The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wahrheit
Hey, going to be applying for econ 2015 entry, I've already done 2 years of a maths degree at Warwick (decided to withdraw for various reasons...), my results there varied from 8 percent to 85 percent depending on the module, not sure if the unis I'd be applying to would request a transcript though? My average was pretty low anyway, my results this June were an average of about 35% percent and I would have had to have resat next summer had I decided to stay.

Anyway, A Levels/AS: A*A*(Maths + FM)A(Bio)B(German)bb(Chem, General Studies)
GCSEs: 7A*, 2A, 1B

Now the thing I'm wondering is, how will my lack of any sort of qualification in Economics prior to this point affect my application to top tier unis? No university should really be in any doubt over my ability to handle the Maths as I've (kind of) made it through two years of Warwick Maths, but is it worth just sitting an A level in econ next summer so they can give me a conditional offer instead of unconditional if they're not sure about me?

Also I was thinking of applying to UCL for two courses (Econ, Econ + 1 year abroad) as it said it's possible to to this on their website and I think I'd really like it there. Is anyone else considering doing something similar? Also is it the same admissions tutors who deal with both these courses, so it'd be either I get an offer from both or neither, kind of thing?

Thanks!

A level economics not required, would be unconditional.

Applying twice to UCL in the same department doesn't double your chances. The people who read your application will see this and you will either get 1 or 0 offers.
Original post by Mike_123
A level economics not required, would be unconditional.

Applying twice to UCL in the same department doesn't double your chances. The people who read your application will see this and you will either get 1 or 0 offers.

Ok, thanks!
Having been through the process last year, I'm happy to help anyone here if you quote me, or privately if you want some secrecy (I know I did!) via PM.

Thank you for offering help, I really need it!

I don't know what A-levels mean, A*AA?

I'm coming from an american school. My cumulative GPA is 3.51, I took the sat once, my score was 1420. never took the ACT, took to AP course got 3 in the first one and a 2 in the second one. I'm taking 2 APs this year. Will take the sat in november.

I want to study economics

I want to apply to:
-cambridge king's college
-london school of economics
-university of bristol
-university of manchester
-university of york

what are my chances of getting into one of these universities?

please help me!
Original post by Florenciaromano

I'm coming from an american school. My cumulative GPA is 3.51, I took the sat once, my score was 1420. never took the ACT, took to AP course got 3 in the first one and a 2 in the second one. I'm taking 2 APs this year. Will take the sat in november.

I want to apply to:
-university of bristol
-university of york

please help me!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't APs graded 1-5 with 5 being the best? The Cambridge website states that you need 5s in 5 APs, which you don't meet. I assume LSE would require something similar.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't APs graded 1-5 with 5 being the best? The Cambridge website states that you need 5s in 5 APs, which you don't meet. I assume LSE would require something similar.

you are right! Hopefully I'll get a 4 or a 5 in the AP tests I'll take in may!

how do you classify universities in the UK? in my school we classify them as reach, target, and safety.
my two reach universities are LSE and cambridge, I don't meet all the requirements but there might be the smallest possibility they accept me.

my target schools are:
university of manchester, university of bristol, and university of york. I meet almost all of their requirements except the AP ones, the probabilities that I'll get accepted are higher but not a 100% sure.

safety schools are the ones you'll get in for sure!, I don't have any of those hahaha. Can you please help me find one?
to be honest, never have I ever been in the UK, but I would love to go and live there. I based my decisions on the rankings I saw in the internet, my counsellor says there's a lot of universities that are not in the rankings but are just as good, please help me find a safety school!? :smile:
you are right! Hopefully I'll get a 4 or a 5 in the AP tests I'll take in may!

how do you classify universities in the UK? in my school we classify them as reach, target, and safety.
my two reach universities are LSE and cambridge, I don't meet all the requirements but there might be the smallest possibility they accept me.

my target schools are:
university of manchester, university of bristol, and university of york. I meet almost all of their requirements except the AP ones, the probabilities that I'll get accepted are higher but not a 100% sure.

safety schools are the ones you'll get in for sure!, I don't have any of those hahaha. Can you please help me find one?
to be honest, never have I ever been in the UK, but I would love to go and live there. I based my decisions on the rankings I saw in the internet, my counsellor says there's a lot of universities that are not in the rankings but are just as good, please help me find a safety school!? :smile:

I would say that if you're not set on studying in the UK then you can apply to more 'reach' and 'targets', but if you definitely want to study here then you might want to go for 2 'safeties'. I can't make a decision for you! My opinion differs from yours. You can only apply to 5 unis (even for international applicants I think), and you've mentioned 5 and they're all really good. Some other good unis are Bath, Exeter, Durham but they're all pretty competitive.
I would say that if you're not set on studying in the UK then you can apply to more 'reach' and 'targets', but if you definitely want to study here then you might want to go for 2 'safeties'. I can't make a decision for you! My opinion differs from yours. You can only apply to 5 unis (even for international applicants I think), and you've mentioned 5 and they're all really good. Some other good unis are Bath, Exeter, Durham but they're all pretty competitive.

Thank you! That really helped me! :smile:
I'm glad someone recommended "the student room" to me!
I want to apply for economics with the following grades;
GCSEs: 10 A*s 2As
AS: AAAB (95% average for top 3)
Predictions: A*A*A*A

Do you think I can apply to Cambridge, Warwick, LSE, or UCL?
Original post by Sb123456

No, those grades are shocking.

What was the B in? If it was maths it'll be more of a struggle. Also do you do further maths, that might be a good idea?
Other than that though your grades are fab :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
What was the B in? If it was maths it'll be more of a struggle. Also do you do further maths, that might be a good idea?
Other than that though your grades are fab :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

B was in Physics (1 ums off an A)
Yes I am doing FM, predicted an A at A2
Original post by Wahrheit
Hey, going to be applying for econ 2015 entry, I've already done 2 years of a maths degree at Warwick (decided to withdraw for various reasons...), my results there varied from 8 percent to 85 percent depending on the module, not sure if the unis I'd be applying to would request a transcript though? My average was pretty low anyway, my results this June were an average of about 35% percent and I would have had to have resat next summer had I decided to stay.

Anyway, A Levels/AS: A*A*(Maths + FM)A(Bio)B(German)bb(Chem, General Studies)
GCSEs: 7A*, 2A, 1B

Now the thing I'm wondering is, how will my lack of any sort of qualification in Economics prior to this point affect my application to top tier unis? No university should really be in any doubt over my ability to handle the Maths as I've (kind of) made it through two years of Warwick Maths, but is it worth just sitting an A level in econ next summer so they can give me a conditional offer instead of unconditional if they're not sure about me?

Also I was thinking of applying to UCL for two courses (Econ, Econ + 1 year abroad) as it said it's possible to to this on their website and I think I'd really like it there. Is anyone else considering doing something similar? Also is it the same admissions tutors who deal with both these courses, so it'd be either I get an offer from both or neither, kind of thing?

Thanks!

I'm applying to both! I emailed their admissions who confirmed they consider both applications separately and so you're not guaranteed either 0 or 2 offers!
GCSEs: 7.5A* 3 A
AS grades: AAAA
A2 predicted: A*(achieved)A*A*A(further maths)
Unis: Cambridge, LSE, UCL L101&L100, Nottingham

Is this too risky? or am I right in thinking I should be confident of receiving a Nottingham offer providing my PS is fine?
In terms of their personal statement, has anyone extensively written about a book/article? I've written some of the points an article in the economist made and I wrote a few reasons as to why these points were made but I feel I just droned on about something and its not personal whatsoever. I did end the paragraph with two lines explaining that topics like these have built my interest in economics.
Original post by Johnpeters
GCSEs: 7.5A* 3 A
AS grades: AAAA
A2 predicted: A*(achieved)A*A*A(further maths)
Unis: Cambridge, LSE, UCL L101&L100, Nottingham

Is this too risky? or am I right in thinking I should be confident of receiving a Nottingham offer providing my PS is fine?

My choices are similarly ambitious, but I'm also applying to a whole bunch of universities in Germany and the Netherlands so it isn't such a big deal if I don't get in to any of the UK universities. I'd say go for it!

I'm applying to both! I emailed their admissions who confirmed they consider both applications separately and so you're not guaranteed either 0 or 2 offers!

Thanks for the info!
B was in Physics (1 ums off an A)
Yes I am doing FM, predicted an A at A2

Happy days then, you can 100% apply to all those, but you might want a backup just in case

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to apply to:
-university of bristol
-university of york

please help me!

not entirely sure about cambridge but i know oxford want a 2100 in the SAT as a minimum requirement for american applicants

I applied to 2 UCL courses and only got offered for one, if you're applying to 2 courses they will generally only offer for 1 at best :smile:
Hey guys, I went through the process last year so if you want any help or info just ask :smile:
For E&M at Oxford:

GCSE: 5A* 2A 3B (B's in German+DT+Lit)
AS: AAAB
A2 predictions (taking on all 4): A*A*AA

100% in Maths, 95% in Economics.

If I do well in the TSA and my PS is liked, do I have a chance of an interview? Or no chance because of my GCSE's + the B at AS. Any feedback, positive or negative, is helpful, so feel free to reply. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending