The Student Room Group

Is biochemistry more biology or more chemistry?

Hi everyone

I'm thinking of studying biochemistry at uni and I am doing both at A-Level right now.

I got an invitation to be an ambassador for both subjects but I can only be an ambassador for one

So which one is more important in biochemistry? Chemistry or biology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by enaayrah
Hi everyone

I'm thinking of studying biochemistry at uni and I am doing both at A-Level right now.

I got an invitation to be an ambassador for both subjects but I can only be an ambassador for one

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see it and reply :smile:

Have you found University Connect yet? It's super useful for finding other people on your course/at your university! :smile:
The actual meat of it is chemistry.
Lol its almost 100% Biology
Original post by bertstare
Lol its almost 100% Biology

What? It's literally chemistry just in a biological context. Proteins and interactions. Receptors and such and how they interact chemically
Original post by enaayrah
Hi everyone

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say most courses are similar to molecular biology. It disregards ecology ect but includes a lot more on molecular pathways and the chemical reasoning behind processes. I'd probably say more biology though
(edited 9 years ago)
It does depend what course you are doing e.g. The oxford course is heavily chemistry based but others may have a great biological emphasis (I think bath uni does). I personally love the chemistry :smile:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What? It's literally chemistry just in a biological context. Proteins and interactions. Receptors and such and how they interact chemically

There's no chemical calculations, complex formulas/equations (no Krebs cycle doesn't count), reaction mechanisms at the atomic level, none of that at all. All the stuff about proteins, receptors etc is Biology not Chem. It's pretty much entirely Bio
Original post by bertstare
There's no chemical calculations, complex formulas/equations (no Krebs cycle doesn't count), reaction mechanisms at the atomic level, none of that at all. All the stuff about proteins, receptors etc is Biology not Chem. It's pretty much entirely Bio

Oh well then it seems I only looked at places like Oxford and Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending