He should have gone and got first-team football when he had the chance.
West Ham will most likely do the same thing as Villa, get a goal from set piece and park the bus. Rodgers has to anticipate that, hopefully he will drop the passing sideways nonsense we have been doing. Don't think West Ham are as solid as Villa are in defence so we should be able to break them down. (Provided we get our **** together)

Don't have a clue how Ludogorets will play, if their manager watched the game yesterday they will probably do the same ! :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
With no target man as an outlet they didn't create anything, though. On another day Coutinho's shot would have nestled in and Henderson may have not got in the way of Sterling's rebound.

I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to Villa. They played well and stuck to their game plan.

They got their goal and could/should have scored two more from set pieces.

We didn't manage a shot on target after they scored. (in the 8th/11th minute, whatever it was ffs)

Yer tbh I don't really care if you are disrespectful to them or not, it's just that saying they 'rode their luck' is just plain wrong. We did nowhere near enough to win the game and even a draw would have been a bit ****ty for them.
Original post by samir12
West Ham will most likely do the same thing as Villa, get a goal from set piece and park the bus. Rodgers has to anticipate that, hopefully he will drop the passing sideways nonsense we have been doing. Don't think West Ham are as solid as Villa are in defence so we should be able to break them down. (Provided we get our **** together)

West Ham have next to no creativity. If we fail to get three points off them I give up.
Original post by Mackay
West Ham have next to no creativity. If we fail to get three points off them I give up.

Teams don't need creativity to score against us, they just need ****ing set pieces...
Original post by samir12
Teams don't need creativity to score against us, they just need ****ing set pieces...

Or individual errors. Or both.
Don't think we're any worse at set pieces than most teams in the league? Think that myth was debunked by stats.

What WOULD help though is if we scored from set pieces as often as we did last year...
Original post by yaboy Kanye
Don't think we're any worse at set pieces than most teams in the league? Think that myth was debunked by stats.

What WOULD help though is if we scored from set pieces as often as we did last year...

Skirtle was our main threat from set pieces last season, but he's injured. Our set pieces were **** yesterday , Villa were having a field day with them.

United got their first goal from a quality set piece delivery today that opened up the bus for them, we were lacking that quality set piece delivery.
(edited 9 years ago)
Tbh there will always be the odd result which wasn't expected. You can drop around 40 points and still finish top 4.

The great thing is that we can look forward to Tuesday for our first champions league game for years!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I was just really frustrated how Liverpool played, I wanted to see the fast attacking football we normally play but we started off slow and it turned into a borefest, I didn't wait two weeks to watch that ****. Here's hoping Tuesday will bring back that excitement.

I just read that Markovic is actually suspended for the Ludogorets game, makes a little more sense that Rodgers wanted to rest Sterling.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest