The Student Room Group

Republic of Ireland President says he would have no problem rejoining the UK

http://www.galwaydailynews.com/2014/06/07/i-would-not-be-against-ireland-rejoining-the-united-kingdom-says-president-higgins/

Irish President-'We have been seperated for far too long from our British brothers and sisters. The invisible force that kept us apart must now be consigned to the pages of history as we move forward to a bright united future'

I am not so sure the Irish people would agree. Thoughts on this with improving relations and the Catholic vs. Protestant saga slowly being moved on from can you ever see a time Ireland joins the UK? would the Irish ever agree?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We should always be striving to be closer together.

Except on principle, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with us becoming a federal country together, where Ireland would still have self determination. He isn't suggesting that, he is just suggesting we work together better.
Reply 2
Quite a bizarre line to take the week of the referendum.
Original post by CheGuava
We should always be striving to be closer together.

Except on principle, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with us becoming a federal country together, where Ireland would still have self determination. He isn't suggesting that, he is just suggesting we work together better.

Have you read the article? He says he would be happy for Ireland to become part of the UK again.

I have a lot of sentiment for the idea, I have Irish heritage on both sides, but I don't know what the economic and social implications would be. Ireland's economy is not doing great and I imagine there's quite a risk of it stoking cooling embers.
He might think that, but I can think of a few million Irish citizens who might disagree.
Reply 5
The Irish have been separated from us for too long, what we allowed to happen in the 1800's was criminal but I fully support the unification of the British Isles.
Reply 6
Original post by Birkenhead
Have you read the article? He says he would be happy for Ireland to become part of the UK again.

I have a lot of sentiment for the idea, I have Irish heritage on both sides, but I don't know what the economic and social implications would be. Ireland's economy is not doing great and I imagine there's quite a risk of it stoking cooling embers.

The Irish economy is structurally not that bad and I think it could be done. Similar deficit, large trade surplus, employment is something of a problem as is near zero inflation. Solid corporate and industrial base though.

The reason they got hit so hard before was because to lower corporation and income taxes they'd tied a lot of taxation to the construction sector so when housing went caput so did tax revenues.
Reply 7
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
He might think that, but I can think of a few million Irish citizens who might disagree.

What's the reason you think?
Original post by kka25
What's the reason you think?

The fact that their forefathers fought tooth and nail for independence, to simply rejoin the UK would be a bit insulting.
Reply 9
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
The fact that their forefathers fought tooth and nail for independence, to simply rejoin the UK would be a bit insulting.

To be fair, we won't starve them anymore.
Of course he would. Ireland's economy collapsed upon joining the EU and adopting the Euro. They need a reputable economy like the UK to begin redevelopment. The euro zone crisis crippled them.
Original post by Ace123
http://www.galwaydailynews.com/2014/06/07/i-would-not-be-against-ireland-rejoining-the-united-kingdom-says-president-higgins/

Irish President-'We have been seperated for far too long from our British brothers and sisters. The invisible force that kept us apart must now be consigned to the pages of history as we move forward to a bright united future'

I am not so sure the Irish people would agree. Thoughts on this with improving relations and the Catholic vs. Protestant saga slowly being moved on from can you ever see a time Ireland joins the UK? would the Irish ever agree?

Firstly that paper is a local one with little to none respectability in ireland.secondly the article is full of misguided quotes.
I think hes saying if its what the people want they hed accept that...hes just saying the good links should continue between the two countries..to which I agree.

ist not even news over here.

dodgy article.no need to rejoin..but economically/socially perhaps we can become more friendly to each other.

Original post by The Right
Of course he would. Ireland's economy collapsed upon joining the EU and adopting the Euro. They need a reputable economy like the UK to begin redevelopment. The euro zone crisis crippled them.
were already in redevelopment.one of the better eu countries still despite our debt.
It would never happen. Not now. Not in 100 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by The Right

Not really. The cause was the insane property prices and the loans by the banks.

The fact, they were part of the euro just made everything worse
Reply 14
Yep, see what's happened there is you've posted a link to a well know Irish satire site thinking its legitimate news, or else you've pulled shenanigans on us all.

http://www.galwaydailynews.com/2014/09/13/ian-paisleys-corpse-fired-sun-just-sure/

http://www.galwaydailynews.com/2014/09/10/dont-look-like-morgan-freeman-now-****-says-local-black-man/

http://www.galwaydailynews.com/2014/09/10/local-younglad-convinced-hell-get-feek-tonight/

Hope that clears things up.
(edited 9 years ago)
It probably would help them, a stable economy, the pound stronger than the euro, large economy to bail out their banks. It probably could recover very well.

Question is, do we want them? Not after all the bull**** we've had in the last 100 years would anyone agree to them.
Original post by Snagprophet
It probably would help them, a stable economy, the pound stronger than the euro, large economy to bail out their banks. It probably could recover very well.

Question is, do we want them? Not after all the bull**** we've had in the last 100 years would anyone agree to them.

This is about as reasonable as rejecting Muslims because of Islamic extremists.
This is about as reasonable as rejecting Muslims because of Islamic extremists.

I couldn't think of an example more irrelevant to the thread or what I said.
Original post by Snagprophet
I couldn't think of an example more irrelevant to the thread or what I said.

It wasn't example, it was an analogy.
I seriously doubt there are many who agree with him.

Latest

Trending

Trending