The Student Room Group

Is this too much? Is this going to ruin me?

014-2015:

IGCSE:
Maths,English Lit&Lan, Biology,Human Biology,Chemistry,Latin French,Dutch,Computer Science/Studies,Commerce( CIE O Level)& Travel and Tourism
GCSE: Psychology
FMSQ Maths
A Level Law or Citizenship ( They seem fun tbh imo, might not be for me, if they're not/ too much i'll drop )
BTEC L2 Sport ( at College)

( i'm also going to be doing arts awards,etc)

Then (hopefully) 2015-2017:

A Levels Biology,Chemistry,Psychology (& maybe Maths or English alongside thise- or just those three bc there's going to be no as&a2 anymore?, just straight A-Levels?)

Btw i'm Year 12 age and was supposed to take some exams this summer season just gone but... I didn't & I was homeschooled
I think I might be able to cope with the workload, idk..

I'm wondering taking a Citizenship or Law as is going to ruin me in the long run( because they're seen as weak subjects, maybe not to much law but citizenship is)? Also at the fact i'm Year12 age taking soft a level subject alongside (I)GCSE's ?
& i'm not trying to 'brag' btw ( nothing to really brag about anyway even if I got all A* in everything because i'm doing everything a year later (: ) I've seen that said ALOT to people on here....

Thanks...
Hi elmosandy,
This is definitely not too much.
However, what if you rethink your study technique?
Honestly, it's nice to fill up one's CV but we always pay a price for sth.

Therefore, an efficient study technique is really what I advice you to still enjoy your life :smile:
With some techniques you can finish a semester's worth in just a couple of weeks.
So again, no, it's not too much.
Reply 2
Original post by GetFastMemory
Hi elmosandy,
This is definitely not too much.
However, what if you rethink your study technique?
Honestly, it's nice to fill up one's CV but we always pay a price for sth.

Therefore, an efficient study technique is really what I advice you to still enjoy your life :smile:
With some techniques you can finish a semester's worth in just a couple of weeks.
So again, no, it's not too much.

Its not even about my CV but yeah I just wanted to do them..
& I'll still have some sort of social life..
That's why I went to do BTEC Lv2 @ College:smile: x
Original post by elmosandy
014-2015:

IGCSE:
Maths,English Lit&Lan, Biology,Human Biology,Chemistry,Latin French,Dutch,Computer Science/Studies,Commerce( CIE O Level)& Travel and Tourism
GCSE: Psychology
FMSQ Maths
A Level Law or Citizenship ( They seem fun tbh imo, might not be for me, if they're not/ too much i'll drop )
BTEC L2 Sport ( at College)

( i'm also going to be doing arts awards,etc)

Then (hopefully) 2015-2017:

A Levels Biology,Chemistry,Psychology (& maybe Maths or English alongside thise- or just those three bc there's going to be no as&a2 anymore?, just straight A-Levels?)

You might want to drop some of those IGCSEs (Human Bio, Travel and Tourism) because they don't look like they're going to benefit you in the long run and will likely just take up time. Also, three languages might be a bit much unless you're already relatively good at one or two of them.
There doesn't seem to be any point doing A-level Law or Citizenship either (especially not the latter) as they'll probably just distract you and neither are likely to help you out much in the future. They're certainly not worth risking poor GCSE grades over. As somebody who did two AS levels (French and English Lit) alongside GCSEs, I can tell you that it can be really distracting and I'm pretty sure my GCSE grades that year suffered because of the A-levels.
I can't say that you'll do badly, you might ace all of the exams, but you've got a better chance of doing well if you cut down on the unnecessary subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by bluebeetle
You might want to drop some of those IGCSEs (Human Bio, Travel and Tourism) because they don't look like they're going to benefit you in the long run and will likely just take up time. Also, three languages might be a bit much unless you're already relatively good at one or two of them.
There doesn't seem to be any point doing A-level Law or Citizenship either (especially not the latter) as they'll probably just distract you and neither are likely to help you out much in the future. They're certainly not worth risking poor GCSE grades over. As somebody who did two AS levels (French and English Lit) alongside GCSEs, I can tell you that it can be really distracting and I'm pretty sure my GCSE grades that year suffered because of the A-levels.
I can't say that you'll do badly, you might ace all of the exams, but you've got a better chance of doing well if you cut down on the unnecessary subjects.

I'm sorry but I like Human Bio, so that's staying.. Travel and Tourism..maybe? and if i'm strugging with the languages i'll drop one or two or maybe all of them.

And I just wanted to do Law or Citizenship just bc (like I want to do Latin IGCSE it only really helps me if I want to read Classics but I don't:smile: so in a way Latin is a waste of time because its a dead language)

I'll see if some are just taking up too much time..

What did you get in your GCSE's& AS btw?:')
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm sorry but I like Human Bio, so that's staying.. Travel and Tourism..maybe? and if i'm strugging with the languages i'll drop one or two or maybe all of them.

And I just wanted to do Law or Citizenship just bc (like I want to do Latin IGCSE it only really helps me if I want to read Classics but I don't:smile: so in a way Latin is a waste of time because its a dead language)

I'll see if some are just taking up too much time..

What did you get in your GCSE's& AS btw?:')

For GCSE I got 7A*s 2As and 3Bs (one A and two Bs were those done alongside A-level)
For A-level I got A*AAABa (the B and a grades were those done alongside GCSE)
They're not awful grades, but most of the Bs were a result of doing too much at once imo.

If you think you can handle the workload then by all means, give it a go. A lot of people I know have done well with lots of subjects so it's definitely not impossible. You just have to be prepared to drop some things and change your plans a little if things aren't going well. As long as you're flexible and you're good at organising yourself, things will probably work out.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 6
For GCSE I got 7A*s 2As and 3Bs (one A and two Bs were those done alongside A-level)
For A-level I got A*AAABa (the B and a grades were those done alongside GCSE)
They're not awful grades, but most of the Bs were a result of doing too much at once imo.

If you think you can handle the workload then by all means, give it a go. A lot of people I know have done well with lots of subjects so it's definitely not impossible. You just have to be prepared to drop some things and change your plans a little if things aren't going well. As long as you're flexible and you're good at organising yourself, things will probably work out.

Best of luck :smile:

Dude!:eek: you make it sound like you got awful grades! You made me think that those two AS Made you fail( D and below) and get low C/B grades
Dude!:eek: you make it sound like you got awful grades! You made me think that those two AS Made you fail( D and below) and get low C/B grades

I know they're not that bad, but I think the actual exams I sat that year didn't go well (for the GCSEs that I got Bs in, I actually got C/D in the exam that year but was awarded a B overall because of A*s in exams the previous year). Sorry if I seemed a bit misleading though
:eek4:
If you're after advice, I'd recommend against doing A levels at the same time as GCSEs. Also, there's really no benefit to doing more than three A levels.
Reply 9
I know they're not that bad, but I think the actual exams I sat that year didn't go well (for the GCSEs that I got Bs in, I actually got C/D in the exam that year but was awarded a B overall because of A*s in exams the previous year). Sorry if I seemed a bit misleading though
:eek4:

I don't understand you they awarded you B because you had loads of A* ?

And thanks anyway, I'll see how things go x
Reply 10
Original post by benplumley
If you're after advice, I'd recommend against doing A levels at the same time as GCSEs. Also, there's really no benefit to doing more than three A levels.

Ik there's not ( like there's not much point doing Latin- unless you want to read Classics, which I don't) but yah I wanted to do one of them and if Its too much/boring then i'll drop :smile: x
I don't understand you they awarded you B because you had loads of A* ?

And thanks anyway, I'll see how things go x

Haha, no, it was chemistry where you do multiple exams. Because I got an A* in the y10 exam and a D in the y11 exam, I got a B overall in that GCSE. Sorry, I didn't explain it very well :tongue:
Reply 12
Haha, no, it was chemistry where you do multiple exams. Because I got an A* in the y10 exam and a D in the y11 exam, I got a B overall in that GCSE. Sorry, I didn't explain it very well :tongue:

Oh I see.. Yeah IGCSE's are just two straight exams:smile:
Reply 13

And did you mean Three A-levels at the same time as gcses? wouldn't that look... odd? I mean like doing Biology,Chemistry and Psychology (i)gcse alongside alevel ? wouldn't that be like cheating???..
And did you mean Three A-levels at the same time as gcses? wouldn't that look... odd? I mean like doing Biology,Chemistry and Psychology (i)gcse alongside alevel ? wouldn't that be like cheating???..

I mean what's written in the OP, where you've said you'll do A level law or citizenship alongside your IGCSEs.
Reply 15
I mean what's written in the OP, where you've said you'll do A level law or citizenship alongside your IGCSEs.

Ooooh okay, I was gonna say:/

Quick Reply

Latest