The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Asexual Demigod
I really don't understand the whole "triggering" thing. It sounds like just an excuse to act overly dramatic just because you disagree with someone. I understand it in the case of childhood trauma/complex PTSD, but otherwise it seems a bit artificial to me.

Ok, I don't post in here often, I read through on occasion and ask for advice when I need it and am always met with welcoming people and good sound advice from people experiencing similar problems to me. However I feel I just have to say that, you are posting in a support society. The idea is that you offer and receive support when you or others need it in a safe environment for all posters. People in here have a very wide range of problems and something that may seem like nothing to you is a huge "trigger" as you put it to somebody else and can really bring them down or make them remember something that has happened/been said that has previously hurt them. While I absolutely appreciate you have your own problems, it is in no way constructive to demean anyone else's feelings and call them over dramatic for something that has hurt them. You, and anyone else who needs it, are more than welcome in this society to be part of the supportive environment MHSS prides itself on.
Original post by Sabertooth
That's odd. Obviously I'm not a professional but I'm fairly sure it's a treatable symptom of psychosis. I can only speak from my own experience, but when I'm on the right dose/drug I don't think those kind of things at all. Have you told your psychiatrist? He'll be better trained in this area.

Yeah my psychiatrist knows and my team have decided to treat it as a psychological matter not a psychiatric one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nope, it wasn't. Provide evidence to support your assertion.

Please stop acting like a smart arse- it wont get you far in here. :h:

You said..

I already mentioned that self-diagnosis isn't particularly valid, so why you felt the need to add that into your reply is beyond me.

... which was rude.
Original post by tasha96

You said..

... which was rude.

How is it rude? I'm just being honest. There was no need to reiterate the point. :confused:
Original post by MJlover
Yeah my psychiatrist knows and my team have decided to treat it ad a psychological matter not a psychiatric one.

:console: Weird but they're the professionals so know best. Are you getting therapy atm? Maybe that might help you to get rid of these thoughts?
I really don't understand the whole "triggering" thing. It sounds like just an excuse to act overly dramatic just because you disagree with someone. I understand it in the case of childhood trauma/complex PTSD, but otherwise it seems a bit artificial to me.

Think Sherlock has covered it, tbh. People in here can get triggered by all kinds of things, some which may seem slight or nonsensical to others at first glance, but it doesn't make their anguish less valid. Lots of different issues, sore points and triggers in here, which is why we all try to be gentle and diplomatic with each other :yes:
Reply 3746

Spoiler

I understand you find it hard, since your NPD makes it more difficult to empathise (and so do I because I have super-logical rants). I don't judge you for that. But TRY to understand that what you say may remind someone in a bad place of something they wanted to forget and be safe from around here

:hugs:
How is it rude? I'm just being honest. There was no need to reiterate the point. :confused:

Do you really want me to go into the English of it and tell you why it was rude? You are- afterall- the Cambridge student here. Where as silly old me will go to an ordinary, lesser uni (if I go to uni at all).
Original post by Sabertooth
:console: Weird but they're the professionals so know best. Are you getting therapy atm? Maybe that might help you to get rid of these thoughts?

Yeah I'm getting therapy to combat these thoughts :smile:
Original post by tasha96
Do you really want me to go into the English of it and tell you why it was rude? You are- afterall- the Cambridge student here. Where as silly old me will go to an ordinary, lesser uni (if I go to uni at all).

You didn't need to say the same point. God, let it drop and stop taking the opportunity to call me out on my arrogance, or rather pseudoarrogance, that is symptomatic of my NPD...
Original post by MJlover

I really hope that works out for you. It might sometimes seem like hard work but stick with it.

Good luck, I hope you get an escape from these distressing thoughts soon.
Original post by MJlover

Really hope the therapy helps :hugs:
Original post by Valvopus
As a Cambridge student myself I sometimes doubt that they take the very best. The ability to perform in exams and at interview doesn't make you better than others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

^this. Some of the girls I know at Cam. Academically very gifted, but have the common sense of a slice of toast :/

Original post by Noodlzzz
It's all about the first university to let woman in :wink:

Pssh. It's aaaaaaaaaaalll about teh university that is Jess Ennis-Hill's alma mater. Lets be honest.
Original post by PandaWho
im actually VERY insulted by this to the point you have genuinly upset me.

you have NO idea about my life, so how DARE you say what you said to me.

im not even going to bother talking to you again as you have insulted me MASSIVELY and i suggest you seriously thing about how you go about talking to people in this thread.

-huggggggggging-
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Haters gonna hate :banana:

God damn bloody Oxford :shakecane:
Original post by Riku

Spoiler

I'll reply to you and Furryface soon I haven't got much energy atm but it's good to hear you're busy and doing OK PD :hugs:

Spoiler

Original post by james1211
I'm not even sure what they're going to do tomorrow - the A&E doctor just said to ring the surgeon who did it and explain A&E said to ring them because it's infected. I've already got antibiotics, i'm assuming they just want me to ring them to check that there's not going to be any complications arise? Who knows, i don't do medical things very often :redface:

I'm looking forward to going back but i want to feel better before i do so, i can't imagine being able to focus in any lectures like this :redface:

Sounds confusing, but I'm sure they'll sort it out fine! No, me neither :redface:

No, that's true :redface: Have you talked/emailed to tutor/support services or something to say you're (both physically and mentally) ill at the moment? They might be able to record lectures or something? or get you a recorder for the time being :dontknow:

Original post by tasha96

You said..

... which was rude.

It's fine tasha :redface: Thanks though lovely :hugs:
Was semi-rude, but I guess more just blunt/straight-forward rather than rude rude :redface:

I just thought I'd maybe say to everyone that maybe it's best if we all left this alone for now :redface: Maybe. :dontknow:

Don't like this conflict tbh/might be better that if anyone has nothing nice to say to anyone, then best to just move on/ignore.

:dontknow:

:hugs: to all though

(ACTUALLY goes to get bus now :lol: Will probably be on tsr mobile though :tongue:)
So she is dyslexic? It was implicated that if she did have dyslexia, I'd just move on and ignore the difficulty I had in understanding her posts. Sorry.

no im not dyslexic, so i do appologise for my awful spelling and grammer. it is something i have struggled with my entire life, i have tried my hardest, but it is something i struggle with. so i appolgise it has caused you an inconvenience.

I am sorry for triggering you.

the damage has been done.

Original post by Odd socks

Spoiler

Please stay safe, for us?

Posted from TSR Mobile

trying my ****ing hardest.

you have no idea about ANY of my illnesses, and i am actually triggered by a wide range of things, and i dont feel i have to justify to you why i am triggered.

i have quoted myself below, and i feel i did not insult you once, i merely stated i dont care what uni you go to purely because to me it doesnt matter, i treat everyone on equal grounds unless you insult myself, my family or my friends.

if im honest i couldn't give a **** if your a Cambridge student or not. it really doesnt impress me at all. people go to uni for different reason, and apply to different unis for different reason.
i think this elitist *******s should be removed from the university system.
there is not better uni as each uni specializes in different things.
Original post by Riku

Spoiler

I understand you find it hard, since your NPD makes it more difficult to empathise (and so do I because I have super-logical rants). I don't judge you for that. But TRY to understand that what you say may remind someone in a bad place of something they wanted to forget and be safe from around here

:hugs:

I really do and I'm sorry for upsetting Panda and the others. I just really get pissed off scrolling down Tumblr and seeing *trigger warning* plastered everywhere. If someone had a phobia of clowns would you tag it with a trigger warning? It seems like a ridiculous precaution and just another means of censorship to protect oversensitive individuals. And I say this as a ****ing oversensitive wreck!
You didn't need to say the same point. God, let it drop and stop taking the opportunity to call me out on my arrogance, or rather pseudoarrogance, that is symptomatic of my NPD...

You come in here, insult 99.9% of the population (those of us not at oxbridge), have a go at my friends, trigger my friends, are rude to my friends and generally piss people off and you expect us all to just sit here and take it without telling you how out of order you are?! :confused: Don't think you can see how much damage you're causing- and I'm one of the ones picking up the pieces.
no im not dyslexic, so i do appologise for my awful spelling and grammer. it is something i have struggled with my entire life, i have tried my hardest, but it is something i struggle with. so i appolgise it has caused you an inconvenience.

I am sorry for insulting you.

the damage has been done.

Sorry again.

trying my ****ing hardest.

Stay strong.

you have no idea about ANY of my illnesses, and i am actually triggered by a wide range of things, and i dont feel i have to justify to you why i am triggered.

No, I don't. I just don't understand triggers yet I have my own!

i have quoted myself below, and i feel i did not insult you once, i merely stated i dont care what uni you go to purely because to me it doesnt matter, i treat everyone on equal grounds unless you insult myself, my family or my friends.
As a narcissist, I hate being classed as equal to others. I want to be special so I did find it incredibly insulting when I have worked so much harder to get into Cambridge than others have getting into other universities.

Replies in bold.
Original post by tasha96
You come in here, insult 99.9% of the population (those of us not at oxbridge), have a go at my friends, trigger my friends, are rude to my friends and generally piss people off and you expect us all to just sit here and take it without telling you how out of order you are?! :confused: Don't think you can see how much damage you're causing- and I'm one of the ones picking up the pieces.

I am just as mentally ill as any of you. My issues are just different. Do you really think I want to be an ******* just to defend myself from excruciating emotional pain?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by .snowflake.

Pssh. It's aaaaaaaaaaalll about teh university that is Jess Ennis-Hill's alma mater. Lets be honest.

Jessica Ennis :colone::heart:

Latest

Trending

Trending