The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blazy

Watch some Prince of Tennis to take your mind off things! Better yet, have a look at Kuroko's Basketball :biggrin:
Original post by megiddo_

I just realised. Is your name a reference to the Sol Blade move in Golden Sun TLA? :biggrin:

How did you do on the MAT front?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Blazy
Yeah, I think I just need to take time off and then look at the stuff again later with a more open mind. Thanks for the advice.

I've been pretty poor this year in terms of actually learning the maths - I got on fine the past two terms but then when it came to Trinity, I realised I didn't really know a lot - I made the mistake of just getting sheets done and not actively learning the maths, though I'm sure I'm not the only one - potential undergrads, do take note of this.

Topology - I don't really have much interest in it, and judging by the notes, it resembles analysis which I never really got to grips with...

Numerical Analysis - I can't stand MATLAB

Waves and Fluids - This one could still return to my list. There's quite a lot of calculus which might not be too bad, but I think I would be more interested in the other 6 modules.

I just need a long break to be honest :frown:

If it helps affirm your choice, Topology is basically Analysis on speed; you'll quickly come unstuck if you didn't like analysis in the first year.
Reply 2283
Original post by Khallil
I just realised. Is your name a reference to the Sol Blade move in Golden Sun TLA? :biggrin:

Oh god we even play the same games...

Original post by shamika
If it helps affirm your choice, Topology is basically Analysis on speed; you'll quickly come unstuck if you didn't like analysis in the first year.

In that case, definitely a no no to Topology then :P
Original post by Blazy

You've played Golden Sun as well?!? :eek: I hardly know anybody that has!!!
Reply 2285
Original post by Khallil

How did you do on the MAT front?

it is!

and i've no idea. well enough to be offered a place though :3
Original post by megiddo_

I wish I could go to Oxford. There seem to be many (2) people who've played Golden Sun there. Did you play both GBA games?

Nice! Are you pretty confident on meeting the offer?
Reply 2287
Original post by Khallil
I wish I could go to Oxford. There seem to be many (2) people who've played Golden Sun there. Did you play both GBA games?

Nice! Are you pretty confident on meeting the offer?

not really. grade boundaries are tough D:
I've been looking at past entrance tests and was wondering if anyone knew how they graded them; how many marks are given to each question and what a good score is to achieve?
Original post by DreamAway
I've been looking at past entrance tests and was wondering if anyone knew how they graded them; how many marks are given to each question and what a good score is to achieve?

Each multiple-choice question is worth 4 marks. Each longer question is marked out of 15, with marks broken down between the separate parts.

What constitutes a good score varies from year to year. Last year, most candidates with scores in the low 40s or higher were short-listed, and most candidates with scores in the low 60s or higher got offers. However, that was a particularly hard test, so normally the corresponding scores would be somewhat higher.

Gavin
Original post by gavinlowe
Each multiple-choice question is worth 4 marks. Each longer question is marked out of 15, with marks broken down between the separate parts.

What constitutes a good score varies from year to year. Last year, most candidates with scores in the low 40s or higher were short-listed, and most candidates with scores in the low 60s or higher got offers. However, that was a particularly hard test, so normally the corresponding scores would be somewhat higher.

Gavin

I had asked something like this last year and had received useful responses, but my memory is rather poor:

How feasible is a transfer from Maths to MathsComp, and how much time will I get to decide if I want to shift? I haven't learnt any programming, but I really enjoy combinatorial maths problems and am interested in algorithms and logic; would that suggest that I might enjoy CS (I've been told so by quite a few people)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by souktik
I had asked something like this last year and had received useful responses, but my memory is rather poor:

How feasible is a transfer from Maths to MathsComp, and how much time will I get to decide if I want to shift?

In order to transfer, you need to persuade the college to let you: the tutors will need to be sure that you're good enough (but, given your MAT score, that shouldn't be difficult :smile: ), and that you have the right motivation for the subject.

If you want to transfer, it's better to start the conversation earlier than later. Ideally, you should do some preparatory reading over the summer, and know what you're doing by the start of term. Having said that, it is possible to follow both courses for a few weeks and then decide.

I haven't learnt any programming, but I really enjoy combinatorial maths problems and am interested in algorithms and logic; would that suggest that I might enjoy CS (I've been told so by quite a few people)?

Yes, that does sound like your interests lie in the right direction. I suggest you have a look at "Introduction to Functional Programming using Haskell" by Richard Bird, and see if you enjoy the material. That's the textbook for the first CS course, and also the main preparatory reading you should do if you do transfer to Maths & CS.

Gavin
Original post by gavinlowe
Yes, that does sound like your interests lie in the right direction. I suggest you have a look at "Introduction to Functional Programming using Haskell" by Richard Bird, and see if you enjoy the material. That's the textbook for the first CS course, and also the main preparatory reading you should do if you do transfer to Maths & CS.

Gavin

Ah, thank you! I'll certainly take a look at the book.
Hi everyone. I'm assuming most people in this thread sat last year's MAT and I hope you all did as well as you'd have liked! However, whether you were successful or not, I'm sure many of you would be able to share some preparation advice or useful exam techniques that did/or didn't work for you. If so it would be great to see it posted in the thread for this years candidates: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2841009

Alternatively you can PM me if you'd rather and I'll include it in the opening post.

Thanks a lot guys.
Original post by EconFan_73
Hi everyone. I'm assuming most people in this thread sat last year's MAT and I hope you all did as well as you'd have liked! However, whether you were successful or not, I'm sure many of you would be able to share some preparation advice or useful exam techniques that did/or didn't work for you. If so it would be great to see it posted in the thread for this years candidates: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2841009

Alternatively you can PM me if you'd rather and I'll include it in the opening post.

Thanks a lot guys.

The link doesn't follow through to the thread :frown:
would 90 + secure a place in imperial?? with 95 average in maths and further.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths

90+ is very likely to get you an offer from Oxford as well as Imperial.

I got 53 in the MAT last year and managed to get an offer from Imperial.
Original post by SherlockHolmes
90+ is very likely to get you an offer from Oxford as well as Imperial.

I got 53 in the MAT last year and managed to get an offer from Imperial.

how quickly can you get your result back.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
how quickly can you get your result back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can ask the Oxford college you have applied to after the offers have been decided (start of January). My colllege (Mansfield) didn't give me my score and told me to ask the Admissions Testing Service who directed me back to Mansfield. In the end I had to ask Imperial at the end of April.

You should be able to get your score back from Oxford though. My college was just reluctant to for some reason.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending