The Student Room Group

Outflow of 27$billions? End of UK or Scotland?

Almost $27 billion of financial assets were pulled out of Britain in August in the run up to Scotland’s vote on independence, according to a new report by a London-based consultancy comparing the capital outflow to the Lehman Brothers collapse in 2008.

The financial outflow of 16.8 billion pounds ($27 billion) in August was the biggest since the white heat of the 2008 financial crisis when the US bank Lehman Brothers went bust, according to a CrossBorderCapital report compiled by the consultancy and released on Friday.

http://rt.com/business/187748-investors-pull-out-billions-uk/

In my opinion, UK would probably collapse if Scots say 'So long, pal!" What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

I think it may well collapse. It is actually starting to concern me.
tis but a scratch
Reply 3
Why would the UK collapse? If Scotland leaves we'd lose 10% of our total gdp. Damaging yes, collapse inducing no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by skunkboy
Almost $27 billion of financial assets were pulled out of Britain in August in the run up to Scotland’s vote on independence, according to a new report by a London-based consultancy comparing the capital outflow to the Lehman Brothers collapse in 2008.

The financial outflow of 16.8 billion pounds ($27 billion) in August was the biggest since the white heat of the 2008 financial crisis when the US bank Lehman Brothers went bust, according to a CrossBorderCapital report compiled by the consultancy and released on Friday.

http://rt.com/business/187748-investors-pull-out-billions-uk/

In my opinion, UK would probably collapse if Scots say 'So long, pal!" What do you think?

Currencies lose and gain each day, month and year. The roughly 10% decline is bad but we saw a 30% during the recession and did not collapse.

There is no danger of collapse.
Reply 5
Original post by Aj12
Why would the UK collapse? If Scotland leaves we'd lose 10% of our total gdp. Damaging yes, collapse inducing no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about UK debt? It has nothing to do with Scotland?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
Currencies lose and gain each day, month and year. The roughly 10% decline is bad but we saw a 30% during the recession and did not collapse.

There is no danger of collapse.

UK is now in different situation. Don't you worry about long-term investment?

Scotland has key resources, hasn't it? If most of Scots say 'yes', UK will lose those resources, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
UK is now in different situation. Don't you worry about long-term investment?

Scotland has key resources, hasn't it? If most of Scots say 'yes', UK will lose those resources, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no real worries post Thursday. Scotland does have resources and industry but its still a relatively small proportion of the economy.

I'm sure we'll be fine.
Maybe Russia can help? :P
Reply 9
Original post by Wh1t3G3n0c1d3

We could sell Ukraine :rofl:
08 **** happen because all the banks collapsed and the stock market.

Irony? The Rubble has fallen far more than the pound this year with the Ukraine business.
Reply 12
Original post by Rakas21
I have no real worries post Thursday. Scotland does have resources and industry but its still a relatively small proportion of the economy.

I'm sure we'll be fine.

But I'm not sure,frankly. Have you ever watched 'Titanic '? How did that cruise liner sink?

Don't you think overconfidence can bring disasters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

Lol. Now Russia has problems caused by sanctions war.

Putin, anti-Mcdonalds kid(also anti-Microsoft), is now too busy to help UK. Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
But I'm not sure,frankly. Have you ever watched 'Titanic '? How did that cruise liner sink?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Overconfidence can bring disasters but bar oil and some manufacturing we are unlikely to lose any other engine of growth.

For sure Scotland leaving will be damaging but there's no reason to think the bulk of England will be damaged.

Politically of course it would be a sad day even if I personally will be a dual citizen.
I think most peoples' understanding of international finance is of the level, "What's in the mystery box! Is it good/bad/scary/a deadly virus that will surely kill us all?!"

Bits of this and other countries have peacefully fallen off before with no significant effect on living standards.
Reply 16
What about UK debt? It has nothing to do with Scotland?

Posted from TSR Mobile

A proportional amount goes to iScotland. So it makes no odds.
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, what happened?

How do you sink a floating currency? :P
Reply 18
Original post by Rakas21
Overconfidence can bring disasters but bar oil and some manufacturing we are unlikely to lose any other engine of growth.

For sure Scotland leaving will be damaging but there's no reason to think the bulk of England will be damaged.

Politically of course it would be a sad day even if I personally will be a dual citizen.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Competitiveness_Yearbook

What about competitiveness? If most of Scots say 'yes', UK would still be ranked sixteenth in the world? Any effect on invesments? What do you think? Can you see the future?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Observatory
I think most peoples' understanding of international finance is of the level, "What's in the mystery box! Is it good/bad/scary/a deadly virus that will surely kill us all?!"

Bits of this and other countries have peacefully fallen off before with no significant effect on living standards.

No significant effects? Lol. I hope you're right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending