The Student Room Group

No friends at uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SloaneRanger
Seriously certain people don't want to or try too make friends at university. The only interest I had was friends of a female kind, I didn't bother making any male friends. Depends on your perspective and what you want from university. Places in the city of london, its completely different to a campus type uni.

and thats grand if they dont want to or dont try then quit moaning

grand if yeh dont want to
Original post by trustmeimlying1
and thats grand if they dont want to or dont try then quit moaning

grand if yeh dont want to

True say!
Original post by SloaneRanger
True say!

rep me lad dont just agree p
it was dodgy on their part...but you did lie about your sexuality..and might have thought u were making fools of them...

QMUL cant be that bad...my point is that no matter what uni youre at you can and will make friends...just take persistence and trying everything

I for one never thought Id be where I am today a year ago.

thats the beauty of life

Those people I dealt with were biphobic. I just wanted to fit in somewhere, you know? And then, a single slip in conversation and they called me a "traitor". They even said "go back to men! You're not one of us!". Then, they spread nasty rumors and I was shunned.

On the same day, I withdrew from QMUL and never looked back. I had a different approach at my new uni - just smiled and had a "don't care if I don't make friends here" attitude. I didn't even try this time but I made friends. If I made loads of effort, people thought I was desparate and used me as a tissue. :dontknow:
Original post by JulietheCat
Those people I dealt with were biphobic. I just wanted to fit in somewhere, you know? And then, a single slip in conversation and they called me a "traitor". They even said "go back to men! You're not one of us!". Then, they spread nasty rumors and I was shunned.

On the same day, I withdrew from QMUL and never looked back. I had a different approach at my new uni - just smiled and had a "don't care if I don't make friends here" attitude. I didn't even try this time but I made friends. If I made loads of effort, people thought I was desparate and used me as a tissue. :dontknow:

I think if you knew that they were biphobic and didn't accept bisexuals in their group, don't lie? And surely it wasn't the entire Soc, was it? :s-smilie:
Original post by Anonymous
I think if you knew that they were biphobic and didn't accept bisexuals in their group, don't lie? And surely it wasn't the entire Soc, was it? :s-smilie:

No, not the entire Soc. Just three lesbians hating on bisexuals. I'm sure that if I avoided those people and only looked at the good people, then maybe I wouldn't have lied. But they promised the best uni experience to me - as long as I was purely lesbian. So, I said yes.

So, while I had the experience (which IMO is just about partying and drinking alcohol until you puke), it didn't last that long.
No, not the entire Soc. Just three lesbians hating on bisexuals. I'm sure that if I avoided those people and only looked at the good people, then maybe I wouldn't have lied. But they promised the best uni experience to me - as long as I was purely lesbian. So, I said yes.

So, while I had the experience (which IMO is just about partying and drinking alcohol until you puke), it didn't last that long.

Wow...I just have no words.

I'd much rather be alone than hang out with people who hate me for who I am, in your case.
Wow...I just have no words.

I'd much rather be alone than hang out with people who hate me for who I am, in your case.

Oh, don't let that put you off joining the LGBT Soc (if you are LGBT). It's just my crappy experience at a university really held me back.

I'm sure out of the thousands of people, I would've found the golden "friends for life". Unfortunately the people I ended up with were nasty, rude and intolerant to my sexuality. So I begged them to hang out with them, because I really had no place to go.
Oh, don't let that put you off joining the LGBT Soc (if you are LGBT). It's just my crappy experience at a university really held me back.

I'm sure out of the thousands of people, I would've found the golden "friends for life". Unfortunately the people I ended up with were nasty, rude and intolerant to my sexuality. So I begged them to hang out with them, because I really had no place to go.

Names of the lesbians? I just want to know who to avoid when potentially joining the Soc next year :smile:
Names of the lesbians? I just want to know who to avoid when potentially joining the Soc next year :smile:

I'll probably get carded for it, so no.

Trust me, you'll know them when you'll see them. Tread carefully in uni and don't be like me, being all desparate and all that.

people dont like when others lie...and yes Im sure some of them were..altho personally i fully supports Bis and I cant be the only one.

fact is:must people will find it hard to transfer

besides whether you did or not it would only be your attitude that wouldve changed things

a fresh start made it easier at the other uni...but it was still very possible to make mates at the other uni...thats the main thing..

less about you..and more about helping the average joe who will find it hard to switch colleges...

its not about being desperate...is about getting urself out there..trying new things...being friendly...being open

finding decent friends that wont use yeh should be the provocative
Original post by Maid Marian
I won't have any friends at uni either. You are not alone :frown:

Yuck! :yucky:
Don't be so negative!
people dont like when others lie...and yes Im sure some of them were..altho personally i fully supports Bis and I cant be the only one.

fact is:must people will find it hard to transfer

besides whether you did or not it would only be your attitude that wouldve changed things

a fresh start made it easier at the other uni...but it was still very possible to make mates at the other uni...thats the main thing..

less about you..and more about helping the average joe who will find it hard to switch colleges...

its not about being desperate...is about getting urself out there..trying new things...being friendly...being open

finding decent friends that wont use yeh should be the provocative

I admit, I focused on winning the lesbians over because they asked if I was lesbian and if I was, they would want to be my friend. They turned out as fake friends.

I know it's difficult to transfer, so the social life wasn't the only drive for me to transfer. OP says they love their course but I hated it. Crap social life and crap course - transfer.

I did have a change in attitude - a laissez faire attitude. Employing a laissez faire attitude made the people come to me. Me desparately trying to find new friends ASAP showed me off as very needy and a potential victim of heartbreak.

Sometimes, the only way to make friends is to just let it be. Smile to everyone you greet and friends will come. While in QMUL, I felt stigmatised against all my classmates because of the way I was treated by some of my classmates.
I admit, I focused on winning the lesbians over because they asked if I was lesbian and if I was, they would want to be my friend. They turned out as fake friends.

I know it's difficult to transfer, so the social life wasn't the only drive for me to transfer. OP says they love their course but I hated it. Crap social life and crap course - transfer.

I did have a change in attitude - a laissez faire attitude. Employing a laissez faire attitude made the people come to me. Me desparately trying to find new friends ASAP showed me off as very needy and a potential victim of heartbreak.

Sometimes, the only way to make friends is to just let it be. Smile to everyone you greet and friends will come. While in QMUL, I felt stigmatised against all my classmates because of the way I was treated by some of my classmates.

well yeh lied..so I dont blame them...

Im glad you could transfer and it worked out:smile:

hmm yeh be easy going...but dont lock yourself in your room...you can be outgoing and friendly and not be desperate

glad it all worked out and I hope others keep trying until it does

best of luck guys
If everywhere you go there are problems, eventually you realise, you are the problem.
Original post by democracyforum
If everywhere you go there are problems, eventually you realise, you are the problem.

For me, thankfully it isn't the case. I'm very social outside university and can connect with people. It's just in university.

I'll take JulietheCat's advice, thank you :smile:
Don't mean to bump and hijack OP's thread - but I figured it was time to update on my time at uni (considering I posted here, being sad at QMUL). I transferred to Goldsmith's - mainly because I wasn't feeling challenged enough in my course. Everything went exactly the same as QMUL lol, except that I actually enjoy my course now.

The only way I made friends was to move out and get a flat. All the money I'm paying now for rent won't go towards helping my family. I was called selfish by my family, as moving out would mean making friends and not missing out on any of the experience.

The uni socials are still ****, as they always are. Bar this, bar that, get drunk, get pissed, get dirty...

I think university has been the absolute worst time of my life. School was much better as you could make friends simply by approaching and making conversation. Do the same in uni and they claim to be "busy" while blowing you off for their million friends. University always favours those who live on campus, not those who live with their parents or commute from a shared house.

I personally can't wait to leave uni.
Don't mean to bump and hijack OP's thread - but I figured it was time to update on my time at uni (considering I posted here, being sad at QMUL). I transferred to Goldsmith's - mainly because I wasn't feeling challenged enough in my course. Everything went exactly the same as QMUL lol, except that I actually enjoy my course now.

The only way I made friends was to move out and get a flat. All the money I'm paying now for rent won't go towards helping my family. I was called selfish by my family, as moving out would mean making friends and not missing out on any of the experience.

The uni socials are still ****, as they always are. Bar this, bar that, get drunk, get pissed, get dirty...

I think university has been the absolute worst time of my life. School was much better as you could make friends simply by approaching and making conversation. Do the same in uni and they claim to be "busy" while blowing you off for their million friends. University always favours those who live on campus, not those who live with their parents or commute from a shared house.

You gave me hope - but the second year was even worse than the first year.

My self-esteem dropped to zero, I ate a lot of comfort food to hide the pain from the loneliness and I'm still recovering.

Sounds like the problem is you, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
Sounds like the problem is you, sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then, why did I make tons of friends at school and do the same in the uni and be lonely? Sorry, but the problem is not me but university in general.

You gave me hope - but the second year was even worse than the first year.

My self-esteem dropped to zero, I ate a lot of comfort food to hide the pain from the loneliness and I'm still recovering.

:console: You have one more year, you can get through it. As I will try to, as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending