The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 2scotty
(In the voice of Peter Capaldi...)

"QUESTION..."

Is the current Doctor really actually the 14th Doctor, and not the 12th Doctor? There is one main Doctor missing from the timeline... The War Doctor. PLUS... David Tennant's Doctor had a 2nd regeneration. In "The End of Time" episode (Catherine Tate's / Donna Noble's final episode), the Doctor was of course exterminated by a Dalek... went into regeneration mode, but something happened in the TARDIS to do with his hand in the tank and remained the same looking Doctor.

He's the 13th regeneration, yes. That's why he needed a new set of regenerations from the Time Lords, as each Time Lord only gets 12 regenerations. However, he's known as the 12th Doctor as the War Doctor didn't go by the name of Doctor, so although he was a regeneration he doesn't count as a Doctor. Tennant's Doctor did regenerate twice but he was still the same Doctor, so it doesn't count as 2 Doctors.
LISTEN. :ahhhhh:

:ahee:
Original post by Mike.Ross
LISTEN. :ahhhhh:

:ahee:

To what? Because I absolutely refuse to listen to anything by 1Direction, Jedward or The Wanted.

:tongue:
Original post by Unibuster325
To what? Because I absolutely refuse to listen to anything by 1Direction, Jedward or The Wanted.

:tongue:

xD
By the way, I know we didn't see Missy this episode but I thought we could have a bit of a chat about her. There's a lot of speculation around who she is (some people saying that she's another version of Clara) and I heard this interesting idea the other day:

Spoiler

All conjecture of course, but I found it very interesting!
Original post by tomtjl
By the way, I know we didn't see Missy this episode but I thought we could have a bit of a chat about her. There's a lot of speculation around who she is (some people saying that she's another version of Clara) and I heard this interesting idea the other day:

Spoiler

All conjecture of course, but I found it very interesting!

I'd rather see Ben Miller return and declare he was the Master all along. Ben Miller would make a fantastic Master.
I'm split on the new series tbh. I like Moffat's (and the other writer's) smart-arserey, but i hate Clara and all story lines involving her with a passion.
Original post by KingStannis
I'm split on the new series tbh. I like Moffat's (and the other writer's) smart-arserey, but i hate Clara and all story lines involving her with a passion.

I love Clara. Fantastically portrayed by Jenna Coleman and definitely my favourite companion so far.
Reply 3828
I think the doctor and companion relationship works atm but pls get rid of moffat I'm sick of his style
I just finished watching "listen" and I have to admit, I actually enjoyed a Steven Moffat episode! now there are words i haven't said in a while.

I like the approach that the new season is going, it starting to be more dark and gritty rather than the happy go cheery Matt smith era.

The doctor seems a lot more serious in comparison to the Matt Smith era. However I feel it is too big a change too fast. For instance, the 10th doctor was deemed the hero and would do anything to save people (or at least try) saying shoot me instead of innocent humans (darleks in Manhattan).

But in the second episode of this season, we saw him sacrifice the soldiers life and said "he was dead anyways". Am not sure how i feel about such a drastic change in character yet.

The episodes have been good so far, but the character of the doctor I am uneasy about at the moment
I love Clara. Fantastically portrayed by Jenna Coleman and definitely my favourite companion so far.

i f
ind her vacuous tbh. Utterly un-human. She seems to me to be a politically constructed stock character.

i f
ind her vacuous tbh. Utterly un-human. She seems to me to be a politically constructed stock character.

I wouldn't say she is my favourite companion (new who that would be Donna by miles), but I agree she doesn't deserve all the hate she gets. Especially this series when she actually feels like she's been fleshed out now
I'd rather see Ben Miller return and declare he was the Master all along. Ben Miller would make a fantastic Master.

Whereas I've always thought Ben Miller would have made a brilliant Doctor :tongue:
Original post by syrettd
Whereas I've always thought Ben Miller would have made a brilliant Doctor :tongue:

I thought the latter would have been more suited to him pre-Robot Of Sherwood but now I think he'd make a better Master. Ben Miller stole the show as the Sheriff Of Nottingham.
Is anyone else in this thread doing the Film and TV Production BSC at the University Of York?

If so, perhaps we could meet up two weeks' today before one of the introduction lectures?
I thought the latter would have been more suited to him pre-Robot Of Sherwood but now I think he'd make a better Master. Ben Miller stole the show as the Sheriff Of Nottingham.

He'd make a good Master too, it's just whenever I see the sketch of Ben Miller as Michael Faraday (I watch Youtube clips of his sketch shows a lot) I always think he'd have been a perfect choice for the Doctor. Too late now I guess, but they could feasibly bring him in as the Master. Tough to beat John Simm though (another one who'd have made a great Doctor- I was kind of sad when I heard he'd been cast as the Master instead).
Original post by syrettd
He'd make a good Master too, it's just whenever I see the sketch of Ben Miller as Michael Faraday (I watch Youtube clips of his sketch shows a lot) I always think he'd have been a perfect choice for the Doctor. Too late now I guess, but they could feasibly bring him in as the Master. Tough to beat John Simm though (another one who'd have made a great Doctor- I was kind of sad when I heard he'd been cast as the Master instead).

It's the most feasible unexpected reveal they could do, using a past character. I can very easily imagine the Sheriff Of Nottingham returning and cackling out loud as he sinisterly proclaims 'I tricked you again, Doctor!'. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was the Master all along because he seemed very Master-like.

I dislike clara too! She is by far my least favorite companion and I think one of the reasons is because shes been made so important to the doctors life and I dont like that this random companion is that vital. Also I find her quite desperate and annoying at times particularly in the robin hood episode where she is thought of as the leader. This is all my opinion so if you dont agree thats fine, but I for one cannot wait for clara to be gone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3838
Original post by syrettd

You say too late, but don't forget that Capaldi already played two separate characters in the DW universe :wink2:
Clara's annoying me, Bring back anyone else, even K9

Quick Reply

Latest