The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pete_91
There was argument made that we overpaid for Bergkamp, but that wasn't a Wenger signing anyway (that's legitimately the only one i can think of).
I'm not arguing the number is actually £3m, I have no idea. I'm just questioning the basis of the idea AW would over pay for a player. I cannot think of a single player AW has, by choice rather than desperation, overpaid by say £10m as a clear cut amount, as a clear example of AW having form for going against his principle of value to get his man. You've got examples of players you've clearly been in for, with the likes of Cavalho, Remy, Draxler of late who had buyout clauses, so we know it wasn't a case of rejected bids.

Original post by sevchenko
Arshavin? Barca and others were after him at the time.
Pretty sure the others who were in for him had already bid similar amounts, and got rejected because Zenit wanted more.
Original post by deborarosa
LOL the end result doesn't always determine the game. Come on, every football fan knows that. If you watched the game yesterday you would have seen that Arsenal played some amazing football. Their best football of this season so far. Before the game I would've taken a draw but the way we played yesterday was so great that I was angry lol and knew we could've won it. We drew against the Champions. There were more positives than negatives to take away from that match. So actually we did improve. But im still pissed we didnt win.

if you did actually watch the game stop being biased and give credit when its due..we have improved

No, you did not play good football if anything you played worse than the same fixture last season where City dominated for one half and you dominated for the other half. I'm not biased at all since I'm giving credit to the Arsenal team of last season at the emirates, when everybody feels to slate Arsenal in big games, despite not having lost for 19 games at the Emirates... Your home form is only second to Chelsea and City and equal with Liverpool, tbh I even said you'd draw 2-2 before the match started.

Best football this season isn't saying anything when you've been playing badly all season, nearly losing to Leicester and coming back from a 2 goal deficit to Everton who were subsequently thrashed the next week by Chelsea. Your play at times was good but also very slow around the box, if City had Toure instead of Lampard or you faced Chelsea you'd have been toast.
Original post by The Shed End
Arsenal were fine last year v the big teams at home, it was away where they were awful.

Precisely what I was saying, hence why I predicted a draw before the game.
So lets start this discussion now because we all know its coming...Sanchez or di Maria ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is the point of discussing something when the answer is so completely obvious.

Di Maria is clearly the better player of the two
Not even being biased, but Di Maria is a better player than Sanchez for now. Who knows it could change in the future but right now, Di Maria>Sanchez.
Sanchez and Di Maria are two different players who have two different roles, why bother comparing them?
Original post by Arkasia
Sanchez and Di Maria are two different players who have two different roles, why bother comparing them?
hate people like you who put on this elitist attitude and act like every players are unique and no players are comparable to each other whenever questions of this nature pops up. You make it sound like comparing Sanchez to Di Maria is the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard. they are pretty/somewhat similar players.

di maria is better
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by YesAllMen
<br><br>hate people like you who put on this elitist attitude and act like every players are unique and no players are comparable to each other whenever questions of this nature pops up. You make it sound like comparing Sanchez to Di Maria is the most ridiculous thing you have ever heard. IMO, they are pretty similar players. Rate Di Maria a little higher, but it's close.

Hardly. I am saying comparing the two is wrong because they are different. By all means, compare two players who are in the same positions, roles, and have the same jobs in the squad, but since Di Maria is more of a CM/LW who is there to act as a b-2-b midfielder and provide the creativity and assistance for Falcao/RvP/Rooney, whereas Sanchez is a Winger/CF who is there to provide pace and goals for a team who has been lacking in both for a while now. If I had to say, I would probably say that on their day, Di Maria is the better player, but I would still pick Sanchez based on his consistency and work rate.
What's the point - they're different players.

I'm only going to judge them in terms of their ability in the Premier League; La Liga and the WC are different. From what I've seen from the pair since the start of the season: Alexis is more important to us than Di Maria is to Utd, because Utd's attack is greater than ours: the combination of Rooney, RVP, Mata and AdM > Giroud/Welbeck, Alexis, Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil.

In an ideal world, I'd be happy with either one of them in my team - no preference: Alexis provides the work-rate, defensive cover, determination, and is able to hold the ball up well and draws fouls that AdM lacks; whilst the latter does a better job in pure attacking terms: running at opponents and dribbling, finding better passes, et cetera.

But if I had to choose I'd lean more towards Alexis simply because of his work-rate, strength and determination. He's the type of player who will never give up irrespective of the task in front of him - and that's what our club has been lacking since the end of the the invincibles. We haven't had players able to rally others based on their individual performances, carrying the flag so to speak.
Is ADM lacking in work rate? I'd say that's one of his best assets, hence why he's so good in that shuttler role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Di Maria is more important to United than Sanchez is to Arsenal. Provides a clear impetus of pace to United's play which they're lacking for large periods in the games earlier on this season...

Also Di Maria's work rate is amazing. Easily as good as Sanchez, he was taken off by Mourinho at Madrid because he ran himself into the ground every single game and watch the Barca 4-3 game last season and tell me that Di Maria is lacking in work rate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AnharM
Hazard is not in the same level as Robben, Bale and Ribery? Are you actually serious?

Hazard-Bale: Hazard is a much better dribbler, creates more chances and can play as an AM. His close control with the ball is really good compared to Bale. Hazard can get himself out of tight situations. Very comfortable with the ball and rarely loses it. Bale is all about his pace, his shot accuracy + power, and his physicality. Despite Hazard's small stature, he is still very strong. Only thing I would say is that Bale can take free-kicks, Hazard can't/doesn't. Looking at this, Hazard is easily in league with him.

Can't comment on the other two because I don't watch them play every week or so. But unless Ribery and Robben have 20+ assists and goal scoring stats that matches Ronaldo and Messi, I don't see why Hazard isn't in the same eague with them. He clearly is, and you're just a hater. Everyone clearly sees the boy is super talented.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL FFFFFS
You clearly don't understand anything about football so i'm not gonna waste my time arguing. Just know there is a difference between being talented and actually turning up on the big stage, something Hazard fails to do. I have no doubt Hazard can be a world class player in the future, but the fact of the matter is he is definitely not in the big boys league AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME. Comparing him to Bale, Ribery and Robben is absolutely treachery and in my opinion you should be hung, drawn and quartered.
Original post by hayles101
Arsenal did well yesterday, it's progress that you didn't get beat after how you performed against the top teams last season. They could have nicked it in the end but overall draw was fair result. Wilshere did well for his goal but as I dislike him as a person, I'd much prefer Ramsey to do better this season as he's just so much more likable.

Despite the good performance, I saw earlier in the thread that a CDM will make Arsenal title winners and I have to say I think that's a very strange comment. Has anyone seen the Chelsea and City squad currently? Depth is unreal. If Arsenal want to seriously challenge for the title, they need a 30 a season world class striker, another CB, a DM and another defender to cover for Gibbs/Debuchy. That is realistically where it needs to be.

We will see. Decent game for Arsenal for sure but still far off IMO. The first 3 games of this season, Arsenal have been poor. Then again Liverpool were woeful yesterday. Gonna be real tight for top 4 this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed, Wenger has really left the squad short. Again. Arsenal can't compare to City or Chelsea over a 38 game league due to lack of numbers, already exhausted their defensive options after Debuchy's injury.

Weird statement though about Arsenal progressing. Same result in last season's fixture and they really should have closed the game after going 2-1 up. Wenger has done brilliant things but his unwillingness to change and pure hubris will prevent Arsenal from challenging for the title and will fall out of Europe early again I assume.
So why are Man Utd suddenly title contenders??? I hate the media so much.
Arsenal need a bit of backup cover in defence. I don't get why Jenkinson was loaned out if Wenger wasn't going to buy a CB for backup. Arsenal need a DM and in other areas they're goodish but not amazing. On their day the midfield can beat anybody I guess but Ozil has been off form, Sanchez has done ok so far. But I just see average players.

In FIFA terms(not actually using their ratings as that's just spouting bull**** but as my genuine assessment) you'd put Arsenal as a team full of 75-85 players(some just average, some above average and close to world class level) while City and Chelsea are a team full of 80-90 players(aka close to perfect, the very worst they have is an above average player/top 4 player), United being around 75-90 players, their setup is yet to be known on how effective they are. Now Liverpool are on the same level as you in terms of first 11 but their setup is much, much better than yours.
(edited 9 years ago)
btw a bugs life no longer has the most assists since 2010 its now messi.
Reply 8857
Original post by jam278
Arsenal need a bit of backup cover in defence. I don't get why Jenkinson was loaned out if Wenger wasn't going to buy a CB for backup. Arsenal need a DM and in other areas they're goodish but not amazing. On their day the midfield can beat anybody I guess but Ozil has been off form, Sanchez has done ok so far. But I just see average players.

In FIFA terms(not actually using their ratings as that's just spouting bull**** but as my genuine assessment) you'd put Arsenal as a team full of 75-85 players(some just average, some above average and close to world class level) while City and Chelsea are a team full of 80-90 players(aka close to perfect, the very worst they have is an above average player/top 4 player), United being around 75-90 players, their setup is yet to be known on how effective they are. Now Liverpool are on the same level as you in terms of first 11 but their setup is much, much better than yours.

Pfft a bit? Mate, if we want to be competing for anything we need at least two/three more defenders. We need a CB, another RB (considering we allowed Jenko to go) and another player similar to Chambers - i.e young & versatile. When Gibbs is out we get raped on the left side, Monreal isn't a bad player, not like Santos or Silveste were.. But he does cost us a lot. I say we need two/three because we're more likely to have injuries & given our luck, especially in the defence.

A DM was a must for us & I don't see why that wasn't addressed. I was all for this urgent need to a striker business because I though that DM would be addressed and ST position wouldn't. Can't understand why Wenger didn't invest in a DM.

Apart from that, I think our team will grow, sure we have a 75-85 team at the moment but everyone has potential & with the addition of a DM & some more defensive cover, I'm sure many of our players can push us up.

Loosing big games takes a lot out from the team as a whole. While the bigger losses are mainly defensive frailties, it takes away the confidence of the team as a whole.

*sigh*
Original post by AliRizzo
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL FFFFFS
You clearly don't understand anything about football so i'm not gonna waste my time arguing. Just know there is a difference between being talented and actually turning up on the big stage, something Hazard fails to do. I have no doubt Hazard can be a world class player in the future, but the fact of the matter is he is definitely not in the big boys league AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME. Comparing him to Bale, Ribery and Robben is absolutely treachery and in my opinion you should be hung, drawn and quartered.

Yeah, alright Ali, like you know any better than me about football :rolleyes:
Everyone has different opinions, learn to accept them instead of lashing out when others think differently you fool.

As with Hazard failing to turn up on the big stage, didn't Robben FAIL to score in a 1v1 situation in the World Cup Final 2010? He scores a jammy 90th minute goal against Dortmund in the CL Final, and suddenly he turns up in big matches? The same player that missed a crucial penalty in the CL 2012 Final at his own ground? Robben had so many chances, and he's a lot more experienced, being 30 years old, while Hazard is 23 years old. Hazard didn't turn up in his first World Cup, did Ronaldo or Costa turn up in the tournament? So why is Costa suddenly one of the best strikers in the world, but Hazard can't be compared to the likes of the top wingers? Hazard didn't turn up in the knock out stages of the CL, that's only because he wasn't fully fit. The only time he was fully fit was against PSG away, and he scored a penalty and hit the post in that game, so clearly he was dangerous in that game, and you probably don't even remember Hazard hitting the post. That's why he came off in the 2nd leg, Mourinho clearly knowing Hazard wasn't fit to play such an important match. You probably also don't remember Chelsea dominating that first leg, in which we eventually lost 3-1.

He doesn't turn up in big matches, wasn't Man City v Chelsea last season a big match? Didn't he turn up then? Wasn't Chelsea v Liverpool a big match last season? Didn't he turn up then? What about the UEFA Super Cup when Hazard scored against Bayern, didn't he turn up then? He is more than capable of turning up if the opportunity was given. I have no doubt he'll prove it, you're just a clear Chelsea hater. You don't watch Hazard play every weekend like I do. He created bags of chances for the other players, but clearly he is no Ribery, Bale or Robben... :rolleyes:
Would you rather support a financially stable club that enjoys the odd success, or a club that does not accept failure as an option because they just bought £200m worth of players?

Latest